2x Hydro Banana Kush x Gorilla Glue #4 Grow Journal - 2017

Thanks for the subs! I looked at DWC too but ended up going with WaterFarms for some reason I can't remember now (oh, that Master Yoda). I may get a DWC or two and bump 'em with a better air stone system than stock in a few months, just to see how they perform. I think I can fit at least one if not two more pots in my tent.

Oh yeah, now I remember, it was square pots vs. round. I thought it would be more efficient if I kept square ones so they fit together more nicely without wasted space if I had 4 of them in my 2x4x5.

Wow. Just two days after I upped the GH Trio nutes to full veg, I'm seeing a strong growth spurt in both my Donkey Kongs (in hydro) and a bit less so in my two Bag Seeds (in soil). I was expecting some growth but frankly not this much. Not that I'm complaining. Tonight I came home to these:

First, Donkey Kong 1. This is day 22 from planting a seed:

2017-04-02_dk1_day_22.jpg

Next, Donkey Kong 2. This too is day 22 from planting a seed:

2017-04-02_dk2_day_22.jpg

These are both growing fairly squat, spreading out rather than up. I don't know if this is normal for their genetics, but it seems fine because my tent's only 5 feet high and I was gonna scrog anyway to keep the height down while maximizing bud exposure to the best light. Am I in my right mind here or is something amiss?

Now, Bag Seed 1. This is day 32 from planting a seed:

2017-04-02_bs2_day_32.jpg

And finally, Bag Seed 2. This too is day 32 from planting a seed:

2017-04-02_bs1_day_32.jpg

Both of these are growing taller rather than outward. I've got three levels now, just one more and it's go time with the net (or LST, may do that instead). There's a definite size difference in the strains, not only in width and/or height, but in leaf production and width as well.

I have some slight tip curling upward on some leaf points on the Donkey Kongs. I suspected the LED might be too close and was tempted to move it up an inch or two, but I wonder. It's just very minor peaking, I'm not sure if I should worry about this at this stage.

There is no curling on the Bag Seed tips that I can see. There is a slight taco effect on the leaves though. I'm not sure if this is normal for this genetic, whatever it may be, or if I'm not watering enough (or too much, I splash 'em every other day and do the first knuckle test before watering). I'm going to be moving them outdoors tomorrow and just have the two hydros in the tent, so I'm expecting some changes in the next week with these Bag Seeders.

Any mid-veg guidance for yet another first-timer who wants an awesome crop in a few months? Am I doing things right so far?

So I was reading another forum member's grow log and found that pics taken under LED aren't all that usable. So here are some pics taken in white light. Sorry for all the other potato-quality pics, hopefully these look a lot better.

First, Donkey Kong 1:

2017-04-03_ds1_day_23.jpg

Next, Bag Seed 1:

2017-04-03_bs1_day_33.jpg

Hopefully these allow for better diagnoses, and I'll use just white light photos from now on.

Ahh, here we are at last, halfway through veg (gonna do 6 week veg unless they need a mite more). Week 3 begins. This week I added a second 4" intake fan, which doubles the amount of room air going into the tent. Still, that 6" outgo fan is pulling hard even at its lowest setting; the tent sides are still bowing in. Guess I should have gone with a 4" outgo fan/carbon filter. Newbie misteaks, hrrmmmmm...

Anyway, here are the ladies at day 28 from seed (today):

2017-04-08_dk1_day_28.jpg

2017-04-08_dk2_day_28.jpg

Trying not to overanalyze this and get all stressed out. But man, these are some bushy ladies! Virtually no upward growth, it's all coming out the sides. I'm not sure how to train them at this point, they seem to be training themselves. I guess I'll wait another week and then either start looking at LST or SCROG, but I think they need a tad more height before I can even start to unravel the delicious looking bushy messiness (and smell) of these ladies.

I was going to top them, but I'm not even sure where the damn tops are! Maybe another week to find those.

So I was looking at my GH nute bottles again. I think for weeks 4 and 5 of veg, I'm going to go with the aggressive veg mix, which would be 3 tsp Gro, 2 tsp Micro and 1 tsp Bloom per gallon of H20. Then when I flip to flower, it'll be 1 tsp Gro, 2 tsp Micro and 3 tsp Bloom for the rest of their too short lives.

And the adventure continues. Still smilin' here. I've got my tomatoes, Hatch chiles, etc. all transplanted outdoors to keep the bag seeders company, looking forward to some harvests!

So, shit. Everything was going along quite swimmingly with these two lovely birds, then as it is wont to do sometimes, things go wrong. Donkey Kong #1 has developed what appear to be purple blotches, but only on a few first, lowermost leaves. These leaves are actually resting on the GH WaterFarm's irrigation pipe, and so I believe they are directly contacting the nutey water as it drips down onto the rocks. Here's a pic of the topside of one of the leaves:

2017-04-09_dk1_day_29_leaf_problem_1.jpg

Looks kinda brown in this pic, but it's actually more purplish. The pattern started smaller, but developed rapidly to where you see it now. Here's a pic of the bottom side of that leaf:

2017-04-09_dk1_day_29_leaf_problem_2.jpg

Now, what appears to be maybe an infestation is actually not, it's water deposits gone rogue I think. I was able to rub it off with my fingertip and it had that grainy feel to it. Oddly enough, the discoloration appearing on the leaf's topside doesn't come through to the backside of the leaf, which looks otherwise pretty normal.

DK #2, which has the exact same batch of nutes, looks just fine, no discoloration at all on new or old leaves. The leaves appear to be a darker green to me, but it could be a lighting trick.

So, is this nute burn? Did I mix the nutes badly, or choose the wrong ratio? Or are the LEDs too close (right now, they are 18" from top of plants)? Or did I carelessly and unknowingly splash some nutey water on the leaves and they got burned?

So, do I pluck these two leaves off? If I leave them on, will they have any effect on the plant in general?

OK, I took a look at the affected older leaves with my magnifier and compared them to a few sites with leaf diagnoses. I think it's a phosphorous deficiency:

Cannabis Phosphorus Deficiency - See the Symptoms & Get the Solution! | Grow Weed Easy

Which confuses me a bit. I mix my nutes in a huge pot, so both DK1 and DK2 get the same nutes. DK1 is the one with the problem, DK2 looks just peachy to me, no leaf problems. Weird, I dunno why DK1 should be hit but not the other. Anyway, I'm going to flush DK1 for a day with just pH balanced water and then redo the nutes. Hopefully that will clear this problem up.

Today is a somber day, for to note the end of a too-short life is a sad affair, laced with swirling emotions and dreams of disappearing buds.

As I pulled the top half of my GH WaterFarm up from the reservoir bottom part, to replace the nutes with a pH balanced H20 flush to rid DK1 of her supposed phosphorus deficiency, I noticed that the entire plant fell over. I pulled aside the bushy leaves to reveal a shriveled base of the entire plant itself, nearly severed from the root system below it.

Also, the rest of the plant felt bone dry; even though the nute/water level was always at top, none of it was able to reach the plant itself through that rotted base. The older leaves at the bottom were all paper thin, ready to break apart at the slightest touch.

I'm not sure what happened here, why she left me so young, and why DK2 is pleasantly thriving in the exact same environment. But as some people say, itizwatitiz, and life must go on.

So instead of a funeral, I tonight will hold a wake for DK1, who passed at 5:00 p.m. PST.

In lieu of donations, fuzzy feelings or "Wha' the hell?"s, or even the occasional haphazardly slung insult, I ask that you all raise your joint/pipe/vaporizer/whatever and toast to the dying and to the new who come to replace them.

Thanks DK1, you taught me something. Not sure what just yet, but you did. You will be remembered.

rip-dk1.png

Goodbye, young lassie, you left us too young.

Snif.

I've decided to do something: clone the "good" part of DK1. I cut off all the bottom branches and left just the top, then cut 3" up the stem at a 45 degree angle, then plopped that into soil with cloning gel. Let's see if I can get this gal kick started and going here. If not, no loss, just would be nice is all. And so may I present, Daughter (Clone) of the illustrious DK1:

2017-04-10_dk1_day_30_my_new_life_as_a_clone.jpg

I've decided to do something: clone the "good" part of DK1. I cut off all the bottom branches and left just the top, then cut 3" up the stem at a 45 degree angle, then plopped that into soil with cloning gel. Let's see if I can get this gal kick started and going here. If not, no loss, just would be nice is all. And so may I present, Daughter (Clone) of the illustrious DK1:

2017-04-10_dk1_day_30_my_new_life_as_a_clone.jpg

If you used clone x there's a pretty good chance it will root. That's good stuff.

Me: I wish to complain about this cannabis seed what I planted about a month ago.
Nature: Well, what's wrong with it?
Me: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lady. She's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Nature: No, no, she's uh,...she's resting.
Me: Look, matey, I know a dead plant when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now!
Nature: No no! She's pining!
Me: She's not pinin'! She's passed on! This plant is no more! Daughter of DK1 has ceased to be! She's expired and gone to meet 'er maker! She's a stiff! Bereft of life, she rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed her to the Solo Cup, she'd be pushing up the daisies! Her metabolic processes are now 'istory! She's off the twig! She's kicked the bucket, She's shuffled off 'er mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PLANT!!

And so, Daughter of DK1 is gone. Only vague, fleeting memories remain, and even the GH WaterFarm has been shed of every last vestige of her. Sometimes cloning doesn't work. She was just too far gone when I got to her. And that's how quickly it goes. Two days. Two days from first sign of trouble to total and complete annihilation.

Ah well, we begin again ....

DK2, on the other hand, is doing marvelously. I just changed the water in the reservoir, moving on to "aggressive" nutes. When I pulled the top part of the water farm up, a mass of healthy, vigorous roots dangled below. She's doing well, and I've done no LST nor scrogging. The way she's grown, it's all spread out anyway, virtually no upward growth yet. Let's see what happens now, and what happens in two weeks when I flip to flower. Perhaps I'll see some vertical growth yet.

Here she is, Donkey Kong #2 on day 34 from seed:

2017-04-14_dk2_day_34.jpg

Me: I wish to complain about this cannabis seed what I planted about a month ago.
Nature: Well, what's wrong with it?
Me: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lady. She's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Nature: No, no, she's uh,...she's resting.
Me: Look, matey, I know a dead plant when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now!
Nature: No no! She's pining!
Me: She's not pinin'! She's passed on! This plant is no more! Daughter of DK1 has ceased to be! She's expired and gone to meet 'er maker! She's a stiff! Bereft of life, she rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed her to the Solo Cup, she'd be pushing up the daisies! Her metabolic processes are now 'istory! She's off the twig! She's kicked the bucket, She's shuffled off 'er mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PLANT!!

And so, Daughter of DK1 is gone. Only vague, fleeting memories remain, and even the GH WaterFarm has been shed of every last vestige of her. Sometimes cloning doesn't work. She was just too far gone when I got to her. And that's how quickly it goes. Two days. Two days from first sign of trouble to total and complete annihilation.

Ah well, we begin again ....

Have you tried a DIY aeroponics cloner? You can build one for $40 and I get 90% success rate. Massive roots in 10-12 days.

Well, this is a nice surprise. DK2 is responding wonderfully to her first week of "aggressive veg nutes". I'm seeing about an extra few inches of height, and it almost looks to me like she's ready to flower. I'll have to experiment next time and see if going straight to "aggressive" nutes in veg is better than going a conservative route first.

And, here in week five of veg, I was going to take her to a full 6 weeks and then flip. But I'm starting to already see some whitish (I assume) cola points developing, and it looks like she really wants to start to flower. The seeds I got didn't say autoflower, but then they didn't say photoperiod either, but the way it's acting, I wonder if she is an autoflower after all and she's just gonna go ahead and start without me.

So, I'm thinking of flipping this weekend to 12/12 on the lights and doing a 5 week veg/6 week flower instead of 6/6. Any opinions? Should I go ahead do it, or not be so greedy and wait that extra week? I really want to maximize this harvest since DK1 died and I won't have as much as I'd originally hoped at harvest time.

2017-04-17_dk2_day_37.jpg

Back
Top Bottom