2,500 Plants For Personal Use

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A 30-year-old man who told police $2.5 million worth of marijuana plants was for "personal use" got nine months house arrest yesterday.

Cory Trunks, of Talwood Drive, pleaded guilty Jan. 18 to possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking and production of marijuana.

Police found Trunks growing 2,500 plants, ranging from four to five feet tall, hidden behind a tall wooden fence on a City of Kawartha Lakes Road property Aug. 22, federal prosecutor Chris Corkery said. Within the growing area, police found watering barrels and chemicals to feed the plants, and found 60 plants inside the house, court heard.

Defence lawyer Dave McFadden said his client has been using drugs for half his life and suffers from an undiagnosed form of depression. He is a father and has no criminal past, he said.

Trunks, who sat in court with a shaved head and goatee, told Mr. Justice Robert Graydon he had made a mistake and won't be repeating it.

"I just regret what I put my family through and kids," Trunks said. Graydon said grow operations are consistently tied to organized crime and create havoc in our communities, but took Trunks' history and living situation into account.

"There is a need in this case to deter all the people that wish to make money from the grow and sale of marijuana," he said.

"I'm satisfied Mr. Trunks is likely to be rehabilitated and won't be before the courts on similar charges."

In addition to his house arrest, which will be served as part of an 18-month probation order, Trunks was ordered to perform 100 hours of community service work.

News Hawk- User 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Osprey Media
Author: GALEN EAGLE
Copyright: 2007, Osprey Media
Website: Osprey Media. - Peterborough Examiner - Ontario, CA

Back
Top Bottom