250w HPS stealth dresser: help with heat/fans?!

StealthGrown

Hi, I'm the new guy in town, and I love the site. Very nice, seems like a lot of users!

Have a dresser already gutted and tested (will post pictures). I have a Sun System 250w HPS enclosed ballast with tampered glass lens and a 117 cfm Fantech FX4 which isn't cutting it. Ran some tests in the cool basement (64-72 degrees) and the dresser reached almost 83-84 degrees once within 12 hours. And when the dressers completely figured out and complete it will be going upstairs (hotter) in an air conditioned room. Room has an old AC unit but it works decently after I went through it and cleaned it. With the AC maxed out the room gets to around 69-76 degrees depending on how hot it is outside (will be getting real hot soon). So I'm thinking I'll need at least a 160-200cfm inline fan to keep the dresser cool during all seasons with the 250watter, because the Fantech fx4 is pathetic.

Question is: Whats a strong 4" fan thats somewhat quiet for a room I'll be sleeping in? Strong enough to exhaust through rather than pull through a DIY metal mesh pencil cup scrubber? (because of limited space inside). I'm on a tight tight budget so have been searching the 4" 160-200cfm $80-110 fans and found a couple nice ones, but Im sure they're so loud:

4" Inch 200 CFM Inline Exhaust Duct Fan + Speed Control - eBay (item 270545206270 end time Jul-04-11 10:52:34 PDT)

New 4" Inch 200 CFM Inline Exhaust Duct Fan Vent Blower | eBay

4 in Inline Hydroponics Exhaust Fan Duct Blower | eBay

I know I'm forgetting something, but any helps appreciated! Want to order the fan tonight, or Friday at the latest and get the stealth growing started, and a grow journal. Pics of the setup coming as soon as I figure out how to post them.

75564783.jpg

11284917.jpg

86789276.jpg

99126020.jpg

72780835.jpg

82676095.jpg

94193625.jpg

90817270.jpg

50287472.jpg

Ask about decibel niose;most 4'' inlines are 50-55 I believe.Also check the warrenty,3-5 years is the normal.Good Luck & Stay Safe!!

Anyone know of a quiet 160+cfm fan for under $140? Or if my 250w is going to work in the dresser without problems in a 69-74 degree room with a nice inline fan?

I am broke, just got a little paycheck from random work and that will be gone after an inline fan and a new hygrometer/thermometer. And I want to keep it basic inside without a lot of holes cut in the dresser (already 1 4" hole and 4 2"). Wont a 4" inline fan with enough power do the job in that small space? What do ya think guys?

Trying to order a fan and speed controller by sometime tomorrow, but worried if its too loud to even sleep near and will attract attention. Was told 200+cfm will kick ass in my space, but who really knows.. been battling heat when testing and trying to get this thing together for a few months now.

Thank you Horse for checking in to the thread.

A 250 in that space is pushing it,extra hieght in the cab may help.Are you only venting though your hood?If so alot of heat will go up along the sides of the hood and stay in the top of the grow room.Use your new fan and controler to exhast just the light using glass on the light;and use the fan you have now to exhast(scub)the room;use this fan with the carbon scubber.Also if the light IS'NT under warrenty;you can get the ballast out of the grow room(ballast put out alot of heat.)Good Luck & Stay Safe!!

A 4" Vortex was offered to me for $80-90 from a buddy, supposedly never used. 174 cfm. I know its a good deal compared to $140 prices online, but is it worth it for me?

Is Vortex good or is it just the name? 174cfm -VS- eBay models 188cfm and 200cfm, all speed controllable. What do I do?

A 250 in that space is pushing it,extra hieght in the cab may help.Are you only venting though your hood?If so alot of heat will go up along the sides of the hood and stay in the top of the grow room.Use your new fan and controler to exhast just the light using glass on the light;and use the fan you have now to exhast(scub)the room;use this fan with the carbon scubber.Also if the light IS'NT under warrenty;you can get the ballast out of the grow room(ballast put out alot of heat.)Good Luck & Stay Safe!!

Fan sits on top of dresser pulling hot air through the top of the hood, and more air comes in through the side flange (which may have a DIY scrubber on it like in the picture, if it helps temps that way). I think I got the best temps while pushing the air through the scrubber and placing it on top of the fan, but that was in a 66 degree basement. Soon it will be upstairs in a max of around 72+ degree room.

Personally i really like the vortex fans;very realible.there the only inlines I know that have a 5 year warrenty.Im sure if you were to use the fan you have just to vent the light and then whatever new fan you get to exhaust the room with a scubber;Im sure you'll be able to keep your temps in check.Good Luck & Stay Safe!!PS I would buy the vortex.

Might not get the vortex, guy sounds like he wants to keep it. Will order Tjernlund 200cfm with speed controller or either the EAP 190cfm or Aero flo 185cfm fans. We'll see shortly.

Going to be getting this fan if the vortex guy doesn't make up his mind:
4" Inch Duct Inline PowerFan Exhaust 200 CFM Vortex FAN - eBay (item 180680277417 end time Jun-18-11 06:rollingeyes:37 PDT)

With this speed controller:
Fan Speed Control - eBay (item 140527107830 end time Jun-21-11 13:geek:23 PDT)

And this Hygrometer/Thermometer:
New Indoor Outdoor Digital Thermometer with Hygrometer - eBay (item 280674478324 end time Jul-08-11 16:02:55 PDT)

And this webcam for inside the cab if not too difficult to install and use:
USB Digital 16.0 MP Webcam+Mic + 4 Port Octopus USB Hub - eBay (item 400221162128 end time Jul-06-11 01:02:14 PDT)

Sound good? Anyone use/have used an EAP fan (Elite Air Products HD-4)?
Fans rated at 47 dB and 188cfm I think. Page says 200cfm, but chart shows 188cfm.

Stealth Grown, sounds good,that seems like a very nice fan plus it has a 5-year warrenty.Everything else looks good also.Good Luck & Stay Safe!!

Got the fan and controller. Fans LOUD, but while testing temps I temporarily threw a hole bed spread thing in the Rubbermaid container along with a pillow. Running it at Medium/High: line right between medium going into high. And made a horrible DIY duct muffler with some extra ducting and an XL cup from McDonalds. Its still as loud as my AC in the room. The air coming out of the fan is the loud part since I decided to keep the scrubber on the hood and seal the glass with gorilla glue tape, so theres no type of scrubber/muffler on the end of the fan..until I made the muffler. But shes loud I tell you, not stealthy one bit but can make it live-able with a soundproof box or something. Or putting the scrubber on the end of the fan and pushing air through it even though thats frowned upon.

feedchartbm.jpg

The Blue Mtn Organics feeding chart that I altered down to 4 veg weeks, everyone agree that sounds good? And that I should only be vegging for 3 maybe 4 weeks with a lot of elastic training/LST and a top? because of my limited space of 15-20 inches max.

Back
Top Bottom