2nd Auto Grow Following 1st Grow Failure - CFL & Soil Grow

randomandy

So my 1st grow was a complete flop, had some problems from early on that took a long time to figure out and try put right, by the time I did it wa too late, my girls had hit flower and were just so tiny, the biggest leaf no bigger than about an inch on each of them!! I think the majority of my problems with this grow come down to a lot of heavy overwater in the 1t couple weeks, wich both stunted growth and caused magnesium deficiency, this time i have been a lot more careful with watering and am now a couple weeks in to attempt #2 with plants looking a bit better than lat time around...

So i have just jumped right back into the addle again, but this time have made a few ammendments, details are as follow:

Seed: Sweet Seeds Sweet Cheese Auto
Medium: West+ All Purpose Compost
Nutes: BioBizz Bio-Grow; Will then follow on with Bio-Bloom

Seed: TH Seeds Original Auto Bubblegum
Medium and Nutes same as sweet Cheese above..!

Here where ive made a couple of slight ammendments that i hope will benefit my grow:

Seed: Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto
Medium: Same Compost as other plants, with added Perlite (approx 50% and a small amount of Garden Lime

General Info:

6 Litre Airpots
300w Dual Spec CFL using a Euro Hood Reflector
Hopefully adding 125w Blue CFL sidelighting in the coming weeks

These were all planted at different times and so progress is lightly varied, Sweet Cheese is approx 3 weeks atm, Bubblegum about 2 weeks and Blue Cheese about 4 days old...

So far im fairly happy with the progress and the way my girls are coming along, Sweet cheese i feel is a little behind where she hould be at the moment, but again first couple watering think I went in with bit too much and slowed things down, but have been feeding for last couple watering and hoping it making for a healthier plant...

So now the bit we all like to see, the pics...

Sweet Cheese

DSC_04206.JPG

Bubblegum

DSC_04217.JPG

Blue Cheese

DSC_04187.JPG

I have topped the soil with about 1cm of perlite also with Blue Cheese as can be seen in the pics...

So fingers crossed for a succesful grow this time and hopefully get to reap the rewards of my labours this time around, link to previous journal with all its problems are in my sig, and is now in abandoned journals if anyone would like to check it out...

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Re: 2nd Auto Grow following 1st Grow Failure... CFL & Soil Grow...

Hope it works out for you bro. Cannot wait till i start my own. Need to finish my set up.

well alls good so far, as ive said in opening post, SC is a little behind where id want her to be, but i think that is my own fault with the overwater, and my bubblegum has basically caught up with her lol so think i am defo moving forward and am on the right tracks with them now...

Also forgot to mention in opening post, i am using 20/4 light schedule at the moment, and plan to carry this throughout the entire grow...

Also added a wetted tea towel to the room this morning as temps r getting high and RH dropping real low (below 30% at times!!) so have the teatowel hanging and spraying regular with water to add RH wich is bit better at about 60% :thumb: still high temps at about 30* but ive seen great grows where temps shoot up a lot higher than that so not to worried lol

Hope it works out for you bro. Cannot wait till i start my own. Need to finish my set up.

yeah its a great feeling once you have your set up sorted, and put the 1st seed to soil... do you have a tieframe in mind that you expect to have everything ready by and putting your seed to soil??

aye Hopefully after next wend, gawn away for a few days so no wanting tae leave them by their selves fir a long wend.

As you know i already have my seed n fittings just need to sort out a few more things, maybe looking into gettin bigger light.?

Well you can never go wrong with a bigger light, and getting some sort of reflector id say would be a good move, the fittings you have could then be used for side lights lower down the plant as she grows??

But yeah defo a good idea to try and at least source all the wee bits and bobs you will need before you start to give yourself and your plants the best possible chance of a succesful grow, and i will help out where I can with any wee bits i have that you can use :thumb::thumb:

What soil are you using?? Also what nutrients?? If you get proper soil, you barely need to add nutrients until they start flowering. I always use fox farm ocean forest soil for my indoors always have amazing plants. Your last grow journal is sad, poor plants, the plants are extremely nutrient deficient and super over watered. Make sure you are letting plants completely dry out before watering again you can do this by lifting them up if they heavy then they don't need water. If you want the best nutrients available buy advanced nutrients. Peace and Good Luck

:welcome: Taylormade...

Dank420girl, i am using a cheap all purpose compost purchased from my local diy/garden store, this i think was a mistake, and after this round of plants i will be switching to an organic compost!! as for feed/nutes i am using biobizz, at the moment i am using the grow, and will use bloom from pre-flower, i will also be looking to get my hands on some of biobizz root juice and alg-a-mic at some point in the near future... Yeah my first attempt was very dis-heartening but as ive said in my sig, i learned a lot from it!! started to make the same mistakes early with this attempt as you can probably tell, but am trying to be a lot more vigilant with my watering now, think i just panicked in the beginning cos i have air pots, for fear of them drying out and dying, instead i overcompensated, and basically killed them with too much water...

You cannot go wrong with premium organic soil, it really helps. Make sure you get soil with high perlite ratio as it helps with aeration and drainage. I water my indoor once every 5 days, that is how long it takes for my 5 gallon buckets to dry out.

:welcome: Taylormade...

Dank420girl, i am using a cheap all purpose compost purchased from my local diy/garden store, this i think was a mistake, and after this round of plants i will be switching to an organic compost!! as for feed/nutes i am using biobizz, at the moment i am using the grow, and will use bloom from pre-flower, i will also be looking to get my hands on some of biobizz root juice and alg-a-mic at some point in the near future... Yeah my first attempt was very dis-heartening but as ive said in my sig, i learned a lot from it!! started to make the same mistakes early with this attempt as you can probably tell, but am trying to be a lot more vigilant with my watering now, think i just panicked in the beginning cos i have air pots, for fear of them drying out and dying, instead i overcompensated, and basically killed them with too much water...

That's me subbed in :bong: now hopefully this time all issues are amended fully and you will have some big ars* chonga trees like mine :bong: well done in not getting disheartened and giving up aswell but instead starting a fresh and even helping others too hopefully enjoy the pleasure an auto can bring :) I also can't wait to see if an extra 125w blue helps photosynthesis as much as I believe it will and your ladies can get a better veg :) :roorrip:

Had a quick read through your first journal, wow you really did have a tough time, fair play for not giving up! :bravo: Took me 4 years to have another ago and the worst thing that happened in my 1st grow was she turned out to be a he lol Looks like this one is already going much better for you, :goodluck: with it!!

:Namaste:

Yeah i think a bad crop is enough to deter a lot of people from carrying on, but I viewed my failure as one big learning curve, that im still on with these girls too... I have made my mistakes along the way, even with these girls, but there is improvement and I will keep plodding on until I get it right :thumb: haha I wish finding a male was the only concern i had!!

most of my problems i think came from 2 things with my last grow, both related to each other: 1 - I was giving too much water, literally killing them with kindness, worrying too much that they will jst dry up and die lol 2: My soil was quite heavily compacted so was holding on to all that water i was giving them, so they were literally drowning... this is the reason that i have since went out and got some perlite and added to my soil, so hopefully water retention and overwater are a thing of the past for me :thumb:

O.K. guys, sorry ive been away for a few days, just been busy with life lol little one not well and partner due to have twins next week, so things just chaotic for me at the moment... but anyway, its update time!!

not a lot has changed really with both sweet cheese and bubblegum, I definitely think once again, ive been a bit heavy handed with the water and giving them too much, despite being advised to leave well alone for a while by Scottish, but i didnt listen and was watering anyway, so my own fault... however, they are moving ahead, just quite slow atm but seems they may well pick up the pace over the next 7 days...

Sweet Cheese: Sweet Cheese has hit pre-flower now already, when I had a wee look in on the earlier, can see couple pistils at the top, so not so happy about that, was hoping for a bit more vegetative growth, but its my own fault! lol she seems to be drying out ok atm so hopefully things will pick up with her in the coming week. Also as you can see ive removed all single leaf and 3 finger, basically first 2 sets because they were more than 50% brown and dying...

Pics:
DSC_04404.JPG

DSC_04392.JPG

DSC_04382.JPG

Bubblegum: Bubblegum at the moment is looking very similar to the Sweet Cheese in both size and condition, with leaves browning and dying from the tips, i think caused by my overwatering, however, she is a week younger than Sweet Cheese and still in vegetative stage atm, so holding out a bt more hope for her, and hoping to see a wee boost of life soon enough... Again as you can see i have not removed any leaf from this girl yet, but will be treating the same as i have done with the sweet cheese and taking off her 1st 2 sets, probably in the morning.

Pics:

DSC_04465.JPG

DSC_04453.JPG

DSC_04443.JPG

Blue Cheese: and lat. but definitely not least, Blue Cheese. today is day 9 for this little un, and so far she is proving to be my most succesful plant, side growth coming through nicely and fairly well established she just seems to be looking better every time a look in, so far nothing negative at all to say about this one and definitely feel that using perlite with the soil has made a vast improvement, that and the fact I havent given her water :thumb:

Pics:

DSC_04435.JPG

DSC_04424.JPG

DSC_04413.JPG

I will make sure i keep updated regular, and include pics as often as I can!! in the meantime as always any ideas, suggestions, advice or plain old critisms is always welcome to help improve my grow and my success as a grower :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Getting there :bong: just remember underwater is easier too solve than overwater not hard too add but once its in its hard too get out but the perlite should give you nice airy roots esp combined with an airpot I can imagine this combination being quite spectacular :roorrip:

just lost half my first grow so i know that that feels like - good luck this round!! subbed!

Your girls are looking much better and the little blue cheese looks lovely. I really like the perlite :goodjob: and I think it'll help stop the top of my soil drying out as fast as it does, will get a bag when I can and give it a go.

Going to be a crazy few weeks ahead for you all!! All the best to you and yours :circle-of-love: :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom