$20 DIY Worm Bin - Make your own worm castings!

You can make so many things with those plastic tubs!!!
I have tried feeding newspaper in my bin but the worms won´t touch it.
This is a very nice tutorial Closedcircuit! Reps+

I don't blame them, what passes for news these days is just a joke. We don't need depressed and brainwashed worms anyway.

You can make so many things with those plastic tubs!!!
This is a very nice tutorial Closedcircuit! Reps+

Not a problem! I now very aware that this design is lacking in many ways. I'll be attempting to turn them into a flow through design pretty soon. Heck maybe I will even have a left over bin to add to my drying box...which was also a failure! :)

I don't blame them, what passes for news these days is just a joke. We don't need depressed and brainwashed worms anyway.

:bravo:

Frankenstein Redesign: The Long Awaited Flow Thru Bin

The only parts I had to buy were:

-4 right angle brackets (big enough to handle 2x4's but no specific size or dimension is necessary)

-12' of 1/8 galvanized cable. (About 3' more than I needed)

If you guys don't quite get how this work please watch these videos. Its not the best, but its one of the clearest examples of the underside of a Flow Thru bin.

[video=youtube;3RPtlROnCT4]
[/video]

[video=youtube;c8rQ3tt1l_0]
[/video]

Take one of the old worm containers and cut out the bottom. I used a jig saw to blaze through it. Try to keep neater lines than I did ;)

WP_20151025_12_20_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20151025_12_21_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20151025_12_22_46_Pro.jpg

Can't remember the dimensions off hand :) I really threw this thing together in about an hour. Depending on the container you use, your dimensions will vary. So its not really important if you match mine. One suggestion, don't be like me and try to drill the webbing holes after the frame is attached to the container. Plan it a little better beforehand...you will see what I mean.

Oh ya, the frame is held together with a couple right angle brackets.

WP_20151025_14_05_13_Pro.jpg

Secure the base. Preferable you should use a wide headed screw with washers to prevent tearing the plastic. I did not.

WP_20151025_14_07_48_Pro.jpg

This is what I was talking about...trying to match up the holes here is not ideal when everything is already attached. But this will be filled with worm shit. So I guess I was thinking at the time it didn't need to be that exact. Plus, Frankenstein right?! :) It doesn't have to be sexy!

WP_20151025_14_22_06_Pro.jpg

I am using 1/8' galvanized cable. These clamping stoppers (or whatever they are called) are made for 1/8" cable. Try to get something that matches to hold cable at each end of the frame.

Also, you are going to want to staple down these edges so they are flush (relatively) with the frame. Staples are not pictured here... But I promise I did it!

WP_20151025_14_22_12_Pro.jpg

STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW BABY!!

WP_20151025_14_38_03_Pro.jpg

I padded the bottom with a brown paper grocery bag and filled the bin up with the contents of my old dead bin and a couple failed compost bins. Make sure to spray it down periodically as you are filling it out. I added a few inches at a time: wet it down and with a spray bottle, add a few more inches...you can layer it with amendments too. I layered with kelp and glacial rock dust. Just remember to to get it moist for the worms...not sopping wet. But reasonably damp.

WP_20151025_14_51_23_Pro.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED (I havent ordered my worms yet).....

Nice redesign CC. Next year I'll have to try worms again.

Back
Top Bottom