3rd Grow: Amare Tech 450W LED & UVB, 4x4 Tent

I'm looking forward to it too! Because I am creating a wormhole and teleporting your tent to my house. In return I am teleporting my half crushed poor yielding dying Tutankhamon some idiot fell on when inebriated! Good luck!

Hey, can you teleport ME to his house? Will trim for scissorshash ;) .

Hey, Versai, your recent posts have some awesome desktop background image material! You don't mind if I save a few of those images, zoom/crop them so they'll fill my 1366*768 (IIRC) display, and use them for that purpose, do you? I wouldn't mind setting up a rotating set, sort of as... encouragement (IDK, I seem to have been hit by that thing I've heard about called optimism, lol).

The harvest is all dried!

DSC016186.JPG
DSC016219.JPG

and curing well now.

DSC0163810.JPG

Most of the buds were fairly light. Here's an example bud that is 2" long and weighs .7g. Very airy and crushable. Still very frosty tho.

DSC0164014.JPG

Several colas were of fine density. This one is 2.5" long and 1.8g.

DSC0164312.JPG

Lets get a closeup on that...

DSC0164611.JPG

So frosty, sticky and sweet smelling!

S20160609_0018.jpg
S20160609_0009.jpg
S20160609_0020.jpg
S20160609_0021.jpg
S20160609_0023.jpg
S20160609_0025.jpg
S20160609_0029.jpg

Yield was 323g of WWxBB, 53g of Sexbud = 376g total yield.
Panel was drawing ~400w for most of the grow. 376g / 400w = .94 GPW.
400w / 16 square feet = 25w per square foot.
Also got 84g of decarbed trim.

I ended with 12 plants, 1 per square foot. 376g / 12 = 31g average per sq. ft.
I didn't use 4 squares of the tent. But if I would, the yield could potentially be 500g in a 4x4.

Thank you for viewing the journal and for all of the support! I welcome any discussion on these results while I prepare my next grow and shoot for 1 GPW.

timelapse3.gif

Awsome!! Congratulations man and nice job trimming!! .9gpw stoked!
I do have a question for u ... roughly how high above the canopy was the light to get the full 4x4 coverage? This could be where we weigh up efficiency vs outright power to gain density ?

For reference, here's a link to my first harvest with the Mars 1200 and Iced Grapefruit.
First Grow - 3x3' Tent - Soil - Mars 1200W LED

Used the same soil, same nutes, same pot sizes, similar training styles. Not an exact comparison tho because of 3x3 vs 4x4 and the strain difference.

Amare in 4x4, Mars in 3x3
450w with Amare SE, 550w with Mars 1200.
376g with Amare, 420g with Mars.
.94 GPW with Amare, .75 GPW with Mars.
25w per sq. ft. with Amare, 61w per sq. ft. with Mars.
Airy, frosty buds with Amare, Dense fat colas with Mars.
Amare hung at 24", Mars hung at 18" high.

I honestly do not like this strain, I need to find different genetics badly. But all of the strains I've grown are in a similar tier from the same breeder, so they're somewhat comparable. Appearance and smoke wise, I think I enjoyed my Mars grown buds better. I think it is because there was more watts of light on them. I cannot go back and measure the lux or par with tools I don't have, but these are the results I got and my observations so far.

I think it's a stretch to say the SE450 can flower a 4x4 independently. At least not at the density standards I'm used to. I feel like it was the largest single panel Amare had to offer 6 months ago and they wanted to say it can flower a 4x4, and clearly it has. But so could my Mars 1200 if I hung it 6" higher. The Mars may even be able to compete with a higher GPW if I was using it in a 4x4 space with 6 extra plants like I was using the Amare.

I think to flower a 4x4 denser I would need to hang my Amare as close as the Mars was; at 18-20 inches, and accept a smaller footprint. Or add more lighting to increase the watts per sq. ft. "25w per sq. ft. with Amare, 61w per sq. ft. with Mars." The Amare is using less than half the watts per foot than my Mars grow. I know CREE and CoB are good, but they're not 200% better.

So I feel a little misled, like Amare has focused too much on the center umol number to say it's intense enough to cover a 4x4. I would like to see par charts at different heights across the entire recommended 4x4 space. I so badly want a PAR meter. I suspect that 18" is kind of the dropoff height for 5w LED's peak par. The CoB's seem pretty far intensity; but since the panel is only 22" wide, it needs to be 24" above to 'evenly' cover a 4x4 canopy.

The last difference I've noticed between these two fine LED's is the price.
$1,145 for the Amare SE450, $435 for the Mars 1200.
$2.5 per watt of Amare light, 80 cents per watt of Mars light.

SE450 draws 100w less than the 1200 and yields probably about the same 1GPW in a 4x4. So from what I can tell, you're really just saving 100w with the Amare. But the cost difference of the 450 and 1200 is $710. So it would take you 61,000 hours of use to make back the cost in electric efficiency. 14 years of flowering 12/12 lol. Where did the deal go? The only way I could really justify the luxury option is if you have a limited space and limited electricity usage and need to maximize your efficiency of both.

To summarize, the Amare SE450 pros are more efficient power use, fuller spectrum, I believe slightly faster growth and slightly more frosting. Cons are that it's hella expensive and over-rated for a 4x4 so I still need to spend more $$ on more lighting. I'm having a hard time re-justifying the expense when I could buy two Mars 1200's for less and yield twice as much for just $25 extra on the electric bill per month.

I plan to continue with this light in the same space with other strains. Could be that the strain is just bunk, or I'm messing something up, or perhaps just the day temps of 86 degrees F have created more airy buds. I'm like 99% sure I want more watts in a 4x4 tho.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Awsome!! Congratulations man and nice job trimming!! .9gpw stoked!
I do have a question for u ... roughly how high above the canopy was the light to get the full 4x4 coverage? This could be where we weigh up efficiency vs outright power to gain density ?

Thanks bro!

24" above the canopy to cover the 4x4. I believe you're right, the high efficiency seems dependent on large footprints. I'm a believer in CoB efficiency. But 25w per square foot is too low for top shelf density IMO. Needs more power.

How many w per sq. ft. is your DIY flowering?

Right now about 50w per sq.f.

I really like how amare combine cobs and the 5w leds .. early days yet man let those delicious nugs cure a bit, but yeah strains and heat hmm. Dont let it get you disheartened, i think the light did really well imo. I havent seen a 400w hps do that in a 4x4 ;)

The harvest is all dried!

DSC016186.JPG
DSC016219.JPG

and curing well now.

DSC0163810.JPG

Most of the buds were fairly light. Here's an example bud that is 2" long and weighs .7g. Very airy and crushable. Still very frosty tho.

DSC0164014.JPG

Several colas were of fine density. This one is 2.5" long and 1.8g.

DSC0164312.JPG

Lets get a closeup on that...

DSC0164611.JPG

So frosty, sticky and sweet smelling!

S20160609_0018.jpg
S20160609_0009.jpg
S20160609_0020.jpg
S20160609_0021.jpg
S20160609_0023.jpg
S20160609_0025.jpg
S20160609_0029.jpg

Yield was 323g of WWxBB, 53g of Sexbud = 376g total yield.
Panel was drawing ~400w for most of the grow. 376g / 400w = .94 GPW.
400w / 16 square feet = 25w per square foot.
Also got 84g of decarbed trim.

I ended with 12 plants, 1 per square foot. 376g / 12 = 31g average per sq. ft.
I didn't use 4 squares of the tent. But if I would, the yield could potentially be 500g in a 4x4.

Thank you for viewing the journal and for all of the support! I welcome any discussion on these results while I prepare my next grow and shoot for 1 GPW.

timelapse3.gif
Great work man looks a+ in my book how high did u have light?

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using 420

Thanks Jaymu. Light was hung 24" above.

I actually probably still yielded more than my 2nd run which was all seedy. But even if it yields more per watt, what's the point if the higher initial cost will take so many years to recover. I'm not a businessman, but I feel like CoB panels are just a novelty unless they can compete economically with the cheaper panels.

well I was never going to be able to afford those amares anyway but at least now I dont feel like i am missing out so much. I am pretty happy with my Mars Reflector. I havent dialed in my skills enough to even max it out yet so no need in adding another light. I only got a half g per watt last grow. But I think I had my lights too close and nutes wasnt really dialed in. Good to see you at least had a successful harvest. :) thats always a plus :thumb:

Yep, I don't want to sound like I'm whining. Just trying to give a fair, honest review with what I've seen. Still very happy with the light and yield and I actually am limited on space and electricity so it's the price I have to pay if I want to max out. But I may have to go back to cheap panels temporarily until I can afford enough CREE watts to cover my area.

The light is quality but the marketing statement that it can compete with 1000w HPS in a 4x4 is just silly. It covers a 4x4, and the center umol is higher than a 1000 HPS, but besides that I don't think that's a very legit comparison at all. I truly think the correct space for the 450 is in a 3x3, the watts per square foot would have been 44.44, and I expect the nugs would have been a lot denser with the focused energy and still high GPW.

Back
Top Bottom