2021 Indoor, Soil, Bruce Banner #3, Senorita Bruce, Grow Journal

024backwards

Hey Everyone,

While a long time partier, I am brand new to the board here and a first time grower as well so could really use everyone's experience as I find my way through my first grow. I am not an overly talkative guy but I need to opine a little on my setup so you can help me better.

Basics:
  1. Indoor Grow
  2. I wanted to grow a Girl Scout Cookie Gelato cross but it didn't germ so as Thanos would have it, I am growing a Bruce Banner #3, from Sensible Seeds.
  3. BB#3 is a feminized, sativa dominant hybrid, ~65day flower cycle, susceptible to early CA/MG deficiency, fussy about temp and RH to get max potency/yield (so I read), and stinky
  4. Equipment: Spyderfarm 2'3"x2'3"x5' tent with 170CFM/m exhaust fan and carbon filter and SF1000W LED w/dimmer (note: the carbon filter is mounted inside the tent and the inline fan outside the tent due to space constraints)
  5. Environment: As a new grower this is where I am spending my time, trying to learn the tent, exhaust and oscillating fans, and humidifier to control temperature and RH. Averages over past 3 days: Temp/RH: 78.5/65.2%, 77.6/67.7%, 76.8/66.6
  6. Soil Mix: 3 parts Fox Farm Happy Frog to 1 part washed, coarse Perlite + .5 TBLSP fine dolomite lime. This will mix up to scale
  7. Containers: Peat Cube to 4" peat pot to 1 gallon fabric pot to 5 gallon fabric pot
  8. Fertilizers: FoxFarm, Fertiloam Root Stimulator
Grow Update 1: Senorita Bruce is 2 weeks old today and while she is a little stretchy, I think she looks good (picts to follow) but would love everyone's thoughts. As history, I germinated the seeds in water for 24 hours then moved them to a Jiffy Peat Cube and dome/darkness/warmth until the first sign of growth, then moved the dome into the tent, turned on lights at 18-6, and hardened out of the dome over week 1. In week 2, this past week, I transplanted the peat cube into a 4" peat pot using the soil mix noted above and give her Fertiloam Root Stimulator every other water (twice now) from "the bottom up". She is about 7-8" from light with the light at about 60-70% intensity and seems to be enjoying herself.

I have one major concern, odor. Simply put, one whiff of this in the house and she will need to come down. I have her in a discrete place, she won't be found unless she gives herself away, and I don't anticipate problems during veg. However, during the later days of flowering, I am nervous that the carbon filter wont be good enough, especially with this strain. I thought about buying a second in-line fan and carbon scrubber and running it in the room, outside the tent, if the smell cant be contained with the single system.

Please comfort me with tales of how you have seen this work before....:peace:

IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_E2981.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG

She turned 3 weeks old yesterday. Transplanted to 1G fab pot after these photos, gave her first feed of fox farm grow big (50% strength) and moved her to full veg this am. Anyone see anything out of the ordinary? Lower leaves are rolling a bit but she seems ok otherwise. Thanks in advance for feedback.
1704BD54-A178-4C61-BF9E-7BC2072B69CA.jpeg
EBFCF73D-B089-487A-AD56-45F6D44EEC03.jpeg

Grow Report 2: Miss Bruce is 4 weeks old today. She’s in a 1G fabric smart pot and is just starting week 2 of veg, 5 1/2 inches tall, short and stocky with tight nodes. First full feed today of fox farm grow big + big bloom + great white mycorrhizae (DI water, PH 6.4). Everything appears ok, leaves look great, smell is magnificent already. I’ve been researching the mainline LST technique and will likely go that way once she gets to her 6-7th node. No real questions that I haven’t asked in the forums but let me know if something seems wrong/you have questions. Thanks in advance as always. Btw, the humidity is high in the pictures as I just washed her. The tent runs 60% RH normally.

D88D6DE2-1A38-4328-871D-889E5263C93B.jpeg
D12C26A2-1C95-413D-9FD0-B869B813984D.jpeg
69FBE42E-4E06-4B7F-AAF3-F5A8010D2913.jpeg

Grow Report 3 (First Top): I've decided to try the mainline/manifold LST approach and topped Miss Bruce down to the 3rd node today, 31 days from seed with 7 nodes strong. Oddly depressing to chop off near half the plant even for the greater good, I needed a toke after that :cool:. In prep for the top I watered this AM with fox farm big bloom and Fertiloam root stimmy with B1, let her perk up under the lights, then topped her close to lights out. I'll strip everything below the third node in a couple of days and then strap her to a tomato cage or use 12 gauge wire to open her up. Pictures below are before and after surgery.

Before topping
0FE17D38-AA1B-4431-8470-3A88F2B98CF5.jpeg
42D20F45-C8F8-4AEC-9DB6-C683616C0C66.jpeg

After topping to 3rd node (note the “nub” left from main stem to promote strong manifold)
7A0F4E21-5165-4433-96F1-29EBA728C565.jpeg

3E3EF3DF-C512-4971-AB6C-9FF328931B3A.jpeg

As always let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Cool, thanks I'll check it out. I'm in soil as well and am maybe 2-3 weeks behind you.
Hello 024 and welcome aboard. There’s a quad lining group on here you should look at. I couldn’t have taken her down that far without crying. I’m a 6th node guy. She’ll be a beauty though...
now onto reality. You’ll not only need a carbon filter but consider noise reduction. All air needs pulled thru the filter. Opening the tent for service of the plant will send an odor. Watering will as well when it gets into flowering. think about the cure aspect too , same considerations. Good Luck on your grow! Looking good so far!

Thanks inky, it still hurts a little but I will get through it. I’ll check the quad chat you mentioned, anxious to learn more

Grow Team, I need your help. What do you think this brown spot is on this leaf It’s the second sign of it now, I topped off the other leaves that had it....is that a cal mag def? Low volume but twice now. I have Dolomite lime in the soil but was wondering if that would get to the plant quick enough

49AC565F-9145-45A3-A80E-5466741CE0C3.jpeg

Hey Inky, you said
now onto reality. You’ll not only need a carbon filter but consider noise reduction.

I have a box fan in the room running all day and the room has our water heater and ac/heater unit in it so the tent fan cant be heard. The carbon filter is working right now, the smell in that tent is like snoop emerils kitchen, but the room is fine. However, i know that when it flowers its going to amplify. When i open to water it I even now have to do so with a spare shirt that I can change afterwards or I risk carrying the smell back to the main house. I was thinking about installing a second carbon scrubber/inline fan in the room outside the tent.......have you ever seen anyone do that?

Hey Inky, you said

I have a box fan in the room running all day and the room has our water heater and ac/heater unit in it so the tent fan cant be heard. The carbon filter is working right now, the smell in that tent is like snoop emerils kitchen, but the room is fine. However, i know that when it flowers its going to amplify. When i open to water it I even now have to do so with a spare shirt that I can change afterwards or I risk carrying the smell back to the main house. I was thinking about installing a second carbon scrubber/inline fan in the room outside the tent.......have you ever seen anyone do that?
As a matter of fact I have that set up now. Tents have carbon, exhaust out of the shed also has one. It’s set on a thermostat. You need to look at those odor eater containers. Not sure of name.

Thanks, I am researching now and will likely buy something this week. I read some stuff about Ono products but need to learn more. I bought a second inline fan/carbon scrubber for the room that the tent sits in and I may be able to vent that fan into an attic space but scared to cut into the plywood to see what's up there. either way that second fan should help, i am mounting it on the ceiling above the tent door, and i'll look at the odor bucket (go google "odor bucket" if you want a laugh).

Back
Top Bottom