2 questions about cookies please

dogno

do i have to use cheesecloth or normal gauze(the one u get in pharmacies) can work?
and how long do the cookies last? if i can use 1 every 1-2 days and i get like 40 out of a recipe and they last only 1 week that can be a problem!

Re: 2 questions about cookies please :)

Also making the dough and rolling them up for say a weeks worth of cookies will keep them nice and fresh and let you eat at your leisure.
I end up making way too many medibles and end up passing them out a week later, I don't want to be a waster :laugh:

Roll up a nice 10 cookies worth of dough in some clingwrap in a nice cylinder like fashion & freeze them up individually. Pull out when needed, slice to desired width, bake, and then get baked!

I would also use the cheese cloth, or any type of stainless strainer preferably a smaller micron.

Would a coffee filter catch some of the goodies you would want to let through?

well i have no idea where to get cheesecloth (i live in italy btw) .. id rather not try with gauze then, can u guys tell me where to get it?
and these are the recipes i think i will be using, if u got better ones please post them below!
for the cookies:
Cannabutter Sugar Cookies
butter(2 but they are basically the same, im a noob so i need all the info i can get)
How To Make Cannabutter
CannaButter In 7 Easy Steps!

also any advice on dosage? my tolerance is zero atm, and im using these for medicinal purposes, so 1 cookie would probably last the entire day(if i dont fall asleep). the strain im using is also fairly high on thc. half a cup of butter and bud sounds good, or should i do a quarter?

The purpose of the filter is so nothing but liquid gets through--am I missing something?

I thought I recalled reading if you are using more of a fatty butter/oil (along the lines of coconut etc.) you may lose some of the headies/potency with that coffee filter as they strain a little too well, I have never personally used coffee filters to strain for edibles and have always opted for a very nice mesh stainless steel screen. I'm sure you can use coffee filters, just some food for thought :battingeyelashes:

& @dog, not sure if they have bargain/dollar stores in Italy but that is where I pick up my cheese cloth :Namaste: grocery stores will have them in stock in the cooking section.

hmm alright ill try to get it, if i dont i can always use a steel filter right? tho i think some of the plant matter will go thru with that..

and for grinding, uhm, i can try and search for a coffe grinder. i guess if i cut them over and over with scissors they wouldnt be fine enough?

Metal filters are fine yes, try and find the smallest screen possible. If you see a lot of particles that fell through this is ok but your cookies are going to have a lot more of that bud taste. I usually just take scissors and go mad chopping the big nugs down to a decent size. I personally don't use a coffee grinder or anything like that, I prefer bigger pieces to work with because straining it with small grinded stuff will allow for a lot more material to make it through.

Oh, I see.

My first choice is always the cheesecloth. I also agree that the metal screens are preferable compared to paper coffee filters. Regardless, I've used the unbleached coffee filters as a last resort; they worked great. I don't understand how it would filter too well. The medicine is in a liquid state at that point.

If you can remember where you read that I would love a chance to see it--hate the thought of giving bad advice.

Dog

Sorry about highjacking your thread a little. I generally use about 1oz trim to 1 cup of butter. You can play with that to find your sweet spot--I like em strong like bull. Any store in Italy that sells baked goods or supplies should have cheesecloths.

Both of the threads you cited are great recipes and will work. They're old school, but effective. If you have the cash and can get it shipped to your home I would suggest looking into the magicalbutter.com machines. They make butter making way too easy. Then all you would have to do is find a favorite cookie recipe.

Check out this guys review.
More on Magical Butter

well im gonna be using bud with a little bit of trim in it (didnt cut extremely well cos i knew i wouldnt smoke it anyway), so if 1 oz of trim is already very strong then half an oz of bud+trim to a cup of butter should be good. thanks bros :)

Gadfly, Here is the thread buddy, I think it is more of a preference to what you use honestly I was taught one way and have always ran with it :) I do like both metal strainers for the first run through, then the cheese cloth to catch excess. Those magical butter machines are so sweet, hopefully santa claus takes note :;):

I use a plain white cotton t shirt... really pisses off the wife but works great! Freeze your cookies, they will last for months

btw i looked some stuff up and came into this: Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step - With Pictures!
im gonna be making cookies not brownies, but still the guide talks about 2 things that can improve potency: decarbing the weed and adding some Soy Lecithin powder(it says it can increase the potency by making our body absorb the thc more?)

since its my first time i shouldnt overdo this lol but im always paranoid and wanna do things perfectly, what do you guys think about these 2 techniques? should i use them with the cookies?

I decarb my buds that would be a yes for that, decarbing is going to activate the thc without burning it, pick up a turkey/oven bag and place your herb in it, I personally shoot for around 220 Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.

I have always wanted to use soy lecithin but have never been able to find it at the local stores, I say go for it if you can get your hands on it! :)

when im making the butter cant i just boil the water for 10-15 minutes with the cannabis and butter inside, wouldn't that be the same as decarbing? (instead of boiling water add butter melt it and then put down to simmer and add the weed)

and yea ill try to get my hands on that, in italy u cant really find shit related to cannabis so im used at having to order things :p

I would not boil it because you can actually turn that yummy medicine into vapor. Decarbing is recommended but not necessary. Some people use a double boiler (boil water in one pot and have the butter and meds in another smaller pot that's sitting in the boiling water) some let it simmer for an extended period of time. Others have their own techniques.

If you choose to boil it or simmer it just make sure you constantly stir and keep the meds away from the bottom of the pan so you can save as much as possible.

hey bro i figured that on my own :) i decarbed it and then used the double boiler method, (tho i think the temperature was a little too low, the butter went out fine. ill get a thermometer the next time) now the dough is sitting in the fridge, in a bit i'll get some and make some cookies, and freeze the rest

simmer the mixture until the weed sinks and no longer floats...a crock pot gets around 200 degrees.

I do not decarb the dry flower the 200 from the crockpot over several hrs does it all by itself.

I make 2lb batches almost weekly.

As far as straining, I use a fine mesh kitchen strainer, freeze it and skim any left over off the bottom of the frozen patty.

You can use gauze if that is all you have just make it about 4 or 5 layers to catch as much solids and possible.

Back
Top Bottom