3 branches per node

In this age of hyper hybrids this mutation is fairly common. I have seen it 2 or 3 times in my tents. You will find that the plant otherwise is quite normal, and typically only two of those branches will become dominant, and the third will stay small and remain under the canopy.
The peculiar thing is, it’s only the one branch.. the rest of the plant has your standard paired up nodes

Edit: ohhhhh, after rereading your post I get what you mean. Yeah I like to take the slow to develop shoots as early as possible so I’ll keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the info

I have never even heard of it repeating above node 1
The full story is, basically this plant was one of my two most vigorous/branchy of my seven. I decided she’d be one I didn’t top (I’m trying various techniques just for education’s sake), but one day, I think day 25-26, that I was fixing her bondage I snapped her main stem about three nodes down from the top.. so now she’s this little stubby thing with 6 main shoots (I removed the first two nodes cause they were slow growing). One of those six shoots has 3 branch nodes all the way up.

The full story is, basically this plant was one of my two most vigorous/branchy of my seven. I decided she’d be one I didn’t top (I’m trying various techniques just for education’s sake), but one day, I think day 25-26, that I was fixing her bondage I snapped her main stem about three nodes down from the top.. so now she’s this little stubby thing with 6 main shoots (I removed the first two nodes cause they were slow growing). One of those six shoots has 3 branch nodes all the way up.
very interesting! I would love to see that. Definitely send us pics as that branch fills out in bloom

My Older gal there is filling in nicely. Her brother got clipped and was normal, and the next in line was a true hermaphrodite. These seeds are not highly hybridized. The (Mazar x Guerrero) was Swami genetics and I believe that they are purposely non stabilized F1s, the Punto Rojo father was pure landrace. The intersex plant did not surprise me, the mutation did. I imagine like anything else, poop happens...

So mine is some kind of rarity? Three branches per node and then the apical carries the 3 budsites per node all the way to the top. She is my first mutant with this ailment, I have had several with partially webbed or even numbers of leaflets.

very interesting! I would love to see that. Definitely send us pics as that branch fills out in bloom
Absolutely I will. I’m journaling the entire grow just as a word document for now, but I will most definitely publish the whole thing here on 420mag, gotta let all the people who have inspired me in my hobby to see how it’s going for me. I will most certainly tag you in it, Emilya, if for nothing more than to see the three node girl

So mine is some kind of rarity? Three branches per node and then the apical carries the 3 budsites per node all the way to the top. She is my first mutant with this ailment, I have had several with partially webbed or even numbers of leaflets.
Not sure I can call it a rarity just because I havent seen it, but it is interesting none the less. I would do a check to see if any of that bloodline carries a similar trait.

Looking at my seedlings today and I have another with the three leaves per node (whorlled phylotaxy/or triploid).

Again, "triploid" is a different thing; it is a form of polyploidism. Basically, it has to do with the number (sets) of chromosomes. A triploid cannabis plant can be expected to be seedless and sterile. I used to grow a triploid variety of basil (although I didn't know the proper term at the time :rolleyes: ). It still had male and female flowers, but I had to take and root cuttings in order to produce more plants. I suspect that certain seedless varieties of fruits are triploids, but have not bothered to go research it.

I have a link to an article about common cannabis mutations that was posted on the website of one of our long-term sponsors. I'll grab a copy, strip the current formatting, upload its images, and repost it somewhere on this forum - probably in Cultivation Scientific Data (although if someone thinks of a more appropriate section and wishes to have it moved after I repost it, I won't mind).

I have never heard of it only occurring on the first set of nodes, lol. Apparently, it can take either form.

I was talking about the common tri leafed plant that we see pop up now and then... but this is different... or is it? It sounds like you can stimulate that 3rd branch to do crazy things, and I have never seen that extra branch go dominant. This is fascinating and deserves some attention next time I see it. I am going to try to use LST methods to make that extra branch do something next time and see if this trait follows that growth tip through multiple nodes.

I was talking about the common tri leafed plant that we see pop up now and then... but this is different... or is it?

Hmm... I have been assuming it to be the same thing. But we all know that we can manipulate the growth pattern via injury (topping, FIM, and so forth). Perhaps the instances of a single "extra" growth could be attributed to something along the same lines? I suppose the same mechanism could be at work for the single extra thing if we haven't caused an injury - or even if there is no visible (or external) injury.

But this is merely supposition on my part. I really have no idea.

Hmm... I have been assuming it to be the same thing. But we all know that we can manipulate the growth pattern via injury (topping, FIM, and so forth). Perhaps the instances of a single "extra" growth could be attributed to something along the same lines? I suppose the same mechanism could be at work for the single extra thing if we haven't caused an injury - or even if there is no visible (or external) injury.

But this is merely supposition on my part. I really have no idea.
It requires further experimentation... next time I see one, I am going to work on it.

Here's the article I mentioned:
Top 10 Craziest Cannabis Mutations
It took twice as long to copy, strip the formatting, reformat to look correct on the forum, upload the images, insert them, switch the images to a better format for an article, add image descriptions, and post it than I expected. I must be getting old.

I got halfway through it and realized I could have simply posted a link to the original, because Sensi Seeds is one of our forum sponsors (and has been for years - buy Sensi Seeds ;) ).

excellent! I love Sensi seeds!
DSCF6839.JPG

Hey guys @Emilya @Ganjagrowergu @TorturedSoul

So as it turns out, my whirled phyllotaxy plant is female! She’s 1 week into flower now and she’s about 20 inches across and 8 inches tall. The branch that’s upper left in the photo has the whirled phyllotaxy

Awesome. Looks super healthy.

I had a little one that looked all messed up. The first couple leaf sets were whorlled. I claimed that I was going to kill it... but I never did. Turned out as a female and is still growing.

In the first picture you can kinda see the old growth. Otherwise she is just as robust as her sisters.

This is a pic of the apical on my oddly symmetrical three bud per node. Yes, same one I shared when your thread first started.
Fluffy, but really hasn't started to swell yet...

If anyone takes a plant with this mutation to harvest - and especially if you have "normal" examples of the same generation, in the same grow, to compare it/them to - please return to this thread and give your thoughts after testing (and weighing) the harvest.

If our photos were easily attainable, I'd put other pics in..

Back
Top Bottom