315Watt CMH Lighting: Specs, Coverage, Pics

Do you think CMH is a viable alternative to LED?

• Yes

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I need to read more.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Isn't a Poll a sheep.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
The heat is actually a selling point for me. If I used all LED I’d have to go buy electric heaters for my grow - which is totally ass backwards.

Where I’m looking from they seem a lot cheaper. A 315w CMH is $250 Canadian and a 275 watt quantum board is $780 - neither including taxes and shipping.

Ha ha I don’t mean to be the guy in the corner here contradicting things. Different situations and needs. But quantum boards to me like they cost almost three times as much. Cheaper if you DIY parts of them of course- but still expensive as hell.
same here CMH was so cool in the winter i needed a electric heater in my grow space... ive had great results with CMH for veg/HPS for flwr

I voted no because the led that I used for my coco experiment is supposed to replace / compete with 315w cmh ..its a Closet case 140w by spectrum king . I used it on that one plant in an area that was half of its rated flowering grind (which is 3x3)and the end result was 150.2 grams (which when multiplied by breeder weight quotes per m2 it met the quota)in the curing jar and I had issues with the grow (bad/old nutes ) for the first 3/4 of it . so I could easily see doubling that number if I grew in the recommended flowering space .

No, that makes sense. You got 5oz off one plant in 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' foot or 45cm x 45cm...... Did you weigh it before drying?
Like to see some pics of that....

I get 4oz off one plant easy with CMH.
Just did over 2 pound or 900g with 630w
in 4' x 8'...full size plants, photoperiod...not autos and untrained.

No, that makes sense. You got 5oz off one plant in 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' foot or 45cm x 45cm...... Did you weigh it before drying?
Like to see some pics of that....

I get 4oz off one plant easy with CMH.
Just did over 2 pound or 900g with 630w
in 4' x 8'...full size plants, photoperiod...not autos and untrained.
No I did not weigh it before drying I never have . I do have pics and it will be my pleasure to share them. I run spectrum king lamps in my main ( the larger ones 402/602) This one I only used to get my seedlings going before this test run I had seven beans sprout and old nutes to use and I didn't want to just kill the plant . Anyway it was scrogged and the grid was about 19"x33" .4m2 the strain is ak47 (generic) listed to produce 350-500 grams per m2. The plant did not fill the whole grid but I calculated its production by the entire grid and it came in at 375 gr per m2 . the branches where dried in a drying basket for do days with a 400 cfm fan and filter pulling air through the tent 24/7. When removed from the branches they where perfect . crisp to the touch and a nice bounce back after a squeeze...gauge was put in the jar and sealed gauge is reading 59%rh. no burping anyway her are some pics of the grow and harvest that I logged for this little test lady . @Lowrider72
IMG_5898.JPG
IMG_5899.JPG
IMG_5902.JPG
IMG_5956.JPG
IMG_5957.JPG
IMG_6021.JPG
IMG_6023.JPG
IMG_6024.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG

I love your light, at 140w getting 5oz.
In aeroponics I take it. .5m x 0.5m.
Thats a good effort.
I do a lil over 4oz in same area from a lil less than 80w.....in coco, no training.

I went 900g in 1.2 x 2.3m tent. 630w.
Do the maths.

If I went DWC or aero I would expect another 2oz, just from that one plant.
Coco is just easier for me.

To me I dont see you doing Sooo much better than my yield.
Looking for 2g per watt next grow with more even canopy....not even using philips globes yet.
Stay tuned.....

How are you feeling today, @Lowrider72 ? I hope well.

Thats a good effort.
I do a lil over 4oz in same area from a lil less than 80w.....in coco, no training.

Do the maths.

Looking for 2g per watt next grow with more even canopy....not even using philips globes yet.
Stay tuned.....
I love the lights and I feel that if I had it in the rated size tent /area I would be at of 2g per watt . But my objective with the test plant was to see how much I could get out of that plant in that little area with that lamp . When I look at yield I also factor in genetics meaning the plants production rating per m2 or sqft. I am happy with what it yielded from that test plant . That little light will get another run as im going to be vegging a mother for a minutes so I can start off with some clones in my main room next round .

To say the least I would have to say that the cc140 is in the same ballpark as the 315cmh consuming less electricity . But like I said that's why I had ticked "No" in the poll.

Thats a good effort.

Do the maths.

Stay tuned.....
What do you use for nutes? And Coco drain to waste or what? Also what is you're ratio in your Coco is like to try and replicate those results! I have the same type of light a 630watt CMH on order

Thats a good effort.

Do the maths.

Stay tuned.....
Also I'm having some pH issues I'm using fox farm ocean Forest atm. I've been watering at 6.3 to 6.5 but my soil is still high six low 7ish

How are you feeling today, @Lowrider72 ? I hope well.
Hey Al, I should be out soon....not sure exactly when. Lol
I love the lights and I feel that if I had it in the rated size tent /area I would be at of 2g per watt . But my objective with the test plant was to see how much I could get out of that plant in that little area with that lamp . When I look at yield I also factor in genetics meaning the plants production rating per m2 or sqft. I am happy with what it yielded from that test plant . That little light will get another run as im going to be vegging a mother for a minutes so I can start off with some clones in my main room next round .

To say the least I would have to say that the cc140 is in the same ballpark as the 315cmh consuming less electricity . But like I said that's why I had ticked "No" in the poll.
Cool, this thread is all about comparison and benefits of CMH. I think that light is doing a great job.
Im always open to new ideas.

What do you use for nutes? And Coco drain to waste or what? Also what is you're ratio in your Coco is like to try and replicate those results! I have the same type of light a 630watt CMH on order
Hey Sloth, House & Garden Cocos A&B
Drain to Waste, 10% run off.
70% Coco 30% perlite.
I use one 315w per 4' x 4', gives me 500 Umols+ over that tent size.

Also I'm having some pH issues I'm using fox farm ocean Forest atm. I've been watering at 6.3 to 6.5 but my soil is still high six low 7ish
Im in coco mate, soil is different Ph...is why it keeps going to ph7. Thats perfect in soil. If plantsclook healthy, just keep going.

Cool, this thread is all about comparison and benefits of CMH. I think that light is doing a great job.

70% Coco 30% perlite.

Im in coco mate, soil is different Ph...is why it keeps going to ph7. Thats perfect in soil. If plantsclook healthy, just keep going.
hey Lowryder , sounds like you are a tad under the weather ...may you be back to normal soon .

In regards to the light I love the brand and style is use ..thank you for the compliment . I just cracked a Charlottes angel by dutch passion to grow for my Dad . Im going to veg her out and take clones(for my main room ) since they told me there are 4 different phenos 2 indica and 2 sativa .. Anyway im thinking of purchasing a 3x3 tent which is the rated flowering area for that little light and scrogging the mother out and flowering her in a grow journal here . If I move forward I will let you know so you can pop in and check things out .

70% Coco 30% perlite.

Thanks for the info I just get a little too worried about em sometimes. And not having all the knowledge yet I always just want to make sure I'm doing right! Feel better soon budd

hey Lowryder , sounds like you are a tad under the weather ...may you be back to normal soon .

In regards to the light I love the brand and style is use ..thank you for the compliment . I just cracked a Charlottes angel by dutch passion to grow for my Dad . Im going to veg her out and take clones(for my main room ) since they told me there are 4 different phenos 2 indica and 2 sativa .. Anyway im thinking of purchasing a 3x3 tent which is the rated flowering area for that little light and scrogging the mother out and flowering her in a grow journal here . If I move forward I will let you know so you can pop in and check things out .
Hey mate, that sounds like plan, if you can go 4' x 4' tent gives a lil room for air circulation.
Im better now after a few changes to medicine that messed me around.
Home sweet home...soon.

Thanks for the info I just get a little too worried about em sometimes. And not having all the knowledge yet I always just want to make sure I'm doing right! Feel better soon budd
Cheers Slothy, always willing to help those willing to learn...internet is full of useless ADVICE. I talk real world growing.

Mine was a challenge to make a Grow, Veg, Clone and Mother room with 2 tents and make total watts used under 900w, including fans etc. Then I can grow for myself and not be getting rid of it..... Or tempted to the dark side of the Canna....
lol.
I will be back soon , better than ever.

Hey mate, that sounds like plan, if you can go 4' x 4' tent gives a lil room for air circulation.
Im better now after a few changes to medicine that messed me around.
Home sweet home...soon.

Cheers Slothy, always willing to help those willing to learn...internet is full of useless ADVICE. I talk real world growing.

Mine was a challenge to make a Grow, Veg, Clone and Mother room with 2 tents and make total watts used under 900w, including fans etc. Then I can grow for myself and not be getting rid of it..... Or tempted to the dark side of the Canna....
lol.
I will be back soon , better than ever.
Good to hear that you will be home soon blazing wax!

As far as going to a bigger tent . I understand your statement ..however I will have a 400cfm max fan ( 3 speed) pulling air through the tent creating plenty of negative pressure . Second it is what the light is rated at and im more than likely just going to have one plant scrogged all the was out To test the lights capabilities , mine and the strain im growing . Most would be two plants scrogged in the 3x3 . Its going to be work in the beginning as every scrogg is .

I veg with a custom 4000k f series 400 watt 4 stripp 1120mm with 480 2100 driver turned all the way down probally using 200 watts and plants cant get enough of it
Screenshot_20191103-200436_Photos.jpg
your using this
Screenshot_20191103-200229_Chrome.jpg
to veg and flower I'm flower an 8x10 with 4 hlg 600 r spces 2.51 umols/s
Screenshot_20191103-200458_Photos.jpg
this is of the 550 v2 my 600 c2 rspecs even better just not omri listed (uninsurable commercially) but cmh was my first choise before I got investor to put up the 3500 for the 4 600s best cmh I've seen is the this has alot of uv and far reds nice to have but not the efficiency of my leds
Screenshot_20191103-200448_Photos.jpg
my plants love my 4000k strips lighrs
Screenshot_20191103-203905_Google.jpg
20191102_150419.jpg
20191102_125612.jpg
I have 4 of those fixtures I made from scratch there 2x4 and ain't no cmh gonna veg like them I promise ... and these lights
20191102_125114.jpg
buds all the way down to the dirt in doing a small plant perpetual
20191029_114103.jpg
and this is a bud off the scrog in 5 weeks from flip it was my mother plant gsc that I decided to scrog .... but I dont think cmh can compete if you have target leds cmh is good start to g
Fi ish but if you got bad ass veg leds ..and bad ass flower leds cmh won't touch it my buddy pushes 1.5g/w on a normal harvest and that was before the rspec craze so I like the cmh much cheaper to start up and start to finish works well but led is better suited to my environment in florida it's hot as hell in summer the leds get hot but cool passively easily hid hoods get hot unless completely sealed and exhausted cool tubes.... which brings the cost right up to the bad ass led range not to mention. If you choose cooling along with exhausting lights ... I stopped making maybe decisions about 5 grand ago and its top if the line here on out I'm so tired if replacing things because I got cooler newer better when it was unavailable in the beginning and I was just hard headed .....led is the future vertucle farming is the future and it is achieved with high efficiency low wattage led small plants with like 8 to 10 inches above stack on top of eachother
Screenshot_20191103-203905_Google.jpg
u aren't able to do that with cmh I'm sorry led is going to render hid obsolete eventually there will be some die hard but led can be so specifically targeted ..
.yes there finding benismfits to photosynthesis to green light but it still pass through for penetration much more then being absorbed by chlorophyll a and b like blues and reds which full spec leds have but the rspecs have a spike in 660 nm which is peak flower boosting so it's hard to argue with science

Attachments

• 20191029_160105.jpg
    20191029_160105.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 145
We grow completely different styles.
You SoG little plants, all same, and want to compare that to my 4-5ft tall plant multi strain grow.....9 plants only.
Im growing and trying to keep a whole flower set up under 800w.

For me its cost per gram...trying to find a no enviromental control, low cost grow method anyone can do relatively cheaply and as fuss free as possible.

Im impressed by full spectrum led set ups coming out lately and the penetration does impress me.
I can get 4200k globes and match your specs at 97% cri.
I am currently using 3100k at cri of only 87%.

LEDs are the future,....until the next best thing. Took a lot to get me to go CMH from HPS, but 630w for 2 pound plus, no fancy training, minimal veg time, one set up and low cost. Uva and Uvb I got in spades as well. Sold.
I only weigh grow to see how much I get for minimal outlay....its my thang....

Dont worry, one day when the CMH give up the ghost, I will be going LED.
As it stands now, I grow in winter, need cmh heat to grow with no enviromental control. Summer I take a few months off, enjoy life.... Hehe.

As it stands now though, CMH are still a viable option.

Great thread @Lowrider72

I am currently in the early stages of a comparison of sorts. Two different styled 315W CMH, and two different types of LED lights

SilverStar Square Hooded vertical unit, ballast unattached to hood.
Vivosun Vertical hood, ballast on unit
2x Phlizon 1200w (252 actual)
Mars Hydro TS-1000 (150w)

Right now I have the SilverStar in the basement in a 3x4x6 tent.
The Phlizon's are also in the basement in another 3x4x6 tent.
TS-1000 is in my bedroom in a 2x4x5 tent.
the Vivosun is yet to be in a full rotation.

I plan on eventually running the same plants through all lights, excluding the TS-1000 during a run of photoperiods.

I'm going with 2 photos, and 3 autos in the SilverStar tent, Blueberry and Gorilla Widow for the photos, and GDPxGumberry, Northern Lights, and a Northern Lights x Big Bud for the autos.

While I am quite fond of LED, I am more than certain I will be falling in love with CMH. After the first initial run, getting used to how things work, I will buy two of the same bulbs to begin the actual comparison. Right now I have the free bulb that came with the SilverStar, and an iPower in the Vivosun.
20191114_104246.jpg
20191114_104255.jpg
PicsArt_10-29-11.51.47.jpg

Great thread @Lowrider72

I am currently in the early stages of a comparison of sorts. Two different styled 315W CMH, and two different types of LED lights

SilverStar Square Hooded vertical unit, ballast unattached to hood.
Vivosun Vertical hood, ballast on unit
2x Phlizon 1200w (252 actual)
Mars Hydro TS-1000 (150w)

Right now I have the SilverStar in the basement in a 3x4x6 tent.
The Phlizon's are also in the basement in another 3x4x6 tent.
TS-1000 is in my bedroom in a 2x4x5 tent.
the Vivosun is yet to be in a full rotation.

I plan on eventually running the same plants through all lights, excluding the TS-1000 during a run of photoperiods.

I'm going with 2 photos, and 3 autos in the SilverStar tent, Blueberry and Gorilla Widow for the photos, and GDPxGumberry, Northern Lights, and a Northern Lights x Big Bud for the autos.

While I am quite fond of LED, I am more than certain I will be falling in love with CMH. After the first initial run, getting used to how things work, I will buy two of the same bulbs to begin the actual comparison. Right now I have the free bulb that came with the SilverStar, and an iPower in the Vivosun.
Thats an awesome comparison set up you have there geo.
Are you just running the autos at 12/12 with the 2 photo plants? Just because I thought autos are supposed to be 18/6 or above.

I am halfway through my first run with CMH, after previously using LED’s, and I am impressed. Stacking harder and with more penetration it seems.

Hey Urbs, they sure do make plants grow healthy. Nice looking bud!

Im still playing with my cmh, trying to find their sweet spot.
I got some focal reflectors so next run should be good.
What tempurature bulbs are you using?
I see good results with ones around 3100K, mine is 3200K.
Was just wondering if people tried the 4000-4200K bulbs all the way through, and what resuls were like compared to my 3200K.

Just harvested....., 2 x 315w CMH,
9 plants in 20L pots, no enviromental controls, 4' x 8' tent....now drying tent..

That be an easy 2 pounds when dry. Got that last time in 10L pots, so should be a bit more than that I hope, for the extra 10L pot size each.

Happy Growing!

Back
Top Bottom