300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
Welcome to our comparison between 300w LED and a 400w HID.

To maximize the opportunity for phenotype consistency two PPP seeds will be germinated and grown out for use as mother plants. When they are mature enough, clones will be cut and two different cloning methods will be used for rooting. Genetically identical clones will then be selected for the comparison grow.

1) The Lights

• For the test, ------------ has donated one of their 300w LED Grow lights ($949.99 plus shipping)[/url]
  • The HID side will be represented by the following equipment:
  • Lumatek 400w digital electronic ballast.
  • Sun Systems Yield Master II 6" air-cooled reflector.
  • Sylvania Metalarc 400w MH bulb for vegetative phase.
  • USHIO HiLUX Gro 400w HPS bulb for flowering phase.

2) LED Specifications and Recommendations for Use.

• ------------ recommends to not exceed a distance of 30" inches from the canopy in vegetative phase and 16" in flowering.
  • Approximate coverage Area of 4.5' x 4.5' and 3' x 3' core saturation.
  • Size: 19"X13"X3"
  • Weight: 19 pounds
  • Running with glass shield in place

3) HID Specifications and Recommendations for Use:

• Lumatek latest version dimmable 400w electronic digital ballast. (no dimming or "superlumens" mode will be used).
  • Sun Systems Yield Master II 6" air/coolable reflector. Dimensions: 18 1/2" long x 22 1/2" wide x 7 1/4" tall.
  • Sylvania Metalarc MH400U 400w metal halide bulb for veg.
  • USHIO HiLUX GRO 400w HPS bulb for flowering.

4) Key Details and Other Parameters:

• Tents are Secret Jardin DR80's; qty 2, 32" X 32" X 64".
  • The strain is Pure Power Plant from Nirvana Seeds.
  • Maximum of 4 plants per light. One tent per light.
  • Total veg time before flowering will be decided by the Growmeister - during the grow
  • Grower shall may cull up to two plants from each tent at any point in order to optimize environment and maximize yield.
  • Plants will be harvested individually when trichomes are approximately 75/25 cloudy/amber.
  • Nutes will be General Hydroponics 3-part Flora series.
  • The containers are 3-gallon self-watering pots.
  • Clones will be transplanted directly into the self-watering pots.
  • The grow medium will be 80% Perlite and 20% Pondcare Aquatic Soil.
  • Each tent is independently ventilated by a Soler & Palau TD100X (100cfm) 4” exhaust fan mounted outside the tent, pulling air through a 4” HTG Supply Pure Flow 4 carbon filter mounted horizontally at the top of each tent for odor control. Intake is passive and through vents at the bottom of each tent.
  • Setting Sun's discretion to alter any setpoints or targets during the grow.

5) Objective

• The point of this grow is to maximize net dry weight from each side for comparison
  • Each tent may be run with different setpoints at the discretion of the Growmeister
    Harvest will be performed when the Growmeister estimates 75/25 cloudy/amber; a nice "head high target"

6) Netiquette

• 420 Magazine's Forum Posting Guidelines apply
  • Bashing, flaming, or arguing on the part of any parties will result in an immediate ban. There will be no LED flame wars in this thread
  • HPS vs. LED comparison discussion are welcome - please keep comments constructive and positive

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

I'm in, thanks for the invitation. Professor Setting Sun embarks on another master class in horticulture.

On behalf of all who benefit from your work and level-headed narratives, thanks a million for your efforts.

Best,
HN

Been waitin for this! :)

LED v HID. We all want to see how this one comes out. Do standby :popcorn:
A fair demonstration of lights' generation: What offers value to me? :hmmmm:

This means alot: Setting Sun's got the chops to honor methodology. :adore:
A careful technician if not a magician, he'll compare this new technology. :thanks:

i am in for this ride for sure. cant wait to see how this grow turns out and see what happens?

good luck SS and thanks for doing this for us.

Wouldn't miss this for nothin...:popcorn:

Been waitin for this! :)

i'm along for the ride!:bravo:

Count me in.

Thank you all for the kind words and your participation ;).

The last grow was good, but LED/HID is what many of us are interested in.

I think the tents will be very well matched, and going into this, even if you asked me off the record if I had a favorite, I would say no.

The 400w HID is a proven entity, and 400w is the highest recommended in my DR80 tents.

The GLH 300w LED is the new kid on the block, but has demonstrated some very impressive results in some recent grows.

I'll be posting pics of the grow setup, and also power consumption, heat, light intensity, etc.

thanks again!

and.....

:welcome:

I'm a medical marijuana patient with a full-time day job, who loves technology and loves to grow.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This is exactly why I follow ALL of your grows..

It's like you're my brother from another mother...:grinjoint:

Awesome, I have been looking at that LED on their website - I'm in! :popcorn:

Awesome, I have been looking at that LED on their website - I'm in! :popcorn:

:welcome: Green007, nice to have you along ;).

Would lve to see some kil-a-watt measurements of actual power usage for each tent

I am gathering lots of data and will be reporting it soon. If I miss something that you're interested in, please let me know and I will do my best to obtain the numbers.

thanks Vapoorize ;)

Hey, kids! Long Time No See! What'd I miss? :) Interesting to see how the last one turned out... :reading420magazine:

Lining up to be another epic Consumer Digest here, with props to Soniq420 for keepin' it real (and real clean), Setting Sun for navigating the waters with aplomb, style - and grace - the Sponsors for puttin' it out there ('airing their junk?'...), 420 for hosting, the peeps for following, and Propa Gator for Rhymin' in Reason! :smokin:

Been busy with several projects myself since Feb or so...will try to stop by a bit when I can. (A little back injury from March's sidelined me somewhat since then. Having recurring back pain ain't nearly as fun as I'd imagined. Anyone who hasn't been there just doesn't understand...and for those who do, I feel ya)

Would lve to see some kil-a-watt measurements of actual power usage for each tent

I'll second that...nice to see what the line side draw is for this HID with a digital ballast as well as for the LED. Don't forget to do a second reading when switching from MH to HPS, and a re-test the LED at the same time to see if it's changed since plugging in!

Good to see some old faces and the new ones as well! Keep the faith! (be it a brand name, or the non-denominational kind...'save money on your next faith by going Generic! Works in Canada!' ;) )

:nicethread:

Regards,

-TL

P.S. A special shout-out to brother Soniq420...I'm jonesin' for a Gumby Dammit and Pokey Stix! You know what I mean! :)

TL!

Long time no see, but your timing is impeccable ;).

So glad to see you again!

Yep, will take readings for both MH and HPS, and will re-test the LED at same time to see if draw has changed.

It seems that 14" seems to be a popular distance to measure LED intensity. Is that some kind of unofficial industry standard?

I would like to record intensities at two distances minimum. What would you suggest?

I'll also record intensity at several points along a 30 x 30" grid.

Back
Top Bottom