2014 HeavyWeights Duke It Out for the Silver Coin

TheCapn

TheCapn and S1ingblade, fight for the "Silver coin" in the:

2014 Heavyweight Championship

Last year, sling and I did a "cook off" grow. We started with two plants, vegged for two months, and flowered for two months. We had different strains, different lights, nothing was the same. This year, we even up the playing field.

The strain will be: GrandaddyPurple Dream
From the breeder: "PURPLE DREAM is our new super hybrid, bred from two super strains. Combining the the heavy indica effect of our Original Grand Daddy Purp male and the high-yielding gene of a quality Blue Dream clone, this ultra-dense plant boasts fragrant flowers with fiery yellow/orange hairs against purple-tinted leaves that glisten with frosty resin.

Merging the potent pain-relieving properties of the indica and the stimulating cerebral qualities of the sativa one can expect a medicinal effect that fuses total muscle relaxation and tension relief with pleasant mental and mood-boosting qualities, which promotes a positive sense of calm, comfort and tranquility without being overly sedative.

Marijuana Type: Hybrid (60% sativa / 40% Indica)
Genotype: Blue Dream x Grand Daddy Purp "

I've grown this once before. It is incredibly frosty. Easy to grow. Stays short in flower. Medium sized colas with a purple tint. Don't try to find any seeds because they are not available. GDP produced about 200 of these seeds in 2013 and that was it.

The clones: Yes, clones! We will have the exact same genetics! Each of us start with two clones, just in case one stalls out. After 2 weeks we will narrow it down to one.

Light: 600W HPS Hortilux Super HPS in air cooled hood.

Nutrients: We will be using rock nutrients. No, we did not get "sponsored"! We both bought the nutrients. It isn't cheap but it is very easy to use. One part grow, one part bloom, plus a "super charge" and a "resonator". Foliar spray optional. Neither of us have used the nutrients before, so we will be learning together. most importantly, we will be using the same exact recipe.

The grow method: Capn Style, of course. (Top feed rockwool)

For vegetative growth, plants can be hand watered or auto-irrigated.

In flower, A 15-30 gallon reservoir, with a superoots air pot sitting on top, full of grodan grow-cubes ( rockwool ). A drip ring and water pump will irrigate 1-3 times a day. The picture here demonstrates the grow method:

The prize, donated by sling: 2010 Silver cannabis coin, valued at $70. This coin was given to me back in February as a token of sling's appreciation, when I flew out to his place and helped him get started on his new grow shack. It is currently in my possession, and it means a lot to me, so trust me when I say, I am going to give this grow my ALL, in hopes of being able to hold on to this amazing coin! But it shall be surrendered, should S1ing produce a higher yield.

The contest: This is all about final yield. Who can produce the most with the same light and same nutrient recipe. Only rock nutrients, plus florablend and calmag are allowed. Beneficial bacteria is ok at any time.

The 2014 HeavyWeight Silver Coin Championship kicks off now.
Same genetics, same nutrient recipe, same light, same grow style. Get your seat now and get ready to see some chongers.

Re: 2014 HeavyWeights Duke it out for the Silver Coin with Rock Nutrients

Subscribed: Good luck men!!!!

Now that's a sweet metal.

Are you guys going to write step by step your topping, lst & scrog or is that going to be the secret to success.

Hey Capn, the ppm seems really high for veg & flower. What's your thoughts on this?

:popcorn::smokin:

Finally, a front row seat! :blunt:
Glad I got here early, seems like I'm always doing a 30 page catch up with you guys.
Also, great strain choice! Truly the best of both worlds in my opinion. Let me know if you have anymore clones you want to get rid of :)

Subscribed: Good luck men!!!!

Now that's a sweet metal.

Are you guys going to write step by step your topping, lst & scrog or is that going to be the secret to success.

Hey Capn, the ppm seems really high for veg & flower. What's your thoughts on this?

No secrets here, I'll update often.

I haven't used the Rock Nutrients yet, so I emailed the company and asked them about the PPM as you're right, they do seem really high. I'll let you know what they say.

Sweet ass coin! Good luck to you both in getting a wicked crop for your comp!

So how does the Rock nutrients full line cost compare to GH full line?

So how does the Rock nutrients full line cost compare to GH full line?

Great question. I figured it up for GH the other day, but can't remember where I posted it. For GH, it is an average cost of about $1.10 per 5 gal bucket of nutrients.

For Rock Nutrients, it is $1.60 per 5 gal bucket in VEG, and roughly twice that in flower. I'm not counting any foliar spray. Also, I'm going by the Rock Nutrients chart. I don't know if we'll run it that high.

ROCK:
8 weeks of veg = 8 x 1.60 = 12.80
8 weeks of flower = 8 x 3.20 = 26.60
Total cost to grow a one pound plant, capn style with rock nutrients = $39.40

GENERAL HYDROPONICS:
8 weeks of veg = 8 x 1.10 = 8.80
8 weeks of FLOWER = 8 x 1.10 = 8.80
Total cost to grow a one pound plant, capn style with GH = $17.60

Conclusion: if Rock gives us more yield, the extra cost is negligible.

I like the idea of only using two ingredients in my mix. With GH, I use 5. But you know me, I'm skeptical.

Great question. I figured it up for GH the other day, but can't remember where I posted it. For GH, it is an average cost of about $1.10 per 5 gal bucket of nutrients.

For Rock Nutrients, it is $1.60 per 5 gal bucket in VEG, and roughly twice that in flower. I'm not counting any foliar spray. Also, I'm going by the Rock Nutrients chart. I don't know if we'll run it that high.

ROCK:
8 weeks of veg = 8 x 1.60 = 12.80
8 weeks of flower = 8 x 3.20 = 26.60
Total cost to grow a one pound plant, capn style with rock nutrients = $39.40

GENERAL HYDROPONICS:
8 weeks of veg = 8 x 1.10 = 8.80
8 weeks of FLOWER = 8 x 1.10 = 8.80
Total cost to grow a one pound plant, capn style with GH = $17.60

Conclusion: if Rock gives us more yield, the extra cost is negligible.

I like the idea of only using two ingredients in my mix. With GH, I use 5. But you know me, I'm skeptical.

You wrote this in your blog under "RECENT BLOG POSTS"
8/27/14
Capnstyle-Cost breakdown for initial costs, and recurring costs.
Thanks for the answer capn. You'll need to put in the link.

OK I got her

IMG_180516.JPG

Now I need to get a better camera.

On your mark.....get set.........go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I got her
Now I need to get a better camera.

Glad to see your got yours, and it looks like it fared well!

I just got done setting up a little place for the purple dream babies. I'll be entering only one (the one grown with ROCK nutrients) into the contest, but I'm growing another along side it. I'll be comparing the ROCK nutrients to General Hydroponics. For now, they will be hand watered drain to waste. Light will be a plain old 2', 4 bulb t5 fixture, running 18 hours a day. BTW, T5's are GREAT lights for veg. The 27gal tuff tote will catch the runoff and will hold quite a bit before I need to empty it.

20140904_193108-1.jpg

20140904_193143.jpg

I've mounted my IP cam (Dlink DCS-2132L) and I'll be capturing pictures daily using software called "Blue Iris", so we can get a good idea of the growth rates. The ROCK clone is a little smaller, but that's just because the clone was smaller. They are rooted well but show no signs of new growth yet.

20140904_193149-1.jpg

And here's the first picture from the Dlink IP cam. I'll try not to bump the camera, so when I come back in a week we can see how they have grown.

FightForTheCoin_20140904_192414.jpg

I will reply with pics as soon as they look better. I did start cleaning up an area for them and actually ditched some established plants so I can keep my limits within a legal number. I just hope in a few days the shock they're in eases up. I honestly think it will but only time will tell.

Thanks again Cap'n

Back
Top Bottom