30% and what it means

Jackalope

Now that THC has reached the 30% mark multiple times. We know that THC can be that high. Thing is 30% THC strains don't show a major difference in trichome production. So it ends up what is in those trichomes that matter. My questions.

Say 30% is as high as resin content is going to go. As CBD is bred into marijuana how much does the amount CBD affect the THC?
If the CDB hits 20% does that mean the THC percent can't be more than 10%?

If only so much resin can go into those trichomes. Does the amount of CBD stand in the way of the THC?

Example: Can a strain have 20% THC and 20% CBD? Or would that make it a 40% strain a level of resin we may never hit?

I say this because there are people who need CBD that don't mind being high. I see more CBD strains bred with less THC than more of it. If 30% is around the limit of resin content. I see a 15% THC x 15% CBD strain as a perfect strain.

Not that I pay a lot of attention to it, but the stuff at the Dispensaries usually the two add up to 25% max and most are more in the 20% range or less, far as the higher CBD stuff goes or what is around here. Imagine a lot of variables in how they test it or what they send in to be tested, but I haven't seen much Flower that gets over that 31% range mark. But I'm not convinced the number means anything as I have bought stuff that was 16% kick just as hard as the 28% stuff, so I shop more by smell and visual look of it and pretty much ignore the THC% (when I do buy it at Dispensaries).

I have found low THC varieties that can blow me away. The THC level is just a number, but as others have stated, its all about the mix of terpenes and all the delta levels of THC and CBD and all the other things in the package, that makes the difference.
Each plant has a personality and each plant will speak to you in a different way. I bought my first seeds based on the high THC number and of course bought White Widow as being one of the strongest. That was a long long time ago, and since then I have learned that there are times when White Widow doesn't speak to me as strongly as Jack Herer, and there are other times when the brute strength of a Kona is not as desirable as a Green Crack, and there are some days when Sugar Black Rose is the only thing I want.
What is the best pot out there? The pot that you grew, and who produced those buds just for you. There is a symbiosis that occurs between grower and plant and you will find that scientific measurements don't always tell the whole story.

Very true Emilya. It always seems I like my weed more than I do dispensary weed. Even when it is the same strain. I always thought I was the best grower in the world, Now I find out it is a personal bond with the plant, Well shit LMAO.

While each person is going to be affected differently. There are some very prominent highs out there. The strain Headband says it all. Most people will notice its namesake effects. It is one of the main effects I look for in weed. Both indicas and sativas can have it along with other effects. All my favorite strains will have similar heady effects no matter where they take me in the end. They call in euphoria or cerebral lots of different things. Not sure which ones are the same effect by a different name. In the end you feel the high in your head. There are some very strong indicas out there that are all body and no head at all. These strains don't seem to get me what I call "High"no matter how strong they are. So basically if the heady part is not there I am not going to like the strain. No big deal because I have found plenty that do.

I make my own custom blends.
Will take a high CBD strain like Hiydrow that's 16% CBD and 8% THC that's been cured nicely for a year, add a nice 22% THC Blueberry that's cured for 6 months or more and sometimes a 3rd strain also.
Mix and match and blend, you can end up with that 15% CBD 15% THC blend with a varied terpene profile.

I mix mine also, I mix strains that are 15 -20% CBD and less than .3 % THC with 20% + THC strains, usually 50/50 mix. Def more mellow buzz than a loopy THC high. And it helps me sleep through the night...

Cannabis will produce a maximum combined THC + CBD of about 30-35%. Synthesis of these share a common precurser, CBG. The downstream reaction to CBD or THC is controlled by a single gene locus with two codominant alleles.

The amount of thc or cbd is controlled by other genes, so different phenotypes will express different total amounts of each. From my understanding that would mean a maximum of about 15-20% of either.

For example, From what i have seen, strains with a 2:1 ratio CBD:THC are producing below the max THC level rather than above the max CBD level, ie 10% CBD and 5% THC. Thats just what i have seen, perhaps someone can share other experiences. i see nunyabiz mentioned a 16%:8% strain, that seems to be pushing the max for a 2:1 ratio.

Here is a paper with more detail, published recently, by some gene researchers
The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.

Cannabis will produce a maximum combined THC + CBD of about 30-35%. Synthesis of these share a common precurser, CBG. The downstream reaction to CBD or THC is controlled by a single gene locus with two codominant alleles.

The amount of thc or cbd is controlled by other genes, so different phenotypes will express different total amounts of each. From my understanding that would mean a maximum of about 15-20% of either.

For example, From what i have seen, strains with a 2:1 ratio CBD:THC are producing below the max THC level rather than above the max CBD level, ie 10% CBD and 5% THC. Thats just what i have seen, perhaps someone can share other experiences. i see nunyabiz mentioned a 16%:8% strain, that seems to be pushing the max for a 2:1 ratio.

Here is a paper with more detail, published recently, by some gene researchers
The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.
Cool info

Interesting nunyabiz. It would seem the maximum total cannabinoids is more like 40% rather than the 30-35% generally quoted. It is an observed maximum not a theoretical one. They appear to be rocking it with that strain, it is certainly an outlier. Have to wonder how seedsman is outperforming the entire industy.

For me, all that worrying about strains is too much...plus it depends on which part of the plant you are getting, which is rarely advertised and sometimes not even known.

I typically get bubble hash or wax and some CBD isolate thats smokable and use those as bowl toppers so I dont have to care about finding the right strain and is it out of stock and all that other stuff. :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom