2 Up Pots In 3 Weeks: Gorilla Glue Autos

SeniorMoments

Yes.
This auto ( and 2 others ) have lived in 3 different containers , in soil , over the last 22 days.
I Up Potted twice from the original seedling container.
Yes.
I am aware the standard refrain is “ Do Not Up Pot Auto’s “.
Why do it , you ask ?
Although I have NO experience w/ auto’s and very limited experience w/ photoperiod cannabis,
I have up potted hundreds and hundreds of veggies and flowers , and a few photoperiods .
All kinds of plants. Well , a bunch , and a very wide variety of plants.
There are some plants that do best with direct seed into final resting spot rather than starting inside and replanting outside.
But , I will say , I have NEVER had an issue with up potting a healthy plant , from a small pot to a larger pot.
Period. The trick is to up pot every 7 to 10 days.
Done before 4 weeks.
This is based on MY experience , as mentioned above.
In fact , my experience shows remarkable growth IMMEDIATELY.
No sign of “ shock “ what so ever.
I also read some journals here that had successfully up potted auto’s and a few for a long time .
I successfully harvested a number of plants recently and ended up with quite a large quantity.
Enough to keep my family and friends well stocked for some time.
So no loss if this grow goes to s#$&t.
I had some feminized Gorilla Glue Auto seeds and an empty , sterilized grow space .
So , I decided to do an experiment.
Why not ?
3 seeds dropped Gorilla Glue Auto
3 germinated.
3 seedlings.
Day 8. Up potted.
Day 19. Up potted to final 5 gal fabric pot
I decide to try 3 different training methods.
3 plants . 3 techniques .
Which one will have the best results ?.
Top only on one.
LST per @InTheShed tutorial on another.
And finally a Quad line. This is Wendy.
The quad line plant is showing the least amount of growth .
But never the less , Sunday thru today , Wed , she is moving on well .
See photo.
The other 2 are kicking ass so this might not be the best comparison w/ the abuse I inflicted on Wendy;) VS the other 2 ?
Will these plants flower to early ?
Will these plants be stunted ?
Will I end up w/ hermies ?
Will I end up w/ low quality , low quantity flower ?

IDK.
Follow along and we shall see.
AFBA1489-9763-452F-8D7F-D3D858DE51EC.png

5177E4B0-AF38-4155-9A39-A4AE10312702.jpeg
AFBA1489-9763-452F-8D7F-D3D858DE51EC.png
0889361D-83EE-4B66-81E1-0F9996E8A1AF.png
5B5CF98E-7C81-462E-B107-762974ED16B2.png
7FFF376E-747E-4DCE-8CF3-E9456942E298.png
D6EAC42C-7389-413D-AF7C-D642EEA34D3C.png

The theory behind not transplanting autos is that any disturbance of the roots will slow the plant down to one degree or another, depending on how well it goes. From very little disturbance to a whole lotta shakin' going on.

Given that autos have an internal clock telling them when to flower, slowing down the growth at all will diminish your harvest from not-at-all to a whole lotta diminishing going on.

So the reason to put your autos into their final home from birth is a safety-first approach. As long as you water it correctly, there is no downside to doing it that way, compared to the possible downsides encountered from upcanning.

The theory behind not transplanting autos is that any disturbance of the roots will slow the plant down to one degree or another, depending on how well it goes. From very little disturbance to a whole lotta shakin' going on.

Given that autos have an internal clock telling them when to flower, slowing down the growth at all will diminish your harvest from not-at-all to a whole lotta diminishing going on.

So the reason to put your autos into their final home from birth is a safety-first approach. As long as you water it correctly, there is no downside to doing it that way, compared to the possible downsides encountered from upcanning.
I get it Shed .
Lots of folks here say there are “possible “ downsides.
But , my point is that I have NOT seen any evidence of up potting causing anything but immediate growth. EVER. Hundreds and hundreds. Literally.
Look at my last 2 photos.
3 days after transplant.
This plant , due to prepping for quad , is growing the least of the 3 plants ?
It has DOUBLED in size in 3 days.
The other 2 have tripled in size.
I suspected this would happen.
It’s early. Maybe issues start showing up soon ?
IDK ?

Like I said, it's not recommended but it might work out just fine too! Same reason I don't top autos...why tempt fate when there is no need to.
That really is the question.
Is there a need to do this ?
Will anything ( beyond the obvious ) done to an auto improve the end result ?
Will one or all of the training methods I am trying make a Positive difference ?
IDK ?
3 auto’s with 3 different training techniques .
We shall see how they turn out.
Here is why I keep up potting at least twice ( tomato 3 times ) , all my veggies , flowers and also my few photos. When I do , I see immediate phenomenal growth. That healthy root ball expands each time. Fresh soil and fresh newts. Soaking up the available newts and transferring the good stuff to the plant.
The results I see are all positive.
@Emilya said “ a plant is a plant “.
We shall see.

I am of the firm belief that all these special rules about autos are just marketing hype, designed to take an inferior product (autos) and sell it as an easier and faster to grow version of cannabis that even takes less nutes as an added bonus. Why wouldn't the consumer prefer autos? Never mind that they are genetically going to be smaller and less potent than their photo cousins...

a plant is a plant is a plant... don't tell the marketing folks that though.

That really is the question.
Is there a need to do this ?
Will anything ( beyond the obvious ) done to an auto improve the end result ?
Will one or all of the training methods I am trying make a Positive difference ?
IDK ?
3 auto’s with 3 different training techniques .
We shall see how they turn out.
Here is why I keep up potting at least twice ( tomato 3 times ) , all my veggies , flowers and also my few photos. When I do , I see immediate phenomenal growth. That healthy root ball expands each time. Fresh soil and fresh newts. Soaking up the available newts and transferring the good stuff to the plant.
The results I see are all positive.
@Emilya said “ a plant is a plant “.
We shall see.

im in ! :popcorn:

I’m in @SeniorMoments, just seen this. I’ve never grown an auto. I’ve seen em topped and trained though, @politoed did it in his last run. Following @Asesino85 guide to quadlining and auto. Turned out fine. I can’t comment on it personally though, I believe he topped and trained in and around day 21 (don’t quote me on that) I’ll see if I can dig up the journal and post the link.

this is @politoed

this is @Asesino85

I’m in @SeniorMoments, just seen this. I’ve never grown an auto. I’ve seen em topped and trained though, @politoed did it in his last run. Following @Asesino85 guide to quadlining and auto. Turned out fine. I can’t comment on it personally though, I believe he topped and trained in and around day 21 (don’t quote me on that) I’ll see if I can dig up the journal and post the link.
Great info . Thanks.

The reason for getting all your training done before day 21 was so the plant has time to recover before it starts to flower. Will I’ve run a couple of autos that were exceptional most were not. There’s only a couple of reasons I’d run an auto these days and one is if you have a really short Grow season such as Scandinavia. Also If you have only 1 space to both veg and flower in.

I have messed with autos but there’s others that know much more than me about them. I do have one going right now ( by accident) that was transplanted once as well as topped. The plant growth slowed as expected after it was topped but came around within a week.

I really can’t comment on how topping/transplanting autos would effect the overall yield but your experiment sounds like fun and I’m curious to know how your plants respond so I’m in! :passitleft:

The reason for getting all your training done before day 21 was so the plant has time to recover before it starts to flower. Will I’ve run a couple of autos that were exceptional most were not. There’s only a couple of reasons I’d run an auto these days and one is if you have a really short Grow season such as Scandinavia. Also If you have only 1 space to both veg and flower in.
Well Penny , I just had to try an auto .
I thought I could grow and harvest by Christmas and take a break before early spring grow starts.
Do you ever see negative issues w/ transplanting healthy plants ?

I have messed with autos but there’s others that know much more than me about them. I do have one going right now ( by accident) that was transplanted once as well as topped. The plant growth slowed as expected after it was topped but came around within a week.

I really can’t comment on how topping/transplanting autos would effect the overall yield but your experiment sounds like fun and I’m curious to know how your plants respond so I’m in! :passitleft:
You probably know more than me about these picky plants.
Welcome StR.

Back
Top Bottom