2021 Outdoor/GH: 2nd Time Growing!

Day 13 ☀️

Going full sun today to see how they react. Still no water.

Always finding this guy laying against the pots.

20210729_133137.jpg

20210729_133140.jpg

20210729_102840.jpg

20210729_140923.jpg

Update. Watered the other 3 this morning with recharge.

Humidity is really high and lower temps today with the monsoons this weekend.

I have noticed some white/yellow spots on the leaves in these pictures. Hope this isn't PM? I only leave them in the greenhouse at night and they get adequate airflow from being outdoors all day. But it is still a bit concerning if any of you guys could identify what it is...

Also thinking it could be pest related. I still have all the ladybugs. Time to release them soon?

Or it's simply heat stress from this week.

:Rasta:

20210731_114718.jpg
20210731_114715.jpg
20210731_114712.jpg
20210731_114710.jpg
20210731_114707.jpg
20210731_114726.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like thrips to me. Check the leaves with a loupe. They are very small and fast. Can you get some insecticidal soap like Safers?

Thanks @FelipeBlu sounds about right. Will take a closer look later tonight. I can't afford to buy anything right now but have some ladybugs I will release tonight. And I have the materials for their home so hopefully they stick around and at least kill off some of whatever is there. And start reproducing.

Pro tip, before you put them outside get two lengths of 1 metre to 1.5 metre - depending on pot size, plastic (not rubber) poly pipe 13mm. -And jam it in the 4 corners of your pots, so it looks like a hot cross bun, then place a fly screen over the top, and fasten the screen to the side of the pot with pvc tape , wire or zip ties.
This will protect your babies from the sun and elements to a degree but give total protection from bugs.
Ps. If you are after yield outside, 3G pots won’t be big enough
Dj

Pro tip, before you put them outside get two lengths of 1 metre to 1.5 metre - depending on pot size, plastic (not rubber) poly pipe 13mm. -And jam it in the 4 corners of your pots, so it looks like a hot cross bun, then place a fly screen over the top, and fasten the screen to the side of the pot with pvc tape , wire or zip ties.
This will protect your babies from the sun and elements to a degree but give total protection from bugs.
Ps. If you are after yield outside, 3G pots won’t be big enough
Dj

Thanks for stopping by DJ and the wonderful input! Sounds really neat, although that setup may be a bit above my head without any pictures. Yield is not as much of a concern as quality and learning the process and how to deal with issues that come up with growing. Once I have a couple harvests finished I would like to start from seed and do proper uppotting. This year was more of a last minute decision.

I have decided to wait until the morning to release some as it was dark by the time I got home and I'd like to watch it in action. Is this okay or do they only eat at night?

Was planning to make an upside down box home (I hear they like darkness) with a hole on top so they can go in and out. What I have is a sponge and some raisins. Trying to do something with what I have laying around the house. I also heard misting the plants ever so often helps to keep them happy.

Thats funny @Primeau! My dogs would probably do the same or at least be super curious. Hope they are hungry and help even a little bit.

I have heard good things about rosemary oil as well if anyone have experience with it. I'm able to make it at home and spray the leaves with the infused water. More as a deter for future problems. :green_heart:

pyrethrum
This is indeed an excellent old time organic approach - you can simply crush up chrysanthemum flower heads and soak them in water. See this article

I hope your lady bugs stick around after releasing in the morning. Every time I did that - until I learned otherwise - most of them just flew away.

Thanks guys. I released the ladybugs this morning albeit a bit sloppily by accident. When I opened the lid they all came flying out and went straight to their home and soil. They haven't climbed the plants quite yet just chillin in the pots right now scouring. They seem quite content for the time being

looks like they're mating already lol

20210801_102908_resized.jpg

20210801_101810.jpg

This is indeed an excellent old time organic approach - you can simply crush up chrysanthemum flower heads and soak them in water. See this article

I hope your lady bugs stick around after releasing in the morning. Every time I did that - until I learned otherwise - most of them just flew away.
Yah I think that when I was reading up on Lady Bugs the advice was to let them out at night because they don’t fly at night and have better odds of staying in the pot. Hopefully yours stick around though @Abstrakt , I have no experience with lady bugs to speak from so this is interesting! I guess that if you had no bugs eating your plants the ladybugs would probably fly off too from lack of food.

Yah I think that when I was reading up on Lady Bugs the advice was to let them out at night because they don’t fly at night and have better odds of staying in the pot. Hopefully yours stick around though @Abstrakt , I have no experience with lady bugs to speak from so this is interesting! I guess that if you had no bugs eating your plants the ladybugs would probably fly off too from lack of food.

Yeah man it's different for sure. Only reason I had them was because when I was buying soil this year they had a cup of them on the front counter. 1500 of them in there today although I'm not sure how many were actually alive. I see them coming in and out of the box I made.

Still not sure if this will work...
I've been reading thrips are pretty hard to get rid of because of the way they lay their eggs into the leaves.

Ladybugs are in the greenhouse so they shouldn't have too many opportunities to escape. Already found a couple of them out of the tent. We shall see...

Back
Top Bottom