315Watt CMH Lighting: Specs, Coverage, Pics

Do you think CMH is a viable alternative to LED?

• Yes

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I need to read more.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Isn't a Poll a sheep.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Lowrider72

Hey guys,

Just doing Thread on 315w CMH lighting, for those interested in it, or finding out about it.

Firstly.... CMH- CERAMIC METAL HALIDE , or LEC- LIGHT EMITTING CERAMIC.

It looks an old school MH or HPS digital ballast and bulb set up.....

But its a WHOLE different ball park!

I use a Lucius Recom 315w CMH Broad reflector kit.
Unbox, hang, globe in, plug in....light.
They also do a Focal reflector kit.
Im not pushing this brand, plenty of good companies making CMH and also the double 315-630w cmh and the 630w de , like Gavita, Nanolux, Hi-par etc.
Im just doing it with my info because they all are much of a muchness and it seems to bulb-shade dependant more than the ballasts.

Bit of Info on CMH and Terms explained....

Right, these lights were developed for horticultural growing and even the 3200K Indoor Sun will Veg unlike anything you have seen, strong thick health plants, no scraggliness.
There is reason for this... 1.57PPF-Watt and Max PPF 550umol-s
Its a digital square wave ballast with built in ignition delay. Efficiency 93%.

315w CMH Specs and Light pics....

I use the 3200K globe (34500lumen) at 87% CRI, which is the closest to sunlight index, the 4200K globes(32000lumen) are 97% CRI, which is closer, but 2500 lumen lower.... Personal choice as the 3200K are the best in Flower and the Veg is SOOO good the other is unnecessary.

The globes output a good amount of UVA and UVB that helps boost resin and trichome production, as well as essential oils.

Coverage..... Real World Figures....

I have heard it....315wcmh is equal to a 1000w hps...Myth.
I know for a fact it can keep up with a 600w hps, same coverage and quality wise destroy it. In fact the lower buds are soo good and compact, even when small you want to keep them.
The punch is impressive for 315w.
Thats LED power....HPS performance +...
No brainer for me.

Teaser pics....
2 x Lucius Recom 315w CMH Kits...
Mid Week 5 , half way through flower, No PK, in 2 gallon pots, in coco.....
Results.....

I expect great things to come from these lights. Study the charts above, but in a 4' x 4' area...watt for watt, I think you will find the 315w CMH hard to go past.

Grow well Everyone.

Lowrider72.
:ganjamon:

Oh, I also meant to add....
, if you want CMH info, want to drop some pics of CMH plants, pretty much anything CMH related, you can feel free to join in....
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who dont ask questions.....
:ganjamon:

Now theres no point looking at lights and not knowing the spectrum right?
I mean, you want to know how much bang you get for your buck....
In another thread it was discussed the importance of green light and that part of the spectrum....

Here is a 600w Dual Spectrum HPS bulb spectrum specs.....

Here is the 315w CMH bulb spectrum specs.....
Notice the massive holes in the HPS spectrum, that will be mostly true with MH as well...this is why CMH pump plants.
You need close to the full spectrum to mimic nature, otherwise they are never truely happy.

That shows the gap full spectrum lights fill. And at half the wattage of the 600w hps, covering the same area, for better quality.

These are the globes I use at the moment but after they are ready to go, will change out for the Philips Version.

Note the small size of the globe compared to 600w HPS...
There is usually a glass shroud on globe, this one broke, lock ring was siezed. Just to show internals.

Off for Joint.:ganjamon:

Lowrider72

I’ve been looking at CMH for a couple years. Lots of enticing comments from users.
But- whether true or not, some mainstream sites on the net continue to tell me that everything else aside CMH somehow isn’t as well tailored to flowering as some of the other options and will give inferior buds to LED or HPS.
Flowering is obviously where the action is. Anything can veg plants. I wantz budz !

Hey Weazlecracker,
Thanks for joining in. :goodjob:
I know what you mean mate. I grew under MH-HPS for years...maybe 15+.
They were the Bom.
My favourite is 600w Son T Pia globes.. Kick arse!
In my signiture is a link to my grow, Im half way thru flower.

I bet not only will I blitz the lazy 0.8g per watt I used to get under a 600w hps, I will do it with almost 50% less power.
The plants are happier, less problems all round. Its the Spectrum.
Put a 630w CMH over a 600w HPS covered area would be like 1200w HPS in comparison, and heaps less heat.
I run my fan at 1/4 speed if that...its pathetic.... Lol.

Ok heres some pics of some White Widow and Peyote Critical I have in , it is End of Week 5 since flip.
These are in 2 gallon pots of 70/30 coco, Natural un trimmed-trained canopy. Just grows like that under these CMH.
Chucked some bud pics in, even though I havent got started yet...hehe.

I have showed size of plants to give proportion and depth to fully forming budsites from top of canopy.

LR72.

Not trying to playing devils advocate here- I want CMH to be good, so I can go buy some. This is just something I keep bumping into.
For example-

CMH bulbs are very good at flowering, especially those with a warmer color spectrum (around 3000K), like the Philips 3100K bulb we recommend. That said, HPS bulbs are better, since they contain even more red spectrum light.Apr 1, 2019”

The current Wikipedia entry for CMH.

Wikapedia suck. Lol.
If you check the spectrums above you will find the reds are fine.
A lot of these tests were done when idiots claimed 1 315w CMH wasvequal to a 1000w hps, which is,rubbish.
A 315 Cmh can keep up with a 600w for half the powerbill though. At at least 1g per watt for a newcomer like me, last grow.
Like the newer full spectrum LEDS, they work better because of the other parts of the spectrum that were lacking being now present.
Honestly, the lights make me look a better grower than I am.

It’s not just Wikipedia. It’s all over. Here’s the CMH info from over on the GWE site- usually a source of solid info .

“ Unfortunately, LEC grow lights don’t quite get the same yields as HPS grow lights of similar wattage when used as the primary light in the flowering stage. However, they do get significantly higher yields than a similar wattage Metal Halide bulb would get in the flowering stage...”

It’s not just Wikipedia. It’s all over. Here’s the CMH info from over on the GWE site- usually a source of solid info .

“ Unfortunately, LEC grow lights don’t quite get the same yields as HPS grow lights of similar wattage when used as the primary light in the flowering stage. However, they do get significantly higher yields than a similar wattage Metal Halide bulb would get in the flowering stage...”
Thats complete rubbish, sorry, aimed at them, not you mate.
I didnt realize that crap existed.

I did slightly over 1g per watt under 1 CMH 315wer, 4 x G13 haze plants 50cm high in coco pots , 1 Gallon! In 35C summer. My first grow with it.

Only have to get 315g...
I think they either got their figures wrong or did something.... I will yield at LEAST a pound and a half...easy...from 615w...
Be suprised if it didnt go 2 pound.

You tell those boys to tune in and learn.
Watt for Watt it will blitz HPS.
If they put a 630w CMH up against a 600w HPS, it would destroy it.

I'll be using a Lumatek 315w ballast with a Phillips 3200K in 2 or 3 weeks on a Green House Seeds White Rhino fem, which is under 3 Sunblaster T5's at the moment. I soaked this on the 27th and planted on 28th. I want to get the roots abundant by air pruning before putting in the tank and scrogging , so I'm hand watering at the moment. My light will be vertical in an 8ocm white parabolic. reflector. I'll pop a picture in here of the result at the end.

White Rhino 7 days.jpg

Nice YellowBelly! Welcome to the 315w CMH Club.:goodjob:

Your going to love it, and you got the best globe on the market.
Vert bulbs work very well with these CMH ballasts in proper reflectors.

I cant wait to see the look on your face when they explode in Veg....hahaha.
Then Flower... You used 600hps before same as me. Buds dont lose the thickness lower down in flower, it will mess with your head, tiny nug buds. Lol
And how healthy they look in general.

Honestly think you made a great decision. Plants love it sooo much, leaves are always up wanting more..

Nice YellowBelly! Welcome to the 315w CMH Club.:goodjob:

Your going to love it, and you got the best globe on the market.
Vert bulbs work very well with these CMH ballasts in proper reflectors.

I cant wait to see the look on your face when they explode in Veg....hahaha.
Then Flower... You used 600hps before same as me. Buds dont lose the thickness lower down in flower, it will mess with your head, tiny nug buds. Lol
And how healthy they look in general.

Honestly think you made a great decision. Plants love it sooo much, leaves are always up wanting more..
I can't see Philips developing this light style if it didn't offer something more. I was ultimately sold on the spectrum distribution of the 3200K and increased efficiency for the power drawn. This grow is going to be a 4-way scrog, which will slow things down initially I think.

I can't see Philips developing this light style if it didn't offer something more. I was ultimately sold on the spectrum distribution of the 3200K and increased efficiency for the power drawn. This grow is going to be a 4-way scrog, which will slow things down initially I think.
Thats exactly it Yellowbelly. Philips do full spectrum LED or CMH now because thats what the industry wants.

Spectrum is soo nice. I couldnt believe it when the 315w CMH took my seedlings to ready to flip at just 4 weeks....they were killing it....and thats the 3200K. Lol
Flower has been almost too easy...bet it wont be now...now we gonna see how hard I can push them under these lights for the final 4 Weeks flower and then flush....
Link below in my signiture...if you want to tune in...

Go CMH!

Ok heres some pics of some White Widow and Peyote Critical I have in , it is End of Week 5 since flip.
These are in 2 gallon pots of 70/30 coco, Natural un trimmed-trained canopy. Just grows like that under these CMH.
Chucked some bud pics in, even though I havent got started yet...hehe.

I have showed size of plants to give proportion and depth to fully forming budsites from top of canopy.

LR72.
Really nice @Lowrider72
But nothing compares to a saturated Quantum setup :p (jk)
Eye candy at week 5 Girl Scout cookies

Really nice @Lowrider72
But nothing compares to a saturated Quantum setup :p (jk)
Eye candy at week 5 Girl Scout cookies

Nice buds mate. That GSC is a killer frosty strain. Quantums are pretty good, seen some decent grows.
How many watts of quantum and what size area?
Can you cover 4' x 4' in Flower with less than 315w? Its about weighing all that up.
Not knockin ya smoko but...mmmmm....
lol

i looked at cmh
heat and size were main factors steered me away actually
probably a little cheaper to setup than the qbs i got, but there is literally so little heat from the qbs, which in a loft space willbe great in summer, and also they are so shallow, i have massive height troubles so the big chuncky cmh took too much away.
they look real nice though i must say, but id have needed 2 minimum in my flower tent plus another for veg.

The heat is actually a selling point for me. If I used all LED I’d have to go buy electric heaters for my grow - which is totally ass backwards.

a little cheaper to setup than the qbs

Where I’m looking from they seem a lot cheaper. A 315w CMH is $250 Canadian and a 275 watt quantum board is $780 - neither including taxes and shipping.

Ha ha I don’t mean to be the guy in the corner here contradicting things. Different situations and needs. But quantum boards to me like they cost almost three times as much. Cheaper if you DIY parts of them of course- but still expensive as hell.

yeah you may be right there, i cant remember the cost exactly, they defo were cheaper, i may have managed with the heat from the cmh, in the end though it was the size that determined it for me. i think i would have gone that way if they were smaller on the cost factor, i like the look ofthe cmh though for sure and had seen some good looking grows under them when deciding around. from what i managed to find and read, the cmh looked better than hps.

so i went and had a look at the cost, and compared to my cost and worked out the cost watt for watt, its almost bang on 30% cheaper for cmh
lets assume 1 watt of qb led is 100 units 1 watt of cmh is 70 units..

edit
that is for quantum boards already made, only one needed assmbling took 10mins, the others ready to go, and for cmh at the high end of the range; cheaper versions ofc but i went with more expensive for truer comparison

Back
Top Bottom