3 White Widow & 1 BC Big Bud, Hydro Drip

snowbound

First time growing hydro. Many years ago I grew plenty in and out but all in soil. With full legalization here in Canada I figured I would give hydro a chance.

Using the drip method with clay pellets. This right off the bat turned out to be the most challenging thing to get right. I presoaked the pellets in 5.3 PH water. But this was after I had rinsed them with tap water. And my tap water is at about 7.5 PH. This was my first mistake, and it nearly killed me before I got out of the gate. I could not control the PH at all, just kept getting too high too fast. I figured the rinse in tap water was my problem. I pulled the plants from the buckets ( they were nearly dead at this point so I did not think I had much to lose ) and thoroughly soaked the pellets again at 5.3 PH. Put plants back in the buckets and off we went. PH was under control and things made a dramatic change for the better.

I am using a 6.5 x 6.5 x 6.5' grow tent. I have a 20" carbon filter hooked up and this also vents my 2 1000 W HID lights. For veg I used 1 MH and 1 HPS 1000W air cooled lights. Room temp is typically from 75 to 80'. RH is low. I cannot get above 30%, this is even with a humidifier running 24/7. The inline exhaust fan just takes it all away. Even used two wet towels at the same time, no go. With lights off and main exhaust fan off np to get RH up at 70%, but as soon as lights come on with the fan that is brought down to the mid 20's in no time.

The plants are in 20l pails with 10" mesh pots. I started out with 5 buckets, 4 for plants and one for reservoir. This I quickly realized was too small and subject to a lot of fluctuation in PH and EC. So I got a 95 l tub and now use 80 l of nutrient solution. I keep the bigger one outside the room to better manage temps and pump into the plants and back to the reservoir from the 5th bucket inside tent.

I started the plants off at one feeding cycle of 15 mins on and 45 mins off. This quickly got to 15 on and 15 off for lights on cycle. I use GH triple nutrient mix along with Calmag. Seedlings started off at .6 EC and during veg I got them up to 1.7 EC just before flipping cycle.

Here are the plants on Dec 12th.

Attachments

• dec 12.jpg
    dec 12.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 215
Here is my pic from today. They are growing really well I think, especially considering I near killed them in the first 7 days. :oops: I switched over to two 1000W HPS for flowering today as well.

Attachments

• jan 6.jpg
    jan 6.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 204
Doing some fan leaf pruning and small branch removal on bottom of plants today. Noticed that the emitters had not come on the whole time I was there. At some point late last night on last checkup I must of somehow managed to touch the button on the side of the timer. Best I can figure they went last hour last night and first three hours today with no nutrients.

That's an unforced error for sure. I don't see any ill effects from it. Just before I realized what was going on I was trying to figure out why the nutrient temp was a little cooler than usual... because it wasn't circulation. Wicked.

There are always 2-4" of solution on the bottom of each bucket so the roots had access but still no need for dumb errors like that. Just glad I caught it early.

Well your from Canada and your growing in hydro. How can I not sit in. Looking good in the tent.

I gotta ask, where did you get a 6.5x6.5 tent??? I have a 5x5 and that extra little bit of room would be nice as I do 4 buckets too.

Mine is a Fusion Hut, bought it right in my home town here in NL. I think I may get height challenged, hopefully not.

That's a great setup you have there. Looks very efficient. Awesome. I will follow your grow for tips for sure. :)

I am figuring out things as I go along and make changes as I feel I need to. Labor of love.

Yes, Newfoundland, west coast.

Looks like yours are coming along fine now. Great job.

You know you can buy clones online now , and the grow shop in Corner Brook sells feminized seeds. Just something to keep in mind for your next project.

An extended trip to NL is on the bucket list for the wife and I. I worked for many years with a fellow from North West Brook, unfortunately he's passed on but his wife and mine are still very close. Shes from Clarenville.

Ya. I knew about the clones online. Not sure how that’s going to work. I’m on the east coast. Not going to corner brook for seeds. Do they sell online? Pm me there name if you don’t want to post it here. Nice to have a fellow Newfie here.

https://homegrowexperts.ca/

I was shocked at how much growing gear they had on hand in the store.

9 days into flowering cycle. Changed out nutrient solution today. New 80 liters of water. Ph at 5.9 and EC at 1.5. Using GH triple mix with cal mag added as well.

Here is a pic of the root ball on one of the girls.

Attachments

• ROOTS JAN 9.jpg
    ROOTS JAN 9.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 151
Back
Top Bottom