2 same strain plants cure with different results wtf?

vyserage

OK so I have 2 plants that are Gorilla Glue #4.

Harvested at same time, for now I'll refer to them as plant 1 and plant 4.
Plant 1 is still curing at 65% humidity in jars since the 14th of december. Anytime humidity hit 66 or higher I would leave top off of jar for 1 to 2 hours. If humidity was 65 or lower, I only open lid for 3 minutes or so once every sunday. Now this plant has no real smell, in fact my buddy said it kinda smells like dirt lol. It's a damn good smooth smoke though. Once it hits 60% humidity I'll throw in a boveda pack and store it for good until use.

Plant 4: still the same strain, It kept getting up to 71% or higher so I would leave it sitting out on dry rack for 8 hours. I repeated this step a few times I believe but when I did it for the final time, i let it sit out for like 12 hours and it ended up settling at 59% rh in Kar and not any higher. I fucked up by not letting it sit in its "cure zone" of 65 to 60%. Now the result is this, it's clearly a more harsh smoke but yet has a very nice smell, unlike the correctly still curing plant 1.

I was under the impression the smell is the same via the strain yet this isn't my case. Both plants dried in closet for 4 days before clipping from stem and jarring. Am I missing something? I was thinking maybe once the bud drops below a certain humidity say like 60% or less, something occurs to where the smell comes out? I was thinking of testing this theory on 1 of the 2 jars of plant 1 to see what happens if I let it sit out for a few hours a day until rh = a steady 60 or below but not below 55 of course as that's the exiting point for a cure.

Thoughts?

I'm reading a book about breeding cannabis right now in which the author talks a lot about how until you have inbred a new strain a lot, you still get variability in the plants grown from seeds from the same plant, including things like the smell. It's possible that the seeds you got still don't have "stable genetics," i.e. that the plant has been bread with itself so much that all variability is gone and all the brothers and sisters are identical except for gender.

Just a possibility...

Back
Top Bottom