2nd Attempt - DP Blueberry

Dude coco is the easiest medium to grow or germinate in.. I use it and it's amazing! It doesn't clump and block oxygen like soil. Your issues are stretching from the light being to far away, and using tap water with an unbalanced pH level. My plants exploded in the coco... I hope yours pick up! Best of luck!

Thanks for chiming in 420farmer! I'm glad someone who uses coco has some advice.

Since you're using CFL lights, Hugh, you can place the bulbs much, much closer. I use 24W CFL's for germination and I keep the bulb 2" (5 cm) away from the top of the plants. Since you're using bigger bulbs, you will probably have to move them a bit further away.

The easiest thing to do is put your hand under the bulb and see if it feels warm. An apt analogy is using your wrist to test the temperature of the milk in a baby's bottle.

If you like, you can progressively move the bulbs closer and closer until you find a happy medium.

Also, a fan blowing over the tops of the seedlings will prevent any hot spots from developing.

Ok... Brief Update:

All but 2 are DEAD.

how they look at the moment...

My favourite aka Baby Blue
DSC_00629.JPG
DSC_00645.JPG

And the other one aka the the other one
DSC_00696.JPG

'Tis a splendiferous photographic image
. #justsaying

The survivors look pretty healthy! I think they will survive to become healthy plants, Hugh.

Just make sure they get lots of light. Use a splint or prop to keep them upright until the stems become strong enough to support themselves.

As they get older, the stems turn from green to brown. The brown is like bark and will soon be stiff enough to easily support the plant. The time from germination until the brown "bark" is when the stems are fragile and you have to baby them through this stage.

I have an eye for healthy plants and those two fit the bill! In about a week to 10 days, you should be over the hump and your grow will become a lot easier.

Hang in there, man!

Before I went to work yesterday they looked like this...
DSC_00733.JPG

Baby Blue
DSC_00754.JPG

The Other One
DSC_00775.JPG

I noticed that the leaves on Baby Blue were yellowish around the edges, and the top layer of soil on both were showing salt like crystals.
I figured this was combination of ph levels and me adding too much nutrients. I left them water for most of the day then used a mixture from tap water and a dash of ph neutralizer. Left it to sit in the grow room for a few hours, to achieve room temperature and to let any other toxins escape. Then I water both generously and stuck them back under the light.

What do you think happened next?

I'm so HAPPY to see your plants recovering. Ok so i totaly have the same light you do. DO NOT use it to start plants :). To start plants under a light you should use nothing bigger then 1 or 2, 35w florecent T8 or T5 or T12 lights (or other small lights). What you do is put the light so its 1/4" away from the plants and keep moving it up when they reach the light. Florecent lights 35w will never burn you plant if their touching so you want to keep them as close as possible... The closer you can keep that light during growing the shorter your plant will be. You will notice when you put them under your big CFL they will grow much taller faster then florecent because of the light there getting + heat. Keeping them in smaller pots to start is also ideal. When my seedlings are as big as yours in your last pic I put a fan on the lowest setting for small amounds of time on and off and increasing it to on all the time. I try not to make it so i have to prop my plants up by doing this. I just watch them get crazy thick stems after the fan is turned on all the time and they hold them selfs up like pro's. Never hold up my plants early unless its an odd one.

If I was you.... I would go out to homedepot and grab a double t8 florecent light and bulbs, the cheapest one you can get is perfect. Cost me like $40can. Use that to grow your plants untill there about 6" tall and put them under your CFL.

There is no real win starting them under the 300watt CFL. You need the light close to the plants to keep them short maybe 1ft with the CFL. To close with the CFL will burn your plants. The heat from that CFL will make the plants grow super stupid fast so I would recommend overdoing the fan to cut down direct heat on the top of the plants and then they will all need to be supported. <----- It is working for you but as you can see not so well... good luck bro bro im bored and high and wish you the best of luck...

Check out my clones here ;)
New Space - New Clones - Advice Appreciated

I would grow my seedling under the 35w florecents to this stage and then place them under the 300w CFL. You could move them in a week sooner at 6" but if hight is going to be an issue the longer under the florrecents will keep them short for ya.

100_15022.JPG

Good Luck Bro's and Pro's. Happy Smoking.

Sorry to hear that some of seeds have croaked it.

The surviving 2 blue berrys look fine 'n' dandy, i wouldn't worry about the yellowing from the very new growth at centre of plant... thats quite natural at that stage of growth.

Be interesting to see how these turn out, i was thinking of getting the same seed myself in a couple of months time.

Best of luck.

The truth of the matter is, my earlier attempt at 'flushing' my plants was a double manslaughter...
DSC_00743.JPG

I know, I know. I'm a fool!

Those two are still in the grow. They probably went like that two days ago, but I left them hoping they would snap out of it and stop playing with my emotions. They were not kidding.

I feel like I have let you guys done aswell as myself.
So I hope this helps somewhat...
DSC_00734.JPG

ALL FEMINIZED

I have already begun germination. I will be planting 3 BlueBerry, 1 Black Sugar and 1 Skunk Special. I have already planted 1 BigBud, but that is not feminzed so fingers crossed.

at least the two that still remain are strong!, it was survival of the fitest, at least now you know theyll be beast! that root zone is going to blow the fuck up!

Whats the white thing in the pot next to the stalk of the lil seedling ?

You may also wish to try germination in a plug mini rock wool cube/root roit etc & wait for good root growth/development before transplanting into coco & then feeding 1/4 strength nutrient solution for a week or 2.

Ideal humidity for a seedling is 80% to 90% temp 24 to 28c

Early veg humidity 60% to 80% with same sort of temps will be fine.

Today, the BigBud has shown life and my most of the other seeds have shown taproots. I'm about to pot them.

@preprodigy You mean to tell me they're still alive!?!? That is... awkward, because I have got they're replacements ready to go NOW.

@Fuzzy Duck The little white things are co2 tabs. When I water they slowly dissolve into to coco. Not necessary, but doesnt hurt. Thanks for the tip BTW.

CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS:
DSC_00744.JPG

Top Left: BlueBerry
Top Right: BlueBerry
Middle Left: Skunk Special
Middle Right: BlueBerry
Bottom Left: Black Sugar
Bottom Right: BigBud

How they look this morning...

DSC_00763.JPG

I've had to move them around, so some of the babies could get better light.

Top 2 and middle right are BlueBerry. Middle left is Skunk Special, bottom left Black Sugar and bottom right is BigBud.

Pictures taken about 5 minutes ago...

BlueBerry
DSC_00796.JPG

BigBud
DSC_00838.JPG

BlueBerry
DSC_00862.JPG

Skunk Special
DSC_00893.JPG

Black Sugar
DSC_00906.JPG

BlueBerry
DSC_00925.JPG

Would be great to hear from you guys some more. Seems like this thread has gone cold on me.
Any tips or advice you can offer will be much appreciated.

These look great, Hugh!

I know you had some deaths in the family, but these look really healthy. Don't even think of transplanting them until they're at least six inches tall.

Two things you should do:

1) Make sure they stay moist. Coco is notorious for drying out very quickly. Dehydration will kill these instantly.

2) Try to get the babies as close to the light as possible. You're using CFL's so you should be able to put the bulbs fairly close.

It's also tempting to give them some nutrients to speed them along. Don't! The seeds have all the nutrients they need for two weeks. I usually cheat at about the 10 day mark (assuming they look healthy) and use 1/4 strength nutrients. Too strong a solution can burn the roots of a baby seedling.

That's about it, I think. Keep posting pictures and people will start coming back around. I've posted pictures on my journal every single day and sometimes no one replies for several days. I think they're looking, but too lazy to post.

Everyone is looking good and seems to be growing.
I will second Ggrant on the moisture of the coco the new root growth will be hunting for new spots of moisture, if it is to dry the new root growth could dry out. You don't really want to have your root zone all the way dry, can causes problems.

BlueBerry 1
DSC_00839.JPG

BlueBerry 2
DSC_00823.JPG
DSC_00815.JPG
DSC_00805.JPG

BlueBerry 3
DSC_00797.JPG

BigBud
DSC_00783.JPG
DSC_00776.JPG

WTF IS THIS?!?? I'M PANICKING RIGHT NOW!!! NEED URGENT RESPONSE!!

BB1 edge of leaf looks burnt but isnt literally
BB2 has looked unwell for days, yellow dots all over leaves
BB3 leaves starting to turn up and has 'burnt look' edge
BB picture is self explantory.

Ok. I guess no one knows or cares about whats been happening with my grow, but I just want to let you know that I have not killed this bunch... yet.

Heres how they look
DSC_00777.JPG

Now it's easy to tell which is which. Top Left Skunk Special, Top Right Black Sugar, Left Blueberry, Right BigBud, Bottom Left BlueBerry Bottom Right Blueberry.

One thing I have learnt very quickly with this growing BlueBerry is not for novices.
Out of the three, only this one looks like it will make it...
DSC_00784.JPG

If you look closely in the pics you'll see that I topped most of them. To my amazement, it seems like I have succesfully FIM'd my BlackSugar too.
DSC_00806.JPG

The BigBud seems Ok-ish and the Skunk Special is healthy but growing slower than the rest.

Since I last properly spoke to any of you, my grow has been temperamental. At one point I thought they had all died (again!) on me. They are all still hanging in there but are all different sizes and are growing at different rates.
DSC_00863.JPG

BlueBerry
DSC_00799.JPG

BlueBerry
DSC_00824.JPG

BlueBerry
DSC_008310.JPG

Black Sugar
DSC_00816.JPG

Big Bud
DSC_00844.JPG

Skunk Special
DSC_00807.JPG

What I would really like to know is, whether I can cut these ugly ass 1 finger leaves off them (I think there called fan leaves) especially the dead crispy ones?
Also, I've been wondering if topping them stunts there growth in any way? Because I only managed to 'FIM' the Black sugar.

Back
Top Bottom