2nd Grow: Auto Flowering Cobras

What strain to grow next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soaking of the seed loosens it enough to crack. While it’s in the medium it’s still moist, but after a few hours of the seed/seedling being emerged from the medium and exposed to air, it drys it out fast and makes it hard again. Having the droplet of water on just long enough to loosen up the grasp definitely helps. Please do, try and report back! :thumb:
Will do!

Here is what they looked liked yesterday.
I had to turn the light down because I cannnot get it 36” from the top of the plant, only 23”. Since i am using coco coir, I can’t overwater ?
5B086FE4-CE80-4D54-86DF-BF3C694C5FAD.jpeg
611DB774-04DA-4287-AE26-531D4008C2AC.jpeg
A82E0D17-0D32-42E5-AA93-DCBBF8BF1E64.jpeg

Coco coir is a byproduct of coconut fiber. It was first used in gardening in the West in the 19th century, but fell out of favor because the low-quality coco available at the time degraded when used for short-term growing. Toward the end of the 20th century, it was rediscovered as an organic, environmentally sustainable substrate when new production methods made it possible to create hardier product.

Coco coir is manufactured using fiber that’s torn from coconut shells. The tiny grains of coir are extracted from the coconut shell and pulverized into a packable growing substrate. First, the coconuts go through the retting process, a curing method that naturally decomposes the husk’s pulp. Traditionally, coconut husks were immersed in water for six months or longer to decompose. Today, the retting process can be completed in a little over a week using modern mechanical techniques.

Next, the coconut fiber is removed from the shells by steel combs, in a process known as defibering.

Once the fiber, or coir, is gathered from the husk, it’s then dried, pressed into bricks, discs, coir pots. or bagged as a loose mulch. In this dried, processed state, the coir is ready to sell and use.

Let’s take a moment to cover the pros of this grow medium.

Quick harvests and big yields: When used for drain-to-waste growing, coco coir gives excellent results. With the right coco coir nutrients in your water bath, your plants spend less time searching for food and more time growing. Learn more about using the right coco coir nutrients here.

Plenty of room for the root system: Coco coir offers a rare combination of excellent water retention, reliable drainage and ideal aeration. It gives the roots plenty of room, allowing for optimum air exposure.

pH-neutral value: Coco coir has a neutral pH range of 5.2–6.8, but you’ll still need nutrient support because this range will fluctuate over time. Learn why maintaining a balanced coco coir pH is so important here.

Minimizes harmful pathogens and reduces the risk of pests: This medium boasts antifungal properties, which keeps the roots happy. It can repel some pests, meaning your grow is easier to maintain. (If you’ve experienced plant pests or diseases in the past, here are some plant protection tips to help up your game.)

Environmentally conscious product: On average, a coconut tree produces 150 coconuts annually. Coco coir uses parts of the fruit that used to go to waste.

Reusable medium: When properly treated, coco coir can be reused. It’s durable, but you need to make sure you prep it correctly for the next growth cycle to guarantee a hearty crop.

What Are The Drawbacks Of Using Coco Coir?

Any grow medium has its limitations, and you have to understand the traits of coco coir to ensure you develop the best crop possible.

Possible high salt content: Make sure you research how the coco medium you choose is produced. If the husks were soaked in salt water, confirm it was rinsed with fresh water by the manufacturer, or learn how to properly do it yourself.

Chemical treatment: At the end of the drying process, coir bales might be treated with chemical agents to ensure pathogens didn’t bloom inside. Learning how it was treated may help you manage your crop, since the chemical residue could affect plant growth. Read the product label or refer to the manufacturer’s website to learn more.

Can lock out calcium, magnesium and iron:Because of its high cation exchange rate, coco coir stores and releases nutrients as needed, but it tends to hold calcium, magnesium and iron. This means you’ll need use specific coco coir nutrients to boost Ca, Mg and Fe levels for healthy crops.

Coco Coir Features That May Be A Pro Or A Con

Coco must be fed daily. In order to overcome the cation exchange capacity of the coco, it is still important to use a coco-specific nutrient, but you also want to feed quicker than the coco can negatively react with the nutrients. Coco is extremely difficult to overwater, holding on to oxygen even when drenched, so some hand-watering soil growers may find coco requires more work. However, commercial growers often love this feature because they can connect automated drip lines to the plants.

Coco coir is a byproduct of coconut fiber. It was first used in gardening in the West in the 19th century, but fell out of favor because the low-quality coco available at the time degraded when used for short-term growing. Toward the end of the 20th century, it was rediscovered as an organic, environmentally sustainable substrate when new production methods made it possible to create hardier product.

Coco coir is manufactured using fiber that’s torn from coconut shells. The tiny grains of coir are extracted from the coconut shell and pulverized into a packable growing substrate. First, the coconuts go through the retting process, a curing method that naturally decomposes the husk’s pulp. Traditionally, coconut husks were immersed in water for six months or longer to decompose. Today, the retting process can be completed in a little over a week using modern mechanical techniques.

Next, the coconut fiber is removed from the shells by steel combs, in a process known as defibering.

Once the fiber, or coir, is gathered from the husk, it’s then dried, pressed into bricks, discs, coir pots. or bagged as a loose mulch. In this dried, processed state, the coir is ready to sell and use.

Let’s take a moment to cover the pros of this grow medium.

Quick harvests and big yields: When used for drain-to-waste growing, coco coir gives excellent results. With the right coco coir nutrients in your water bath, your plants spend less time searching for food and more time growing. Learn more about using the right coco coir nutrients here.

Plenty of room for the root system: Coco coir offers a rare combination of excellent water retention, reliable drainage and ideal aeration. It gives the roots plenty of room, allowing for optimum air exposure.

pH-neutral value: Coco coir has a neutral pH range of 5.2–6.8, but you’ll still need nutrient support because this range will fluctuate over time. Learn why maintaining a balanced coco coir pH is so important here.

Minimizes harmful pathogens and reduces the risk of pests: This medium boasts antifungal properties, which keeps the roots happy. It can repel some pests, meaning your grow is easier to maintain. (If you’ve experienced plant pests or diseases in the past, here are some plant protection tips to help up your game.)

Environmentally conscious product: On average, a coconut tree produces 150 coconuts annually. Coco coir uses parts of the fruit that used to go to waste.

Reusable medium: When properly treated, coco coir can be reused. It’s durable, but you need to make sure you prep it correctly for the next growth cycle to guarantee a hearty crop.

What Are The Drawbacks Of Using Coco Coir?

Any grow medium has its limitations, and you have to understand the traits of coco coir to ensure you develop the best crop possible.

Possible high salt content: Make sure you research how the coco medium you choose is produced. If the husks were soaked in salt water, confirm it was rinsed with fresh water by the manufacturer, or learn how to properly do it yourself.

Chemical treatment: At the end of the drying process, coir bales might be treated with chemical agents to ensure pathogens didn’t bloom inside. Learning how it was treated may help you manage your crop, since the chemical residue could affect plant growth. Read the product label or refer to the manufacturer’s website to learn more.

Can lock out calcium, magnesium and iron:Because of its high cation exchange rate, coco coir stores and releases nutrients as needed, but it tends to hold calcium, magnesium and iron. This means you’ll need use specific coco coir nutrients to boost Ca, Mg and Fe levels for healthy crops.

Coco Coir Features That May Be A Pro Or A Con

Coco must be fed daily. In order to overcome the cation exchange capacity of the coco, it is still important to use a coco-specific nutrient, but you also want to feed quicker than the coco can negatively react with the nutrients. Coco is extremely difficult to overwater, holding on to oxygen even when drenched, so some hand-watering soil growers may find coco requires more work. However, commercial growers often love this feature because they can connect automated drip lines to the plants.
Wow this is excellent info!

So it is time to start nutes already? Last time I followed fox farms schedule & watered everyday with 1/4 strength in a gallon of distilled water. What do you think?
They’re just young yet. When I grow in peat pucks which is sort of similar to what your using. I always judge it by when they show roots out the bottom of the plug. Once I see roots poke out, I transplant and feed a small dosage of nutrients. Id give them a couple more days, then when put into the first small pot, I would give a feeding on the lighter end of 1/4 strength. I’d say 1/8th but I don’t want to confuse you lol

They’re just young yet. When I grow in peat pucks which is sort of similar to what your using. I always judge it by when they show roots out the bottom of the plug. Once I see roots poke out, I transplant and feed a small dosage of nutrients. Id give them a couple more days, then when put into the first small pot, I would give a feeding on the lighter end of 1/4 strength. I’d say 1/8th but I don’t want to confuse you lol
An 1/8 of nutrient as babies make sense. :hug:

Hi guys! Things have been a little crazy here but I need your advice. The girls look like they are growing ok but are the orange spots form the light being to high, need calmag or something else? Thanks and I hope everyone is ok!
A98783AE-05DE-481B-BEC6-AFEECA8BAE3D.jpeg
85BF0DBF-6705-4E87-A13D-06B86A753BF6.jpeg
A1525529-A9C5-467A-B1E3-EF0E1E8581B5.jpeg

Doesn’t look like light burn. If anything she’s demanding some extra cal mag. The damaged leaves will never repair them selves, so keep an eye on newer growth. The old leaves are the first to go so don’t be alarmed if they die on you. As long as the rest of the plant has good green healthy growth, I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

Doesn’t look like light burn. If anything she’s demanding some extra cal mag. The damaged leaves will never repair them selves, so keep an eye on newer growth. The old leaves are the first to go so don’t be alarmed if they die on you. As long as the rest of the plant has good green healthy growth, I wouldn’t worry to much about it.
Thank you so much!

Hi guys! I hope everyone is happy & healthy! The girls were not doing well in the tent so the are back to the bathroom, hopefully no more roof leaks! I still need to get the Mylar up but I am so happy they turned around! :woohoo:

Do you think it is time to cut the top nodes?

:thanks: :hug: :thanks:
95EE5198-C060-45E0-9146-6EA925801C5F.jpeg
6090C26A-6C93-44D0-91A5-59428E009C8E.jpeg
39E6ADF0-6214-4B08-9D33-6CAE42EB073D.jpeg
05659685-7CCD-4AD4-BE39-41583FC52C44.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom