30 seedlings - What light to use?

BlazinD

I will have 30 seedlings soon...I plan to start them indoors (small closet) then transplant them outside (in the open). I have a couple questions:

1) What type of lights should I use while they are indoors (CFL's or HPS's) and what wattage?

2) When will it be safe to transplant them outdoors? Is there a specific height...etc?

3) What is a safe temperature to maintain in my closet?

4) What is the proper technique to harden my plants for the transplant outdoors?

Thank you all in advance!

1. Lights - 2 , 48 inch , double tube flourescent ( shop light ) fixtures. 2. height, - No specific height. When the roots are grown sufficently ( root bound ). 3. Temp. - 68 - 76 F. 4. Place plants in a bright light , but not direct sun , gradually increasing to full sun in a few days . :peace:

Thanks Paladin... Are these 48" shoplite the cfl's I have been hearing about...my closet space is about 2x4 and there is no ventilation...The temp should not be a problem with these lights...also, should I keep a fan on them to strengthen the plant? If so, how long...thank you so much!

No . CFL stands for compact flourescent . Those are the twisted shaped bulbs that will fit into a standard light socket. The 48 inch shop lights use 48 inch long tube style bulbs . Either will work . The length of the shop light is 48 and one half inches , plus add another one half inch so that the power cord isn't crimped. If you space is exactly 48 inches wide these won't fit unless they are horizontaly or verticaly angled. Temp should not be a problem with either type of light. Use of Fans is ok . It all depends on weather or not you get enough exchange of air in your growing space.

OK thanks...one more question then I should be good to go...as soon as they break the soil...(my seedlings) should the light be put on them then?

yup, the plants wants as much light as they can get when they pop out. the long flouro tubes dont create much heat but ventilation isnt only for heat, you want fresh air getting to your plants so the air doenst become stagnet.

fishingman, paladin already answered that one :cheesygrinsmiley:
No . CFL stands for compact flourescent . Those are the twisted shaped bulbs that will fit into a standard light socket.

Back
Top Bottom