2 seeds,1 pot - what to do?

Re: 2 seeds,1 pot... what to do?

What is the strain, if they grow small why not... The roots might fight for space... I would see it has each plants gets on gallon of soil and so on.

When attaching pics select medium only when up loafing. Made the same mistake. There a little it close. Are you afraid to transplant? It seems hard and I was afraid to but I water/ food after one to lock in soil and help them recover. Also go up in gallon size to at least three

Just transplant one of them. Careful that their roots are not intertwined when you transplant, but they'll do fine once separated. Everyone repeats the mantra "autos don't like to transplant" but I've never had problems with it. I think thete is a lot of "old" knowledge & attitudes about autos floating around that might not necessarily hold as much water as it did a few years back.

I think if you let them grow like they are, you are going to have big issues down the road. They are way too close to each other to share a pot, especially a 2gal. So you really have 2 choices IMO: Uproot one and let the other grow without interruption, or try and transplant one into another pot. There are plenty of journals with autos being transplanted successfully. Yes, it will stress it, but at this point you don't have many options if you want to keep two going.

EDIT** If you are going to attempt either of these options, do it to the one pictured on the right. It already is growing a little slower and it is closer to the pot edge.

I often supplement my crop with seeds from a big bag I have from pollination mishaps. I just sprinkle a bunch in a large pot of soil and let them grow up in a jungle- weeding out the weaker ones as the stronger ones take over. As they sex I axe the males and end up with the strongest half dozen or so females then transplant. Neanderthal method- but it's just a supplemental strain- saves me space and lets the strongest survive. The point being that I do this transplanting thing often. They aren't autos but I suspect it won't make a big difference. The roots will be tangled together. Your best option might be to just take a knife and slice down the center of the pot- then ease one section out while holding the other one. Try using a bit of cardboard or something to make a dam to restrain the one that's staying. Possibly two pieces- cut to the shape of half the pot, with a large space cut out for the plant stem. Just ideas- get creative and you may find something if you are worried about root damage. I would probably just use my hands. Best to do it when the soil is not soaked. If you're super careful you may get the soil and roots out in one piece. I doubt it though. I think you're going to have a hard time getting this repotting to work cleanly- usually when I do it I end up with soil falling everywhere and roots dangling.
However- It doesn't bother the plants much at all when this happens- they carry on growing with barely a hitch. Which is my main point with all this blathering.

If you're going to transplant anyway- put them in some better soil. Flushing at this stage will give you a waterlogged pot I think and may set back the girls from overwatering related root problems, before the soil has a chance to dry out again. Just my 2c anyway...

You can separate them now,be gentle and put them in their own pots with some good soil.auto's from my reading dont like to be transplanted,I would place them in their final resting place and dont overwater.

Back
Top Bottom