3 Felonies for 1.5 Oz

SlimDog53185

My best friend just got pulled over yesterday at 12:00 midnight. His lisence was expired so they searched his car. Found scales, baggies, and an ounce and a half. They confiscated his car took him to jail, and charged him with felonies for posession and distibution.

He lives in Tennesse. The thing is if he was 10 miles down the road in Kentucky he would have got to go home, and only had misdemeanor charges. Now he says hes moving back up here to KY. That is if he gets off on these charges. Hes facing 6 years. The judge told him he had to get his own lawyer because he had diamond earrings and all that weed. His hookup is getting him a lawyer and fronting more weed to get him on his feet. He also payed for his bail. This guy has always been a good friend and supplier for us.

I'd be pissed. The judge can't tell him he can't have a lawyer unless he pays for it. It your right to have one for free if you want. He may not get the car back. TN is strict on that kinda shit. It was a brand new car to.

sounds like the judge is an ass...

and yeah he could get a lawyer for free... its unlawfull i believe to deny that. Im sorry about your friend and i hope things go well

I am POSITIVE that a judge can't deny free counsel based on diamond earrings. The weed thing is just laughable, considering they probably took any large amount of cash he may have had on him...

But if things turn out bad with the lawyer he has now he could always play that card on appeal. Not sure if I'd say anything about it quite yet.

Bummer.. which state was that so I can remember never to visit. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

^ He's in Tennesse. I'm trying to stay away from there myself. I didn't know the laws were the bad down there.

I hate to tell you this, but you are only entitled to free court appointed legal council if you can prove through tax records that your yearly earnings and income is at a low level, thus it being necessary for the court to supply you with a lawyer. You don't get a free lawyer just because you request one.

Ok so why do we have the right to an attorney? I always got one for free, and never had to prove I couldn't afford it. I've never known anyone that couldn't get a free one.

The Right to Counsel

A criminal defendant's right to an attorney is found in the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which requires the "assistance of counsel" for the accused "in all criminal prosecutions." This means that a defendant has a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney during trial. It also means that if the defendant cannot afford an attorney, in almost all instances the government will appoint one to handle the case, at no cost to the defendant.

I did a usual, quick 10 min google and found out that some states can over ride that law during certain circumstances. I do find it odd that your boy was denied free counsel.

Gotta love those awesome southern republican cock sucking law makers/judges.

jakemeup said:
Gotta love those awesome southern republican cock sucking law makers/judges.

lmfao, but that is seriously fucked up to get any felony charges let alone any charge for pot, its shit like this that makes me even prouder to be Canadian and feel safer smoking even if I didn't have a medicinal license.

I'm origanally from TN.The laws there are screwed up.In order to posess pot in TN. you have to purchase a cannibas tax stamp.So in order to do that you have to incriminate yourself.

WOW, i thought we were through all this bullshit, 6 years and he's not even growing, he should get a year for all he was caught with. As for him getting weed from his supplier to get him some cash again. I hope thats in KY if its in TN then he's just asking for it, advise him to get a job. When he shows up to the judge have him explain i have a job this n that, idk though. I really thought we were done with this early 20th century bullshit about weed, and i've heard about that tax stamp but i'm almost positive they got rid of that b/c there was no point to it.
Another thing, his license was expired, so that was reason to search? i'm pretty sure his 3 felonies should be thrown in the garbage for that. As for the Champ, look he's not a dumbass for driving with that, well prob should've left the baggies and scale at the house, but who knows if he had just bought that too. The 1.5 oz that's really not serious weight, i've bought that much b4 mostly for personal but helped out my boys, to do 6 years for that HAH! The guy might've been goin to his boys house to weigh it out, maybe he doesn't have a house and hustles out of his car. Who knows but the weeds gotta move somehow and it's not like Long Island homie, in TN there's no walking or taking the train. It wasn't a stupid move, if the laws weren't so fucked up you'd get off with a fine, if anything.

now the thing is when you get charged in oregon they go on a sliding scale and when they say facing 6 yrs that is the maximum. they wont give him max unless he has priors. and i doubt it on a ounce and a half.

Back
Top Bottom