20 US Senators Say "Better To Give Veterans Pot Than Pills"

Robert Celt

An amendment was added to the Veterans Affairs appropriations bill that would allow America's disabled soldiers to be prescribed marijuana, but it's an uphill battle for this commonsense measure to become law.

On Thursday, the US Senate Appropriations Committee approved an amendment that would allow Veterans Affairs (VA) doctors to recommend, in states where it is legal, medical marijuana as a treatment option. The bipartisan amendment, adopted 20-10, would allow VA doctors to operate under the same rules as civilian physicians in medical marijuana states.

Prior to this amendment, US soldiers seeking access through the VA to marijuana for pain management following a debilitating war-time injury, or to manage anxiety that so often triggers PTSD, or for any other applicable purpose, were instead prescribed highly-addictive opiate-based narcotics.

The amendment, added to the FY2017 Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies appropriations bill, was sponsored by Senators Steve Daines (R-MT) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR). The measure, however, may not survive the bill-making process. An identical provision was added to last year's VA appropriations bill but was removed on the floor of the Senate, prior to a vote for adoption.

Incomprehensibly, the measure does not extend additional marijuana use rights to disabled US veterans vis-Ã -vis their civilian counterparts, but simply prevents the VA from using funds "to interfere with the ability of veterans to participate in medicinal marijuana programs approved by states or deny services to such veterans."

At present, Veterans Affairs medical staff cannot legally speak to patients about the possibility of medical marijuana, even in states where marijuana has been legalized. This antiquated policy means that the US government trails behind 23 states and Washington DC, which have legalized medical marijuana.

Until and unless this measure is passed, American Veterans continue to be forced to break the law, often self-treating bouts of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression and pain by buying marijuana illegally, despite regular reporting by veterans that the drug relieves their symptoms.

The VA requires that physicians use practices that have been scientifically proven to treat an underlying condition, but officials argue that there is insufficient historical data on the use of marijuana for a scientific consensus on its efficacy.

Vet_and_Meds.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 20 US Senators Say "Better To Give Veterans Pot Than Pills"
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: Mike Whiter

So tired of the hypocrisy surrounding cannabis, it's medicinal, and recreational uses. In the face of full legalization small operations face being pushed out of the picture by big business that has fought tooth and nail to keep this natural herb illegal. I would never support a corporation that grows cannabis like its wheat to sell to the masses. It's like fighting for our souls, must the wealthy control everything? Forever cannabis has been for the people by the people, right now in its semi-legal representation it remains that way. However, once full legalization takes place all the mega wealthy companies will get into the business and take the soul form the plant that has breathed life into so many households and homesteads. I couldn't imagine big pharmaceutical companies growing cannabis! The same companies that lobby against it so that our veterans can't even get it legally, but can take the poison they dish out by the tons. This is one issue I am welling to get totally politically involved in! Keep up the good fight!

Spread peace, love, and music!

I'm with you Fuzzy, if the corps get hold of this one they will become the cartels and every legal medicinal user in the country will be at risk.

I'm curious... What would your perfect world look like? You say legalizing it will let "big business" make big money. So you want to keep it illegal? Or perhaps you want to make it legal but "big business" isn't allowed to create products for us. I'm really not seeing the middle ground here. Please enlighten me....

As you probably already know big pharma doesn't give a hoot about anything but keeping you buying their products. The FDA is in their pocket and will mandate whatever they want making it impossible for anything but pharma to meet the product specs. Keeping it in the hands of the regular folks will allow more innovation and more divers products. I'm sure that there are many colleges that would do the picking apart of the chemistry and allow everyone access to the results. Free market always produces better innovation and diversity.

Yes, big pharma is bad. No argument from me.

I think the only thing that will make a difference is to totally remove cannabis from any drug schedule. Dropping it from schedule I to schedule II moves cannabis into the same class as prescription drugs which we all know is big pharma's means of control. Removing it will make it totally legal without control. Then anyone, anywhere could grow, use, process, create product, etc. and big pharam couldn't compete with that openness. However, removing it from the drug schedule isn't going to happen unless congress removes it (with our 'do nothing' congress this isn't going to happen). DEA isn't going to remove it on it's own.

Right now sitting here in Oregon and basking in glory of "voter initiative" and hoping it stays this way.

Back
Top Bottom