2nd Attempt - DP Blueberry

Whoa, Hugh,

These plants have some serious problems. You need to treat them, STAT!

The spots you mentioned earlier are probably due to a calcium deficiency. Also all the discoloration and dead leaves is either overfertilization or pH fluctuation. It's hard to tell them apart.

What are you using to water your plants? Tap water? If so, are you letting it stand for at least 24 hours? Do you add anything to your water to change its pH? Are you using a pH meter?

How often do you fertilize your plants? What are you using for fertilizer?

What you need to do is the following:

First, flush the plants. Whatever is going on in the soil (coco, that is) you want to get rid of. Do this to ALL your plants. Use lots of water, at least twice the volume of the pot. (I do this in my bath tub.) Let them drain for a while.

Then fertilize again, adding CalMag to the water and nutrients. CalMag is a mixture of Calcium and Magnesium salts. Coco is notorious for absorbing any calcium ion in the neighborhood. You need to use CalMag every time you water, not just when you fertilize. CalMag can be bought at some garden stores. Any grow shop will carry it. You can also buy it online.

It's not always easy to diagnose from a distance. You're Johnny-on-the-spot and can make a better call than I can. Use these pictures to analyze the problem and let us know which best describes your plants' condition.

Over Fertilization

nute_burn01.jpeg

Mild pH Fluctuation

1302.jpeg

Severe pH Fluctuation

1301.jpeg

Mild Calcium Deficiency

11341134calcium-start2.jpg

Severe Calcium Deficiency

1134calcium-11.jpg

The last time I did something like that, this happened -
DSC_00743.JPG

At the moment I am not prepared to do anything hasty as this is the furthest Ive come with a grow. I will however be trimming all the dead bits off, just for cosmetic purposes.

I do use regular tap water mainly, but I have started using pre-boiled water from my kettle.
I did order and pay for a ph meter that I did not receive. But I have dramatically reduced the amount of nutrients they are getting. They only get a few spritz of something called 'super enzyme', which apparently, helps the plants break down the nutrients already in the soil (coco). 1-2 spritz per plant.
To be honest, Black Sugar and Skunk Special are thriving so they will be left as they are.
Is there a sure-fire way to flush the others without drowning them?

Hugh,

I'm not sure about surefire! I've never had a problem with flushing. Are you saying the dead plants you showed were the result of flushing them?

I'm fairly new to coco, but I have been doing a lot of research. Since you're being cautious (and I don't blame you because of past experience), at least buy the CalMag. You should be using this ALL the time in your water. It is not a one-off treatment, but a vital component for any water you use.

Many, if not all, of the problems you are experiencing may be due to a calcium deficiency.

By the way, did any of the photos match what you see on your plants' leaves?

If you go to the last page of my journal, you'll find an epic post on using Coco Coir. Drop by and take a look!

for a while there it was looking really promising. yu have a couple that are looking fine. how are they today? i really hope your plants pull through i'm interested in seeing these ones grow.

Wow, they look so much better, Hugh!

Did you treat them with anything or just cut off the dead leaves?

I was wondering if any of the nutrient and pH fluctuation photos I attached to a previous post matched the problems you are experiencing? I'd like to know as it would help me diagnose future problems for growers like yourself.

i wanted to ask,why do you use black plastic instead of white reflective plastic?
it would make em grow faster,using white reflective plastic everyone knows that.
i wish you grow the best buds possible
good luck :tokin:

@ggrant All I did was trim the dead bits and I've been giving them water that been boiled and left to stand for about 18hours and nothing else. I looked back through the journal and realised I didn't take your advice on the seedlings, because at that time I was giving them nutrients everyday. So now there in detox. As for the calmag, could you be a tad more specific ( Calmag | Welcome ).

Take a look at these leaves from Black Sugar
DSC_007910.JPG

Completely normal???

As for the calmag, could you be a tad more specific

Many companies make a CalMag product. If you go online, you should be able to find it. Any good grow shop will also carry it. I tried to buy some at a garden center, but they didn't have it, but my local grow shop did.

Here's the label from one produced by Botanicare, a very good nutrient manufacturer.

Botanicare CalMag Plus

BotanicareCalMagPlus.jpg

All companies' formulations of CalMag are pretty much the same, so it doesn't make any difference where you get it.

Use as the label recommends, 1 tsp/gal in ALL the water you use, i.e., when you fertilize AND when you plain water.

We're still alive. Ok, so here's how they look...

BlueBerry
DSC_00945.JPG
DSC_00956.JPG

This was once, the biggest and healthiest of them all. It went bad on me a few weeks ago and most of the leaves fell off. I thought that was it, but a few flushes later and its still hanging in there. Looks a bit strange though.

Skunk Special
DSC_01047.JPG
DSC_01059.JPG

...was worrying me for ages to begin because it didn't wont to grow. Now its shot up so fast its nearly the tallest. As you can see, I haven't topped or FIM'd it at all. Should I? Seems ok as it is to me.

Blueberry
DSC_01004.JPG
DSC_01015.JPG

This one grew to a certain point, then stopped altogether. For about 8 days it looked like it had had enough. I flushed it twice. Now...lots of new growth, looks well.

Black Sugar
DSC_00987.JPG
DSC_00995.JPG

Short, Bushy and very easy to work with. No complaints since seed. Looks and smells great.

BlueBerry
DSC_01028.JPG
DSC_01039.JPG

This ones a soldier. I dropped a few weeks ago... there was blood and guts everywhere. I didnt think it would make it, and it was when the other two blueberrys starting causiing me grief. Its still very much alive and getting quite

... unmanageable due to its height and width. Its a monster.

BigBud
DSC_00978.JPG
DSC_00966.JPG

This is the biggest of them all. The stem is curved to give lower growth a chance. Her transformation was so unexpected. It was destined for the trash not to long ago. Now look.

DSC_01077.JPG

I'm curious to know if I can begin blooming now? I am happy with there current height (there far from little), but are they mature enough??

Yes they are mature enough. Some people switch to 12/12 after just a few weeks of sprouting. You can flip anytime you feel your ready to get rolling

Can somebody please take a good hard look at pics and guesstimate what sort of yield they can pull off.
I just want to know if I should leave them vegging a bit longer.

When To Crop, When To Crop?!?!?

WOW! I finally figured out how to use this thing now.

All six plants have been in bloom since I last posted, and here's how they look.

BlueBerry
DSC_02025.JPG

DSC_02035.JPG
DSC_02045.JPG

This one went flowered 1st. It has the biggest buds, and although not very crystalized, looks like it wants to be cropped today. What do you think?

Skunk Special
DSC_02056.JPG
DSC_02066.JPG
DSC_02074.JPG

I didnt FIM or top this bad bitch. She been growing true since birth. Looks like its doing well. How much longer?

Black Sugar
DSC_02088.JPG
DSC_02094.JPG
DSC_02109.JPG

This girl has been a dream plant. Not 1 problem since seed. Smells the dankest. It's only downfall is... It's not big at all. When should I crop?

Blueberry
DSC_02117.JPG
DSC_02125.JPG
DSC_02156.JPG
DSC_02162.JPG

Now, this girl looks as if she'll be the main breadwinner. Very healthy, fresh tangy odour, lots of growth. How much longer?

BigBud
DSC_02172.JPG
DSC_02182.JPG

Hasn't lived up to name. Had a horrible time whilst the others were blooming. But everything you see now is new growth (AND SIGNS OF FLOWERING)

As for the final plant... Well, lets just say I hurt it. I don't know how, but I hurt it BAD. It would have been thee biggest of them all. Lots of budsites and... let me just stop before I cry. Fingers crossed it snaps out of it.

I'm really anxious to crop these now. Need urgent feedback PLEASE

Back
Top Bottom