300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - GrowLEDHydro 300w LED vs. 400w HID

i should try out my pure IR led lights sometime. i have two 90w ufo ones that were givien to me long time ago. i let my buddy borrow them to test out but he never used them or gave them back.lol. i need to get those back for sure and test it on a plant to see what happens. I totally for got about those lights until now!!! i also have some pure red led that are 180w that i also let him use but never used or gave back.lol.. shit now that i think about it i have allot of led units that just sit in my closet not being used.lol.. i think i have like 7 units? when its time for me to retire i will have to sale them all and buy a big house.lol:) or a yacht

I think I need to go back to school so I can keep up with all the info pouring in here. :goodjob:

Sorry about the stem rot SS, hope she makes it. :)

Sorry Sun Seems like we always learn the hard way. :smokin::smokin:
Who would have thought it tho? :smokin:

thanks OMM, you've got a kind heart ;).

I'm trying not to be too harsh with myself over not noticing, but a week of droopy leaves should have caused me more concern than it did.

It may not have made any difference, since apparently stem rot is usually fatal even if you catch it early, and there isn't much you can do to treat it, but the change should have tipped me off that something was wrong.

I did learn something valuable, and that's good, but makes me sad to lose a plant.

We'll see how she's doing tonight, and if she doesn't make it, maybe the cuts I take will.

Who knows, maybe I need more practice with clones and that was her purpose ;),

thanks buddy;).

Right, have to think positive. Keep that positive energy flowing brother. :)

Absolutely, being negative takes more energy, and energy management is important when you're old ;).

The UPS truck left another box at the door yesterday. I was explaining the Kill A Watt meter to Mrs. Sun, and she commented that I should get one that measures *my* energy usage, and even suggested where it could plug in.

Mrs. Sun, she's a keeper ;).

SS Sorry to hear about your problems my friend! Have you had issues with the plugs doing this in the past? I have always debated whether to put the plug into the medium so the medium covers the entire plug, or to leave a bit hanging up into the medium.

I love my bio-dome and my starting plugs, as I have found a way to clone them 100% and rooted in a week with those things! I used to get fungus in them. Lots of careful watch and attention needs to be paid to that shit, it is just too easy to overlook...I feel your pain SS. Not saying you have done anything wrong!!! By all means, you are a highly respected grower on these forums!

What is the plan? You going to try to save it? How can we prevent issues such as this? Was it a fluke?

Sorry for all the random questions! Just soaking it all up my friends...

-Go!

Soniq- thanks for the link. Have not had a chance to download the entire paper, but read thru the abstract. What was your read on this??? My impression was that the effects of increased UV-B was mostly detrimental? Maybe I don't read this thing right.

Soniq- thanks for the link. Have not had a chance to download the entire paper, but read thru the abstract. What was your read on this??? My impression was that the effects of increased UV-B was mostly detrimental? Maybe I don't read this thing right.

I had a typo in my initial reply.

My understanding is that some makers claim UV has detrimental effective and IR has positive effects.

The claims I've read are that IR improves respiration and increases the rate at which a plant's cell is able to regenerate and repair itself. I haven't finished the paper either ;)

GrowLEDHydro, as is being demonstrated here, doesn't use any IR or UV, all their light is in the visible spectrum (12 different wavelengths)

I'm hoping one of our resident scientists stops by and weighs in on this question. I personally haven't formed a strong opinion on the issue and am still in "watch and learn" mode.

I have an opinion, but can't quote provenance.
High temperature can increase growth rate, only if other limiting factors are in line.
Like CO2 + air turbulence for delivery to stomata. Infra red increases temperature, and can come from a cheap heat-lamp, or passage of higher frequency light through a sheet of glass. One could call this a loss conversion of growth energy, or a gain in beneficial IR (tongue in cheek). Knocking down the short-wave UV light is essential for human vision use. LED arrays for growth should be avoiding these spectra.
Doomsday scenarios regarding ozone depletion and resulting UV increases' effect on life of every type seem unanimous: not good.
My grow observations so far concerning trichome production under CMH vs HPS tell me no difference. Total growth and rate may have differences, but other factors cloud my personal vision of this.
Bottom line: for more trichomes grow a 'better' strain and don't kill it with UV or IR.

Speaking of killing things, I got the LED panel too close to the VK girls and got some bleaching on some of the buds closest to the light.

The light was at 10", but the girls grew or swelled 1-2" in 24 hours, and the resulting 8-9" was too close.

Will post pics on the other journal later today.

rechecked my power usage with a Kill A Watt meter and here's the readings:

P10100069.JPG

P101000510.JPG

P10100107.JPG

P10100158.JPG

P10100188.JPG

The above pic is a recheck of the light with the meter I used initially, to verify that the readings haven't changed significantly, which they haven't, and to confirm that the discrepancy between my unit and dog's unit was due to using different meters.

dogsnova measured his unit with the Kill A Watt meter at:

Amps 2.92
Volts 113.1
Watts 361 to 365
Power Factor 98

My unit with the Kill A Watt:

Amps 3.02
Volts 119.4
Watts 354 to 358
Power Factor 98

P10100069.JPG

P101000510.JPG

P10100107.JPG

P10100158.JPG

P10100188.JPG

The above pic is a recheck of the light with the meter I used initially, to verify that the readings haven't changed significantly, which they haven't, and to confirm that the discrepancy between my unit and dog's unit was due to using different meters.

dogsnova measured his unit with the Kill A Watt meter at:

Amps 2.92
Volts 113.1
Watts 361 to 365
Power Factor 98

Amps 3.02
Volts 119.4
Watts 354 to 358
Power Factor 98

now it makes more sense, i was thinking the Harbor freight meter might be off.

Sonic-

The claims I've read are that IR improves respiration and increases the rate at which a plant's cell is able to regenerate and repair itself. I haven't finished the paper either

GrowLEDHydro, as is being demonstrated here, doesn't use any IR or UV, all their light is in the visible spectrum (12 different wavelengths)

I'm hoping one of our resident scientists stops by and weighs in on this question. I personally haven't formed a strong opinion on the issue and am still in "watch and learn" mode.

It would be interesting if someone could really bore down to the core mechanism of the plant which was responsible for the desired response so that supplemental IR bandwidth could be narrowly targeted. This is above my pay grade, however I can say that recent developments in bio testing, i.e. 'hole burning' and others, have gone far in specifically identifying the response characteristics of the photosynthetically active mechanisms of the plant. I don't think it is too much of a mystery anymore what wavelengths are 'actually' necessary to fuel photosynthesis with the high horsepower photonic energy required to split water molecules and fix carbon. More interesting now is what smaller wavelength additions are necessary to effect the desired photomorphogenic responses. This is where the inherent efficiency of LED technology could really shine.

Jetting back to US tomorrow to Seattle, hoping to make it to Hempfest- I got two words for that- 'yee' and 'haw'.

Lurker- thanks for the message and the close up shot on the LED package...

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute and reverse your argument for LED die spacing...I have always felt that any light source which had to sit on the canopy (or in close proximity thereof) made daily garden chores a bit cumbersome and that this was a disadvantage to some of the current LED designs out there. This concept would greatly complicate cooling and more elegant cooling systems would have to be designed- maybe your TEC idea could find a home here!!!

Cheers mate. Looking forward to whatever additional info your friend can help provide, a^2...

Interesting ideas there. Have to consider efficiency of the human organism and its propensity to do work in the garden, also... ;) There's a decent middle ground somewhere. We'll have to see some overall improvement in both design and function (and lm/w efficiency) before these become attractive to commercial-level growers, though. No one's going to be replacing their 1000W HPS-s in a 20kW garden with these if they're used to growing 8ft trees. Low maintenance (read: work) and all that..

Or perhaps they'll come to appreciate the efficiency gains that come with a new paradigm shift and adjust their growing style to fit. You'll be able to do a large-scale SOG with these quite well - barring legal considerations based on limiting plant production numbers...

I'm perfectly happy working in gardens with clearance levels Like This; however, I know not everyone feels the same way. Give me something that will just about fill the same profile as a T5 tube fixture for 2'x4' ebb and flows or 2'x2' modular ScrOGs, and I'm happy.

Turns out you can just about do that with the current light boards, if you outfit them properly. More on that later...

Amps 3.02
Volts 119.4
Watts 354 to 358
Power Factor 98

Thanks for the re-test, SS - and buying a new meter for that purpose! You always go the extra mile.

Interesting that both your amps and volts are higher, and watts are in fact lower (than dn's), though. Hmmmm.

GrowLEDHydro, as is being demonstrated here, doesn't use any IR or UV, all their light is in the visible spectrum (12 different wavelengths)...
Hey Soniq. ;) Where did your info on that come from? Looking at the site it says '11 wavelengths'...

Going over the pics posted earlier, here's what I got:

300W_Spectra_LED_Distribution.jpg

Let's be generous and say a couple of wavelengths for both blue and red. The 'White' is being counted as several spectrums here, naturally - which is not inaccurate, it's just not 11 different monochromatic light sources. The purple-looking ones with a 'hole' in the middle seem to be textbook examples of how IR LEDs appear when taken with a camera - unless those are actually violets, which wouldn't make much sense.

I seem to recall having a nice long (2 hour) chat with Andy ('J') several months ago about the state of the LED 'industry' (and other things), and I was under the impression the GLH panel specs had been...shall we say...'discussed' with 420... ;)

I have an opinion, but can't quote provenance...

Knocking down the short-wave UV light is essential for human vision use. LED arrays for growth should be avoiding these spectra.

Doomsday scenarios regarding ozone depletion and resulting UV increases' effect on life of every type seem unanimous: not good.

Bottom line: for more trichomes grow a 'better' strain and don't kill it with UV or IR.

Good general advice, PG. IR is beneficial in the right amount (and photoperiods), but UV should generally be avoided in a panel, for multiple reasons - including user health. Could go into more detail, but it's not really necessary.

Anyone who wants to experiment with UV-B and additional IR in the garden can always get a terrarium (lizard) FL light and clear incandescents, respectively. They're cheap and easy - just like Lindsay Lohan. ;) As long as there's a safety switch or separate circuit on the former so the light is off when you're in the garden.

Nice poems from you guys, BTW: :thumb:

Daedalus' only son
Took a tumble, now he's done
Waxing poetic, in a thread
Reading too much hurts my head!
:surf:

My understanding is that some makers claim UV has detrimental effective and IR has positive effects.

The claims I've read are that IR improves respiration and increases the rate at which a plant's cell is able to regenerate and repair itself. I haven't finished the paper either ;)

That's basically true. At this point there's plenty of knowledge in the literature about general plant reactions regarding all these areas to draw enough conclusions for growing from, and the spectra to use in a panel, if not specifics of some of the molecular transport mechanisms and processes themselves. We don't need to have all the 3D molecular models mapped out and elucidated before using them to grow, if we have the results of the stimuli to draw from.

Here's the short version: (why to use IR)

Some IR is good.

And, Red by itself is good.

IR (Far Red) + Deep Red and Red is better.

And the slightly longer version:

Far red light is a light source that provides light above 730 nm to allow the transfer of electrons to Photosystem I (PSI) and allow the rapid re-oxidation of Photosystem II (PSII).

Why run your car on 6 cylinders when you can run it using all eight?

-----

To quote from knna, just because I like his phrasing:

knna said:
-Absortion of light by chorophills in vivo plants is different of absortion of the pigment alone in a solution, that is how those chlorophill's absortion graphs are calculated. Light absortion is a quantum process, strongly affected by spatial orientation. Plants transport energy obtained by a photon absorbed on a chain of electron jumps, resulting on a estratification of chlorophill pigments into the chlorophill's molecule, with different optimal wavelenght absortion for each. End result is chlorophils in vivo being able to absorb along a way wider range than on lab conditions, and at different efficacies.

Outside of Chlorophyll A and B, there are also accessory pigments that absorb light in a multitude of wavelengths (including green and yellow), do biochemical 'work' / pass an electron, and then emit (fluoresce) light in a lower wavelength - some of which is then absorbed and used by the next molecule in the chain. Kinda like regenerative braking in an electric car. Waste not, want not. Plants are pretty cool, no?...

(Overall quantum efficiency in the electron transport chain is about 90%! That's pretty damn good.)

From 3-9% of the light energy absorbed by chlorophyll pigments is then re-emitted as fluorescence (mostly by PII), and can be measured by a portable fluorometer. In fact:

Factors such as light levels, light quality, water availability, nutrient availability, heat, cold, herbicides, pesticides, pollution, heavy metals, disease, and genetic make up can all have an impact on CO2 assimilation, plant health and condition. They also are reflected in the fluorescence signal in PSII. Therefore, by using a chlorophyll fluorometer one can quantify the impact of these factors on plants to improve breeding and production programs, and to better understand plant functions.

There've been a lot of good studies in the past 15-20 years or so that have done just that. They were doing them before that too, but the tools (like using LED monochromatic light sources instead of incandescent lights through gel filters, improved spectroscopy, mapping of molecules at the near-quantum level, etc.) and knowledge base has increased since then.
-----------

Believe me, that was the short version.

Where's the Doc when we need him! :)

Speaking of killing things, I got the LED panel too close to the VK girls and got some bleaching on some of the buds closest to the light...

Sorry to hear that. I'd expect that to happen a bit farther away with these panels too, esp. with the amount of high-energy blue LEDs in them. Don't need nearly half that much - more ain't always better. At least we understand what bleaching is and why it occurs with these...

It would be interesting if someone could really bore down to the core mechanism of the plant which was responsible for the desired response so that supplemental IR bandwidth could be narrowly targeted. This is above my pay grade, however I can say that recent developments in bio testing, i.e. 'hole burning' and others, have gone far in specifically identifying the response characteristics of the photosynthetically active mechanisms of the plant. I don't think it is too much of a mystery anymore what wavelengths are 'actually' necessary to fuel photosynthesis with the high horsepower photonic energy required to split water molecules and fix carbon. More interesting now is what smaller wavelength additions are necessary to effect the desired photomorphogenic responses. This is where the inherent efficiency of LED technology could really shine.

Jetting back to US tomorrow to Seattle, hoping to make it to Hempfest- I got two words for that- 'yee' and 'haw'.

True dat. You don't need the more invasive laser spectroscopy methods to measure what wavelengths work - adding monochromatic light sources at different flux densities and measuring fluorescence of the system with and without will tell you how efficient they are in the overall chain of things.

As to photomorphology - a topic for another time, perhaps.

(Hey dogsnova - ever do those crazy-ass far-red Martian lighting cycle tests in your garden? Where's the thread? We want pics, man!) ;)

Have fun back in the USA, astro! Nice to take a break every now and then.

Cheers,

-TL

SS Sorry to hear about your problems my friend! Have you had issues with the plugs doing this in the past? I have always debated whether to put the plug into the medium so the medium covers the entire plug, or to leave a bit hanging up into the medium.

Just started using the Rapid Rooters recently to germinate my seeds, so have very little experience with them. I like them for germination because they stay moist yet haven't caused any damping off problems with young sprouts, but with older plants, it's obviously important to avoid watering near the stem, which is a good thing to do anyways, plugs or not.

I love my bio-dome and my starting plugs, as I have found a way to clone them 100% and rooted in a week with those things! I used to get fungus in them. Lots of careful watch and attention needs to be paid to that shit, it is just too easy to overlook...I feel your pain SS. Not saying you have done anything wrong!!! By all means, you are a highly respected grower on these forums!

The stem rot was a direct result of me watering too near the stem, and the RR absorbing and holding the water against the stem. Then when the bottom fan leaves drooped down, it created a very humid "tent" around the stem and worsened the issue.

I've been able to water fairly close to the stems in the past, because soil drains better than the spongy RR, but just have to modify things when I use the RR's.

What is the plan? You going to try to save it? How can we prevent issues such as this? Was it a fluke?

The plan is to try to save her by applying H2O2 to the rotted area and having a fan blowing to dry things out down there.

If she looks like she isn't going to make it, I'll take as many cuttings as I can from her and see if I can root them.

Sorry for all the random questions! Just soaking it all up my friends...

no problem brother, very good questions!

now it makes more sense, i was thinking the Harbor freight meter might be off.

Not sure which of the two is off, but as long as we're using the same one, we can compare notes.

I suspect the HF meter is less accurate, but would need a standardized meter to determine that.

If I was gonna sell one on ebay, it would be the HF ;).

Kick ass SS.. Now I feel a lot better...

good deal bro, glad we got that sorted ;)

He's set his controls for the heart of the sun, Sun.:yummy:

;)

Back
Top Bottom