300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

re: GrowLEDHydro 300W LED vs. 400W HID Demonstration

bmarduk

That's exactly why I use PPF!

Are you using a meter or interpolating off MFR spec sheets or what? If you are using a meter can I ask which make/ model? Maybe like to check it out.

Irishboy asked:

are the HPS girls "praying for mag"? or any idea why the leafs are sticking up like that?

something else I just thought of is that remember how we talked about the HID leaves being thinner than the LED plants?

I would think that with equal turgidity, or amount of water pressure in the plant cells, the thinner and lighter the leaf, the higher the angle it's going to stick up. The LED plants might be just as happy, but heavier foliage takes more pressure to lift.

sorry if you posted this but how tall were these girls when you LST'ed them? how long did you leave them LST'ed before flowering and whats the total hight on the leds girls?

They were approx 14-16" when I LST'ed them. I usually wait a week to flip after LST, but this strain said thank you and bushed out in 1-2 days, so I flipped them just 2 days after I LST'ed them.

I'll number all the plants and get total heights when I harvest them, so if you can hold on a few more days, I'll post that info.

thanks Irish!

SS... Couple questions regarding the 300 spectra and your tent size.

How well does it cover, and at what footprint have you been using. I mean what distance from the plants. Also, will you reiterate your ventilation setup for me as well.

Also, a place where to buy a tent, we discussed this before a while back, but I cannot find the information. I had a zipper break on my homebox seconds 2x2 tent...very disappointing indeed...

Seeking another 30x30 tent, but no higher than 64" as that is my max height anyhow. on that same note the tents must be able to vent out the side, via 6" duct.

Sorry for the thread jammer!

-Go

Irishboy asked:

something else I just thought of is that remember how we talked about the HID leaves being thinner than the LED plants?

I would think that with equal turgidity, or amount of water pressure in the plant cells, the thinner and lighter the leaf, the higher the angle it's going to stick up. The LED plants might be just as happy, but heavier foliage takes more pressure to lift.

They were approx 14-16" when I LST'ed them. I usually wait a week to flip after LST, but this strain said thank you and bushed out in 1-2 days, so I flipped them just 2 days after I LST'ed them.

I'll number all the plants and get total heights when I harvest them, so if you can hold on a few more days, I'll post that info.

thanks Irish!

i was just wondering about the HID plants because you remember on my last grow my leaves were sticking straight up like that and we couldn't figure it out. at that time my girls were healthy as hell. i was thinking it was just the heat on my last grow, but they just seemed so happy like they were waving thank you to me.lol.

My Casey Jones are loving the LST. i will give them maybe a week tied down before flowering. but they too right to it from the looks of things. My Jack Heres might not make it to LST time their not looking to well.

what light hight did you start ur clones out when 1st trans planting??? and what height during the rest of the stages with the leds?

thanks for answering all my questions. :thanks:

i was just wondering about the HID plants because you remember on my last grow my leaves were sticking straight up like that and we couldn't figure it out. at that time my girls were healthy as hell. i was thinking it was just the heat on my last grow, but they just seemed so happy like they were waving thank you to me.lol.

I've seen them do that before and it looks funny as hell.

The few times I've seen it, it seemed to happen after being watered. I read somewhere, don't ask me to cite it because I can't remember where, that to plants, being watered means it's raining, so they sometimes cup their leaves up like that to trap and absorb as much water as possible.

My Casey Jones are loving the LST. i will give them maybe a week tied down before flowering. but they too right to it from the looks of things. My Jack Heres might not make it to LST time their not looking to well.

I hope they recover bro. Those are both great strains.

what light hight did you start ur clones out when 1st trans planting???

I had it at 30" for 3-4 days.

and what height during the rest of the stages with the leds?

then dropped it down to 28" for 2-3 days, then 26"and basically followed that pattern until I got down to 19" or so. At that height, canopy temps were approaching 80, so I kept the light at that height until that larger 9" circulation fan pointing at the light allowed me to drop it down to 17", and then even 15" with 78 degree canopy temps.

At 15", coverage was no problem, but I didn't want to take a chance on burning off the good stuff, so I played around with it between 16-17" for most of bloom until present.

I know I'm a gadget freak, but the IR thermometer is a bitchen thang. You don't *have* to have one if you know what heat stress looks like, but I'd rather prevent it than recognize it. I start to notice mild heat stress at 80, so I'm good at 78. Once I got that light height dialed in, it was very stable once the plants stopped stretching.

thanks for answering all my questions. :thanks:

you're welcome ;)

SS... Couple questions regarding the 300 spectra and your tent size.

How well does it cover, and at what footprint have you been using. I mean what distance from the plants. Also, will you reiterate your ventilation setup for me as well.

My 30" x 30" DR80 tent matches the Spectra 300's core saturation area almost perfectly, and from what I've seen on this grow, that's a very accurate spec.

Dude, look at the plants in that tent, that's good coverage and penetration right there ;). The buds near the walls and the midsections of the plants developed very well.

With the 90 degree lens angle, coverage is literally wall to wall and intensity is obviously not a problem. I learned all about it's intensity on my last grow when I bleached some buds with it.

Ventilation setup is an HTG 4" carbon filter mounted at the top of the tent, and then a short run of semi-rigid 4" duct going to an S&P TD-100X 4" exhaust fan on the top of the tent.

For circulation, I had a 4" fan on the ground blowing straight up at the light, and then later switched to a 9" positioned the same way. I also removed any fan leaves that blocked the airflow from the fan to the light, so I kept about a 10-12" clear path to the light in the center.

Also, a place where to buy a tent, we discussed this before a while back, but I cannot find the information. I had a zipper break on my homebox seconds 2x2 tent...very disappointing indeed...

Greners has good prices and service.

Seeking another 30x30 tent, but no higher than 64" as that is my max height anyhow. on that same note the tents must be able to vent out the side, via 6" duct.

My tents are exactly that size, but the ports for ducts are only 5", as the tent is really designed for a 250w HID light. Running a 400w HID in a DR80 is sort of like stuffing a chevy V8 into a ford pinto, lol.

In any case, I've heard of a couple of peeps who managed to fanagle the 6" duct through the 5" hole, but it didn't sound like much fun, so be sure that if you need a tent that size, it has ports that will accommodate the size duct you want to use.

Sorry for the thread jammer!

-Go

no problem bro, glad to help ;)

when you harvest are you are going to keep the two tents respective plants separate to compare dry weights?

Thinker you won't believe what he dose as far as keeping them separate.. lol... Stick around, his harvest report is one to behold...

was talking to bel the other night, and I decided to not do the harvest index, in which I weigh the complete plant after chopping, because that's really only useful if you're doing serial grows with the same strain and environment, and want to dial things in for the best bud/waste ratio.

Since I have no plans to do even the same grow twice in a row for a while, that's not useful to me.

So, this is the plan on chop day:

trim all fan leaves off and take pics of naked buds so we can see any difference in plant and/or bud structure.

hanging plants whole doesn't work good here because the RH is high and they take forever to dry, so I'll separate all the colas and buds, trim and manicure them, and then put them to dry in my drying rack, which has 8 sections so I can keep each plant separated for weighing individually.

take some root ball pics

I may do a wet weight on harvest day, not sure, but probably will.

dry weights to follow when they're ready

dats the plan!

thanks thinkerr, and thank you dogs

please do wet weights
if the hid girls drink more do they lose more weight in drying as well?

thanks for a great journal

I'll do my best dogs ;)

I turned the lights off on the HID plants today, so they're in the dark until I harvest them on Thursday.

I checked trichs on them last night, and they were mostly all cloudy with rare amber, so that's where I want them.

Planning on harvesting the LED plants over the weekend, so I'll turn the lights off on them Thursday when I harvest the HID tent.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:slide::slide::slide:

Id sure love to hear/see how your fingers and scissors look after trimming each tent. if possible.

whats the point of keeping them in the dark?

im guessing cause light degrades thc and the extra two days in the dark will get rid of moisture in the plant that would otherwise increase the drying time. this way the water is naturally excreted from the plant through transpiration? compared to the unnatural osmosis that occurs when the plant is cut and hung in the air?

It's claimed that since it stops photosynthesis, it reduces the amount of chlorophyll in the harvested buds by some amount and sort of gives you a little head start on curing.

sounds feasible, and won't hurt anything, so why not?

I'm going to continue running my exhaust and circulation fans to prevent mold.

I'll do my best dogs ;)

I turned the lights off on the HID plants today, so they're in the dark until I harvest them on Thursday.

I checked trichs on them last night, and they were mostly all cloudy with rare amber, so that's where I want them.

Planning on harvesting the LED plants over the weekend, so I'll turn the lights off on them Thursday when I harvest the HID tent.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:slide::slide::slide:

This is funny... My LED girls finished faster then my HID girls did (by aprox 5 days).. Your's are opposite...lol.. I get a cal/mag deficiency with my LED girls not my HID girls.. And sure enough you got a cal/mag deficiency with your HID girls and not so much with your LED girls...lol... Just shows how different these girls can be..

It's claimed that since it stops photosynthesis, it reduces the amount of chlorophyll in the harvested buds by some amount and sort of gives you a little head start on curing.

I do know that the darkness spectrum is faster (as far as internal clock speed is concerned) then when the full spectrum lights are on.. So yeah a couple of days with darkness only will speed up the internal clock... It only works for aprox 48hrs then it starts to hurt the girls just incase you didn't know...

SS I no this is kinda off topic. But you should try clear incandescent light bulbs (only) the last few days and see what that dose.. It brings out the sparkle quite a bit..

Clear Incs are mostly far red so it's lot's of speed for the internal clock wile still providing some blue light for final photosynthesis... Just a thought.. IMO it works better then 48 hrs of darkness.. But that's just me..

Can't wait for final weight and smoke report..

I'm going to continue running my exhaust and circulation fans to prevent mold.

i do it and notice and better end product as far as clean white ash in the pipe. roots dont take up food at night but release it into the medium. well from tons of things ive read, but my buds smoke great every time i do this. ive tried it both ways and the dark time one for 36hrs was always better and cleaner ash.

Back
Top Bottom