2nd Grow, 1st Journal: Indoor 3x3x8 Siberian Haze Auto & Taison Auto

Hey man, did you put that fertilizer in with your medium already? I'm hoping not because that's going to be too hot of a mix for seedlings. There was already low amounts of nutrients in the soil you bought. Seedlings do not need any nutrients for the first 2 weeks, they store enough nutrients to get through that long. The potting soil you bought would be enough alone to to support this plant for almost the first month. You won't need any worm castings yet either.

As for when you plant your seed.. plant it as soon as the seed cracks and is showing the tip of the tap root. Don't wait for it to get longer as you will then create more chances of damaging the root. Place it about 3/4" in the dirt with the tap root facing up. The tap root will grow upwards slightly and then curl back down into the ground giving the head of the plant enough stability to curl push itself up out of the dirt.

Shit. I sure did mix it in. I still have 2'' of space between the dirt level and the top of the pot. could I just add a 2'' layer of potting soil and plant the seed into that... what exactly does it mean when a fertilizer is too hot? is that what causes nutrient burn?

If I cant fix my mistake would it be best to plant the seeds into a small planter and then transplant them in?

Yeah you want to plant the seeds into a small container first anyway, don't throw a seedling into a big container. Start in a solo cup size or a little bigger and just use your potting soil, peat and perlite mixture. Don't add any fertilizer. When I say the mix is too "hot", that means it's too nutrient rich and could start to burn your plants. Seedlings are pretty fragile and you always want to start off small

It's going to be hard to say how they will react to that fertilizer though.. is it a time release feet or something? I don't think it's really something you want to use on your cannabis plants. What is it anyway?

here is a copy paste from the website

Beauty isn't only skin deep and the right nutrients make a difference so give your veggies and blooms high-quality food. Nature's Care Organic and Natural Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Food is made with power-packed ingredients from nature - like a blend of select microbes - that help breakdown of nutrients available to the soil. Gives your garden what it needs to grow up happy.

• All-in-1 pellets (not a yucky, dusty blend)
  • Made with power-packed ingredients from nature - like a blend of select microbes that help the breakdown of nutrients available in the soil
  • Slow-release nitrogen + phosphorous nutrients
  • OMRI listed for organic use
  • N-P-K 3-4-2

Yeah this is a time release nutrient.. can last anywhere from a couple months up to 6. If you are using the Spartan line of nutrients you don't want any of that fertilizer in with your crop. Use just your soil mix, peat and perlite and add the nutrients your plant needs with the Spartan regime.

Who can I talk to to change the name of this grow journal? Im no longer growing I. A 3x3.... I just purchased1200W LED Grow Light MEIZHI Updated Version off Amazon and a new 4x4 tent
Please send me a PM with your new title and I will change it for you.

I started to germinate the seeds. Placed them to soak in a cup of water for 12 hours then moved them to a damp cloth with sarran wrap over the top. I used the same dirt from the pot they will ultimetly grow in...

One question. After the seed sprouts and I place it into the solo cup I should turn the grow light on at 24" height correct!? I would start on the regular 18-6 light schedule.

Also some good news bad news. The sale of my old grow lights fell through. Is it a good idea for me to turn on all 3 lights during vegetation phase? That would be 1 1200 W light and x2 300w lights for 5 plants.... Should I have more seeds availible. Should I stick 9 plants in the tent?

IMG_20190128_144551.jpg
IMG_20190128_144654.jpg
IMG_20190128_144648.jpg
IMG_20190128_145232.jpg
IMG_20190128_144704.jpg

Did you just use the dirt without that fertilizer in it for the small cups? The fertilizer might be too much for the babies if you did. Just the potting soil and perlite is good for babies.

I don't normally start right under a powerful led like that, I start them under 24 hrs of light with t5 florescent bulbs then go to led. But if you start them under your big pan, just flick the veg switch on for now, don't want too much power on the little ones. Start it out at about 36" until they sprout and are almost a couple inches then drop the panel down to 24". This will ensure that when they do sprout your light isn't too close to start off. Always make small changes over time, young ones are vulnerable at this stage.

You can use all of the lights once the plants are big enough for sure. But not right away, ease them into that much light.

I wouldn't cram 9 plants in there myself, it will get crazy crowded faster than you think. Honestly I'd start with 4, see how it goes and then determine how many you can grow next time. Every plant is different, even different phenotypes of the same strain. They can surprise you

Yea the cup is just soil perlite and a hair of peat moss. I don't know how i could remove the fertilizer from the 5gallon pots so just going to start this grow and see how it goes... Another mistake I will learn not to repeat haha. Thought I was doing a good job with miracle gro soil and fert... Let's cross our fingers.. I think worst case I will just not feed the plants a lot of the Spartan mix. Maybe compost tea and water?

You're still doing a good job, just jumping ahead of yourself a bit far. 1 step at a time, and don't be afraid to ask what may seem like a stupid question, we have all been there. Cannabis growers stay away from miracle grow all together. You should be fine, just let the plants tell you what they need. When you do start feeding nutrient and they are in those bigger pots, be sure to start at like 1/4 strength of the recommended dose and wait a few days to see how they react. But your weeks away from adding any nutrients. What size are those big pots you got? You may actually want to have a transplant in between those 2 sizes.

1. when I transplant I should use the same dirt as what is inside of the large pots right? they where purchased as 10gallon pots. they measure 14 1/2 diameter x 12 inches tall - I dont have dirt in the first 2 inches of the pot so they Physically have 7 Gallons of dirt (the firtilizer I accidentally put in is a liittle above half strength based off those number I fertilized enough for 4 gallons of dirt. I have 2.5 gallon "smart pots" from my last grow. I Could transplant into those. what are the benefits of doing x2 transplants?

also I jut wanted to double check. You said I should place the seed in the dirt the second the tap root burst from the seed correct? 2 of the 5 have already opened up. (36 hours after germination)

The benefits from up potting are getting a nice stable root ball to support your plant. A quick Google search will likely bring up tons of info. Depending on the size of container you want to finish in, you should try to up pot twice at least. From those foam cups, I would go to your 2.5 smart pots, then to the 5 gallon a week before flowering. Or if you want then to veg longer and get larger plants, you would go from your 5 gallon to the 10 gallon a week before flower.

Is there any way you can get more of the potting mix and peat to mix into the stuff that has fertilizer in it? It will weaken the effect from the fertilizer, might be a good idea. And then you can use that newly mixed medium with less fert to transplant into from the foam cups.

Yes, plant those seeds once they crack and you can see the tip of the taproot poking out of the shell. Plant 3/4-1" deep with taproot pointed upwards and lightly cover back over with dirt

Yes. I keep my lights on 24/0 for the first 4 or 5 days and then start giving them dark periods. Many people have different methods they believe work better for them, but that's what I do and have never had an issue

Well guys! the transplant was a complete failure due to some miss-communication between me and my roommate. Will definitely be try it again for the next grow maybe consider getting a "veg tent" in a month or so to start some new plants ( if things go well with this one)

Right now the only problem I am having is controlling the humidity in the room (4x4) I range between 26%-80% thought the day. I have a humidifier but it doesn't seem to do much in terms of regulating the room (I run the exhaust fan the same amount of hours that the light runs) I did 24hr light the first day and doing 18/6 now due to budgeting reasons. - oh yea, I have 3 temp/humidity gauges in there and they are all giving me different readings so I don't even know what one to trust.
IMG_20190201_122100[1].jpg

Here are some pics of the seedlings.

01/30/19
Seeds planted at 1’’ depth directly into the final grow pot... Each plant was watered with 1 cup of water Vegetation light set at 30 ½’’ height from top of the pot. (haven't watered them since)
IMG_20190201_122045[1].jpg

IMG_20190201_122035[1].jpg

IMG_20190201_122017[1].jpg

IMG_20190201_122003[1].jpg

IMG_20190201_121952[1].jpg

grow room.
IMG_20190130_130122[1].jpg

IMG_20190130_122302[1].jpg

MEHZHI light
First impression with this light is that the quality between the Roleadro that I was using and this one is Night and day. Much heavier build, Higher quality casing. the lights dont have a protector over them which made me a little uneasy about handling it alone. but when i turned this bad boy on ... WOW. the light seems more natural. I can look into the room without glasses on and not burn my eyeballs off.

Il post some pictures of the light a little later.

its been a hectic few days ... this will be a quick update.. everything looks to be going well with the seedlings. they are still under light on a 18/6 schedule. at first glance looks like the local place I got my seeds from mixed them up? or maybe I just dont know what im talking about. the leaves on a few of them look a bit different.

I am watering them with a spray bottle 1 time a day. just to maintain a little moisture around the stem. the top 2 inches of dirt are bone dry. after that the dirt is moist.

I am still having major issues maintaining humidity in the tent. any ideas? I have a small humidifier running 24/7 but im sitting between 20%-63% with the bulk of the hours in the day being around %35. could I just put a tray of water in there?
IMG_20190206_121833[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121908[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121910[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121918[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121926[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121931[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121937[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_121958[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_122005[1].jpg
IMG_20190206_122016[1].jpg

I made little mounds of dirt around the stems. just sprinkled over the top. not packed down.

Hey man, sorry to hear about the transplant, that sucks. But at least you jumped right back at it, that's what counts. Be careful with watering though while the plant is still small in such a big pot. Water in a circle a couple inches out from the plant, get the roots searching for the water. As the plants get bigger you will be able to water a bit more area. Just don't drench the whole grow bag yet is all, get them bigger first. Misting always helps, that was a good decision on your part.

Glad to see you like the light panel. I see you got the newer updated version, those weren't available when I got mine. So there is no glass/plastic on the outside of the panel between the lights and the plants? Actually makes more sense, the glass/plastic would just reduce light lumens to the plants.

As for your humidity issues, is the humidifier a digital one that you can set at a specific %? They are always handy. Humidity will naturally rise during lights off, especially when you aren't running your exhaust at night. You could always try running your exhaust on a lower setting with a fan controller and keep it running 24hrs and have your humidifier run during lights on on a timer. During veg your sweet spot is 60-70% but you must have good air circulation.

Hope some this helps you out. I've been pretty busy with work lately so I haven't had much time to get around to everyone's journals. Babies are looking good though, keep up the good work! We live and we learn :goodjob:

Update from day 13 - day 11 from being planted. These are about 1 week ahead from where I was during my first grow. More leaves more height and plants are looking healthier. At this point in my first grow I had yellow spots I was battling on 2 of the plants.

This one is the only one I'm a bit worried about. Is This due to my mistake with the fertilizer. Or are they just new leaves
IMG_20190210_171059.jpg
IMG_20190210_171056.jpg
IMG_20190210_171050.jpg
IMG_20190210_171047.jpg
IMG_20190210_171035.jpg
IMG_20190210_171031.jpg
IMG_20190210_171027.jpg
IMG_20190210_171022.jpg

IMG_20190210_171118.jpg

Oh yea. I'm still dealing with very low humidity. I ordered a higher end humidifier though. It should get here next week. I expect it to keep the room consistently at 65

Back
Top Bottom