3 Outdoor Jacks & 1 Hash Passion

roaring lion

Greetings connoisseurs,

Late out of the gates, but here none the less...

Way back on May 6th, i dropped 3 Jack Herer feminized seeds from Canuk Seeds into some damp paper towel along with one of the free Hash Passion seeds that came with the order. It only took a day or two for the Jack's to pop a taproot and i moved them into some well used soil i was using to grow my Aloe Vera that was recently transplanted. the Hash Passion took a few days longer and i didn't think it would pop, but it did.

May 12th: 2 of 3 Jack's emerged from the soil and i was up and running. The 3rd popped out by the 14th (must have been a bit deeper) and the Hash Passion said hello by the 16th. Hello Beautiful Life...

I kept them in some smaller pots (4" or 5") for a bit, then into some 12" pots for a while and finally into their final resting homes which they sit now. I should have gone into bigger pots, but it's too late now! 2 of them are in 5 gallon pots, 2 are in slightly smaller pots. all of them have drain holes.

Soil:
Mixture of cactus soil (sandy), Vigoro Black Earth mix, composted manure (organic), and Vigoro garden mix. i also added some of my compost pile which i've been tending for over 4 years. no perlite.

Nutrients:
after about 2-3 weeks, i began adding 20-20-20 granular fertilizer in half the recommended concentration. gradually over the next month i increased dose, but never hitting the recommended mix ratio which was 5 mL per Litre (or 20 mL per Gallon of water). i never went more than 15 mL per gallon and i'm glad i didn't...i'll explain in a bit.

i continued to use the 20-20-20 until about 2-3 weeks ago. Veg growth has been robust, vigorous and very healthy. we had a wetter than average summer until about a week ago, which is great as we usually receive very little rain in summer and are threatened by wildfires most summers.

my preferred feeding schedule has been feed/feed/water/feed/feed/water/day off. so in a 7 day cycle they were getting fed 4 times, watered twice and a day off. i'll admit this might have been pushing it, but no side effects or any signs of overwatering ever materialized. as mentioned, nutes were given at less than recommended mixing concentrations.

our tap water is from a deep well, and is not treated by any filtration or chlorination. it borders on being "hard" water, but isn't classified as "hard" Iron and Manganese are the biggest contributors with levels (28 ppm or 28 mg/L) approaching what a Health Authority would consider close to not meeting Aesthetic Objectives. i could list all of the other minerals and their concentrations if you're interested based on the last potability test. either way, a lot of beneficial minerals for cannabis are in dissolved in solution in our tap water. Calcium, Magnesium, etc. etc. i'm not concerned in any way about the raw water. pH is 7.6.

about 10 days ago, i found my pH-conductivity meter (Extech) and teseted my feeding solution as i was making the transition to Flowering nutrients. i'm glad i kept the mixing ratio below recommended mixing for the 20-20-20. testing the ppm in solution at 15 mL per gallon turned out to be 1200 ppm of 20-20-20. i've read that 1400 ppm can burn plants, so i was close. definitely pushing it, but super green plants, extremely vigorous.

i've switched to Quick Grow liquid nutes i picked up from the hydro shop. Part 2 is 2-0-0, Part 3 is 0-4-4. I've read Jack Herer tends to like 3-5-5 during flowering, so this is about as close as i can get. i'm giving the girls 10 mL per gallon of this 2 part mix; this ends up being about 1100 ppm, so i think this is ideal? I've also dosed the ladies with some African Violet liquid fert that is 8-14-9. i'm mixing in 10 mL per gallon which gives me between 850-900 ppm. i've done this 3 times so far, once a week for the last 3 weeks. i know they don't need much N in Flower, but i'm just doing it once a week for the next couple of weeks partly because the Phosphorous level is quite juicy at 14, and a healthy bit of Potassium as well. i'll back off by the end of August with the African Violet mix and stick with the 2-4-4 Quick Grow before flushing during the home stretch.

the girls have all been tied down from early on. the main stems are all bent over with many of the side branches also getting yanked to spread the canopy and increase apical growth on the lateral branches. they look good and bushy, except for one which is displaying a beauty of a sativa phenotype.

sunlight
at the current position of the earth around the sun, the direct sunlight hits them between 730-745 a.m. and sets behind the mountain top at 6:00-6:30pm. they get plenty of UV-B in the am from 5 am until the sun hits them at 7:30 or so. in all they are receiving light from 5 am to 9 pm, with direct light from the aforementioned times. this will only be reduced as the season progresses and i am a bit concerned direct light won't be hitting them long enough in the day during the fall to promote dense buds. morning temps have been getting cooler, lowest temp i've had was yesterday morning at 5.6 degrees C (42 F). i've got a greenhouse that will be assembled in the next few weeks, but our day time temps can be HOT, often in the low 30's in Celsius (85 F). not uncommon to have september days in the 20's (68-72F) with some october days in the low teens (close to 60 F). if Jack takes as long as 12 weeks to finish, i'll need the greenhouse to protect from frost which will hit by the 2nd or 3rd week of september if not sooner.

current state of the grow
the little pistils have been present for since july 17th, but no "real" bud growth is happening. see photos.

can't wait to hear from all of ya'll...

Attachments

• 4 ladies.jpg
    4 ladies.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20190804_203053.jpg
    20190804_203053.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • hpassion.jpg
    hpassion.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 185
  • 20190804_203129.jpg
    20190804_203129.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190804_203148.jpg
    20190804_203148.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 165
  • jacknode.jpg
    jacknode.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 167
  • nodeclose.jpg
    nodeclose.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 165
hopefully the stretch ends soon and the flowering begins...thanks greenlizard. what neck of the woods you living in? you out west or back east? don't have to answer either...

Nova Scotia.

Thanks. I have a new journal on the go above that in my signature. I've been growing perpetually since my first grow in October. Looking forward to taking a break for a couple months next summer.

Gotta make that hay... :ganjamon:

what can i say...i'm a bit of a nerd. i figured the more info, the better. first time growing in over 14 years...it's legal in Canada now bro!
Your absolutely right! More info the better.

What neck of the woods you from? Sorry if I missed it, if you already posted it, I just kinda skimmed through as I got busy after my last post.

You must be in BC though, as you were talking about mountains. I’m in Alberta by the way! :ciao:

I’m not sure what to expect for your summers, As Alberta the frost sets in, last time I tried a plant outside I had to give it away as I didn’t have the space necessary as I do now.

Your kind stuck on waiting for shorter days, you can kick start the flowering by covering them up after 12 hours of light. Could be anywhere from 8-10 weeks once into flower. When does the frost start setting in about there where your at? You should maybe think about that, does the 8-10 week time frame fit in the time frame before frost/winter?

I’m not an outdoor grower so I don’t have any special considerations necessarily, tips for a successful harvest, keep an eye on bugs! Feed them the food the desire and have fun!!

I just noticed the size of pots your ladies are in, what size are those? A few pictures also resemble a plant wilting, could be thirsty, could be over watered, could be over fed, but not likely as I don’t see any extra markings on the plants leaves. It may also be the roots aren’t overly happy because of the size of pot.

Let’s get some more people in here. @carcass @greenjeans who else grows outside, @Kanda

Let’s see if any of these members can help you as well sir!:thumb:

frost can be anytime in september. i've seen it happen by the 14th with a flash cold night at -2 wiping out my vegetable garden. definitely stuck waiting and being concerned doesn't make the days any shorter. i could move them to a different spot in my yard to lessen direct sunlight with the risk of being grazed by deer that pass through frequently. i'm thinking that the "shelter logic" carport i'll be turning into a green house might have to happen sooner than later...could shade out one side of it with doors off either end for now during the hot days ahead. over 30 C today

I’m not an outdoor grower so I don’t have any special considerations necessarily, tips for a successful harvest, keep an eye on bugs! Feed them the food the desire and have fun!!

I just noticed the size of pots your ladies are in, what size are those? A few pictures also resemble a plant wilting, could be thirsty, could be over watered, could be over fed, but not likely as I don’t see any extra markings on the plants leaves. It may also be the roots aren’t overly happy because of the size of pot.

Let’s get some more people in here. @carcass @greenjeans who else grows outside, @Kanda

Let’s see if any of these members can help you as well sir!:thumb:
interesting observation. i had just let them dry out for an extra day, so maybe wilting due to lack of water. i've definitely been feeling like i've been overwatering but have been using their weight to indicate thirst. i'll probably back off on my water/feeding ritual. i just read @Emilya 's post about properly watering. nice bit of detail in there.

pot size: good question...one of them is 5 gallon, others are 3-4 gallon. i've been tossing the idea of upping the pot size but also don't want them to keep on vegging or stress them out as they switch to flowering. ideas?

Moving your plants into a more shaded area might not work because they rely on that 12 hours of pure dark to flip into flower, and continue the flower phase.

That’s a great thread, if your following it to a T then there shouldn’t be anything wrong with your watering techniques. Let’s see if any of these other great members stop in and have any ideas.

Back
Top Bottom