300W COB vs. QB vs. ?

BigDannel

Hi everyone,

Getting back into things after a break for a few years. Currently running one of my old Apollo 180W UFOs and supplementing with two 60W CFLs, plants are only a few weeks so they've been doing fine. I've used these lights before and got pretty good yields, but I would like to upgrade without spending an insane amount of money. Reading through the forums gave me a good idea what to look for and what to avoid so thanks for all that information already.

What are your thoughts on the 300W Mars COB light, does anyone have it? Currently $259 but buy one get one free, seems like a good deal and I'm very interested in the COB lights.

Would I be better off running a BudgetLED light? It just doesn't seem like I'll be able to get the same wattage for the price, especially with the buy one/get one sale that Mars has on the COB light. Or am I better off doing something else entirely? Tent is 3x3.

I have the COB it is a nice light but for just 30 more bucks the TSW2000 is the way to go.

I have the COB it is a nice light but for just 30 more bucks the TSW2000 is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply. If you had two of those COBs for the price of one (and $30 less than the TSW2000), which do you think would perform better?

Normally I wouldn't be over-thinking it so much, it's the "buy one get one free" deal that's making me debate so much.

The TSW2000 will for sure cover 3x3 area better then two COB. For the COB you would need three to compare to one 2000 for power and coverage. TS for the win my friend
:passitleft:

Oh use my discount for USA TS is US$261.89 out the door so 22$ difference lol

Ok I promise last post here, not trying to sale you just trying to help you over a $22 difference. Start off with the COB. You will need three to meet the power needed for a 3x3 which means the formation of lights would have to be hung in a triangle formation in turn would leave you a short area on two corners for light coverage. That will also make you have to have six straps to adjust three different lights for height and triangle formation. One last thing on COB the total for USA would be $488.78 with my discount. Now a short story on TS. One light full coverage over 3x3 and two straps to adjust height. It will be about half the total weight of lights and compared to three COB well four with B1G1 a difference in price of 226.89 cheaper for one TS

Ok I promise last post here, not trying to sale you just trying to help you over a $22 difference. Start off with the COB. You will need three to meet the power needed for a 3x3 which means the formation of lights would have to be hung in a triangle formation in turn would leave you a short area on two corners for light coverage. That will also make you have to have six straps to adjust three different lights for height and triangle formation. One last thing on COB the total for USA would be $488.78 with my discount. Now a short story on TS. One light full coverage over 3x3 and two straps to adjust height. It will be about half the total weight of lights and compared to three COB well four with B1G1 a difference in price of 226.89 cheaper for one TS

No worries, I really appreciate the help so the posts are welcomed! I think I've made up my mind to NOT go with the COB lights, the coverage and the layout I'd have to use was one of my concerns as well. I much prefer the square design of the TSW2000 and the price is not that bad at all. I just want to do a little more digging to see if the step up to lights in the $400-$600 range from somewhere like BudgetLED is worth it for me. I've had pretty good results using lower quality blurple lights, so I just want to weigh the options and see where the "sweet spot" is for me - aka where I'm getting a quality light that will last and give good results but not something that I'm overpaying for. Mainly going to look into the LED diodes themselves... I am not too concerned with increased electric bills given all my options will be LED. Thanks again for your help!

If your considering QB’s then seriously take a hard look at BudgetLED. They use the Samsung lm301 diodes... same diodes that are used in HLG lights. I own both HLG and BudgetLED and they the exact same light pretty much just look different. They are extremely efficient and grow some big frosty nugs.... now that’s not to down play mars hydro lights because they have great fixtures as well and grow frosty monsters. But out of the two BudgetLED is going to be the all around more efficient light, although more expensive... just wanted to add my 2 pennies about the QB’s.

If your considering QB’s then seriously take a hard look at BudgetLED. They use the Samsung lm301 diodes... same diodes that are used in HLG lights. I own both HLG and BudgetLED and they the exact same light pretty much just look different. They are extremely efficient and grow some big frosty nugs.... now that’s not to down play mars hydro lights because they have great fixtures as well and grow frosty monsters. But out of the two BudgetLED is going to be the all around more efficient light, although more expensive... just wanted to add my 2 pennies about the QB’s.

Thanks! When you speak about the efficiency, are you strictly talking about electrical use vs. output? I wouldn't be too worried about $5-$10 a month on the bill but if efficiency is also related to increased yields, healthier plants, etc., then I would consider paying the extra amount. Both the Mars and BudgetLED lights seem to be reliable and stand behind their products. Would a BudgetLED light, given all other variables being the same, produce more in a 3x3 than the Mars? Which BudgetLED would be best for that size tent? I was looking at their site and was a little confused as to which model of light would be best for me, is there a link somewhere that describes the different "lines" of lights they offer? Appreciate your help, if you don't have it handy don't worry, I can email them directly to ask.

The BudgetLED diodes have more efficient lighting in almost every aspect which is going to lead to more potent buds and increased yields. I’m not the best at picking light sizes for people’s set ups as I almost always go overkill with my lighting... so I will leave that recommendation to @Budget LED rep Justin. He’s very knowledgeable and helpful so if you have any other questions regarding their lights feel free to ask him.

Thanks! When you speak about the efficiency, are you strictly talking about electrical use vs. output? I wouldn't be too worried about $5-$10 a month on the bill but if efficiency is also related to increased yields, healthier plants, etc., then I would consider paying the extra amount. Both the Mars and BudgetLED lights seem to be reliable and stand behind their products. Would a BudgetLED light, given all other variables being the same, produce more in a 3x3 than the Mars? Which BudgetLED would be best for that size tent? I was looking at their site and was a little confused as to which model of light would be best for me, is there a link somewhere that describes the different "lines" of lights they offer? Appreciate your help, if you don't have it handy don't worry, I can email them directly to ask.
Thanks for considering us.

Our SQ designs are best for a 3 x 3. Here is our most popular one.

The only downside right now is we had a much higher demand on 420 than expected. The Series 3 Red Spec is currently on pre-order. We expect to begin building lights towards the end of next.

The TSW2000 will for sure cover 3x3 area better then two COB. For the COB you would need three to compare to one 2000 for power and coverage. TS for the win my friend
:passitleft:

I think that's what I'm going to go with, just waiting to hear back on possible shipping delays... I don't want to be waiting over a month for the light so hopefully will get some good news on fast shipping.

Our new TSW2000 is on its way and is expected to arrive in early May. There are so many goods in short supply in America right now that good things are worth waiting for:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom