2 Ex-El Paso High Students Sentenced In Pot Smuggling

Herb Fellow

EL PASO – A pair of former El Paso high school students were sentenced to federal prison Wednesday for their roles in a marijuana smuggling ring. Rene Humberto Perez, 18, was sentenced to just over 10 years while 19-year-old Rosalia Vega was ordered to spend nearly four years in federal prison.

Perez and Vega, former students at Horizon High School, pleaded guilty in October to charges of conspiracy to import more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana, importation of more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana, conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana, and possession with intent to distribute more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana.

According to federal prosecutors, Perez recruited Vega and other former and current Horizon students to help smuggle more than 10,000 pounds of marijuana from Ciudad Juarez, across the Rio Grande from El Paso, into Texas and Oklahoma City.

Other defendants in the case, primarily drug couriers, have also been convicted of drug charges in state or federal court, prosecutors said.

The pair's co-defendant, 39-year-old Ruben Delgado of Del Valle, faces a minimum of 20 years in prison when he is sentenced on April 28.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Copyright: 2008, The Associated Press
Website: 2 ex-El Paso High students sentenced in pot smuggling | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

IF I was 18, poor and dumb, it's what I would do too. Actually, I did, just not that kinda quantity.. emmm not even close :)

3 CEO's got caught price fixing RAM for computers and just about every electronic instrument out there. Estimates ranged from 1.5 to 3.6 Billion dollars in inflated profits for Samsung, and 2 other companies. All three paid fines and walked.

This effected the markets over the entire globe, and effected people at the pocket, everywhere. Somehow, there is a slight problem with our sentencing priorities.

Sometimes I think about what general legalization of cannabis will look like. Corporate america will likely get into the growing and distribution of cannabis when that happens. And along with that will come price-fixing, quality problems, etc. When the face of this goes from us, to a bunch of guys in suits, I'm sure we won't see the egregious penalties that the underground growers and distributors are facing now.

:bongrip: Peace

Somehow, there is a slight problem with our sentencing priorities.
Now that's good preaching, however, I think it is a MAJOR problem with our sentencing priorities.

Back
Top Bottom