3x Gelato OG, 1500x800 Tent, 315W LEC/CMH In Veg, 630W In Flower

d42zero

Hi!

About three weeks ago I finished up my second grow, it went great and I really think I got some of the basics dialled in which was my main goal from that one. I ended up just topping 1 gram per watt (1.03), which I'm extremely happy about! You could say I've definitely caught the bug and I'm all primed for another round!

The main thing I'm still not 100% happy with is the way the plants finish in flower, so this grow will focus on two things - increasing light during flower, and proper SCROGging to maximise the quality of the product. I'll be running a 1500x800 tent instead of 1200x1200, which is a slight reduction in space (1.44sqm to 1.13sqm), but due to the shape of the tent I actually feel like I have more usable space. When it comes time to SCROG, I'll be able to easily reach the back of the tent both above and below the canopy, and I think this is going to

I also bought a second 315w Adjust-A-Wings kit identical to my first.. I considered buying a single 630w setup, but that would've meant I'd have to find someone to buy my 315w (not an easy task) and it'd also mean I have to run 630w from seedling all the way to harvest which I'd prefer not to do.

Apart from the tent, the SCROG, and the light, not much will change from the previous grow. Watering and nutes seem to be pretty much dialled so I'll leave those as is, although last grow I went jiffy puck > solo cup > 1gal smart pot > 3gal smart pot... I think I'll skip the 1gal pots this time.

Based on the last grow, the rough timeline for the start of this grow will be:

04/07 - seeds go into wet paper towel
07/07 - transfer to Jiffy pucks
11/07 - transfer to coco in solo cups
18/07 - transfer to 3gal smart pots
25/07 - topping and SCROG training will begin

From there I'll play it by ear, as SCROGging is a new experience for me and I can't really predict what's going to happen! On the upside, the 4-way SCROG tutorial I'm going to use uses a very similar topping schedule to the manifolding method I've used on my last two grows, so nothing really changes apart from the fact that I'll use a screen to control their shape once the manifold is complete, rather than let them climb upwards.

I still haven't fully figured out how I'm going to build my screen, but the timber/eyelet/string screen in that tutorial looks good. I think I'll use either thin dowels or thin square dressed timber rather than 2x4, that's a bit heavy for what we're doing. I''m fairly sure that 12mm dowel or 12mm square dressed sections will be strong enough to hold the plants down, without getting in the way anywhere near as much.

Seeds were put into the paper towel as I was writing this, and the tent is all set up with one light and the exhaust fan running.. I've got the min/max gauge in there so I'll keep an eye on temps for a couple of days in order to decide whether I need to run the heater.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for this run please chime in :)

And awaaaaay we go!

06/07
48hrs since the seeds went into the paper towel, we've got two tadpoles...
20200706_191911.jpg

I won't be too upset if the third one doesn't pop, as my watering system was designed for two plants... I can add a third, but it means I have to start from scratch with all my watering times and stuff. I guess it'd be good practice, but I don't really have time for it right now..

Regardless, I'll prep three Jiffy pucks tonight... I think the two that popped will be ready for the pucks in the morning, the long root is pretty close to 10mm.

I've been running one light at 12/12 and the fan for a couple of days now, night temps are getting down to mid 14s and max is around 22.. little on the low side for me I think. Changing the timer to 18/6 tonight though so we'll see what the readings are tomorrow. The seeds in the pucks will go on the kitchen windowsill for a couple of days so there's still time to figure temps out :)

When I started my first grow I said I just wanted to give it a go for a bit of fun, but I think I might be hooked!

08/07
Third seed didn't pop but I've got two strong babies :)

20200708_181753.jpg

Temps seem to be going ok, currently have lights on from 0400-2200.

06/07
08:00 - min/max 14.4-19.9, 42-55% RH
19:00 - min/max 16.2-21.8, 42-61% RH

07/07
08:00 - min/max 14.8-21.8

08/08
08:00 - min/max 17.0-23.3, 39-71% RH
18:00 - min/max 21.9-22.4, 47-54% RH

I might try running a heater for a night or two and see if that brings the nighttime temps up a little. The babies are on a heat mat and the coco is warm to the touch so I'm not worried about that just yet.

Awesome job man, good looking start to the grow, there is a quad squad thread about quad lining on here that is really helpful, I think that is the training u r talking about,r they feminized seeds?if not I’d try to keep the third around somewhere till u can determine sex

Awesome job man, good looking start to the grow, there is a quad squad thread about quad lining on here that is really helpful, I think that is the training u r talking about,r they feminized seeds?if not I’d try to keep the third around somewhere till u can determine sex

Yep they're feminised :thumb:

I've been mainlining/manifolding for two grows, the 4-way SCROG tutorial I'm using as a guide is very similar to that method but just with a screen to train the plants rather than letting them go up. I decided on that particular method cause it was so close to something I've already done a couple of times :) I think quadlining is sort of like manifolding, just slightly different.. is that right?

Yes that’s right I believe, it just goes a step farther, in making 4 main shoots. I’m gonna put a scrog net up also lol maybe I should check out ur method lol

Can't wait to see what the screen does in addition to the manifolding! I'm really just getting started so I decided to learn one major thing each grow.. first was manifolding, second was auto watering, this one it's the scrog :D I'll build the screen this weekend and will post up photos when I'm done!

10/07
9am:
20200710_092430.jpg

Min-max 16.6-21.8, 56-76% RH

6pm:
20200710_173926.jpg

Min-max 20.9-22.3, 54-59% RH

Currently watering 50ml per plant, twice a day. Didn't have Jiffy pucks so I went with a little Coco in solo cups, actually keen to see the roots grow from nothing!

11/07
9am:
20200711_090833.jpg

6pm:
20200711_175525.jpg

The girl on the right has dropped her seed husk, expect the one on the left will tonight. Nice strong girls :D

Stuffed up min/max so no temps today. Has been pretty stable the past few days, all good.

Added a 150mm oscillating fan about 800mm away from the plants, and set it to point on them full time. Keeping air moving constantly isn't something I've done a good job of in my previous grows, so I think I'll order a couple more little fans and get things really moving in there.

Had a huge tidy up in the room, got my watering system and runoff catchment pretty well sorted.. ventilation is all set with a new filter, and the electrical panel is up on the wall.

I think I'll get to sit back and enjoy the ride for maybe a week or two, then it'll be time to start scrogging!

Looking good,it seems like getting them to germinate and start on there way is the hard part, so good on u lol

Haha I read a lot of people having trouble with germinating but I've had a really good run since I started... out of nine seeds over three grows, seven popped and grew up to become ladies. I had 2/3 success rate with the last two grows (as in, 1 out of 3 didn't germinate), luckily I bought three seeds of each strain as I wasn't sure whether I would do three or two. Two worked out to be easily manageable last grow, and I think two will fit well into the 1500x800 tent.

I'm really looking forward to getting them in the SCROG, I'm super excited to see what difference it makes! I'm aiming for 600g but with only two plants that's a pretty big ask, nearly 11oz per plant... not sure if I can pull it off!

We'll know in a few months lol

13/07
7am:
20200713_070604.jpg

6pm:
20200713_181713.jpg

Let the coco on the right get waaaaaay too dry, not sure what happened there. I may have forgotten to water this morning? New nute mix from today, week 2 of the GH feed chart:

(per litre)
Micro 1ml
Gro 1.3ml
Bloom 0.25ml
CalMag 0.5ml
pH'd to 6.5
final ppm 803

Min-max 16.4-25.6, 41-73% RH

14/07
20200714_174040.jpg

15/07
8am:
20200715_075509.jpg

6pm:
20200715_184019.jpg

16/07
20200716_175333.jpg

Transplanted to 1gal smart pots:
20200716_202823.jpg

Last grow I said I wouldn't use 1gals, but I only had one brick of coco ready and they should've been transplanted a few days ago :( It's all good, two transplants worked fine last time so I'll do it again this time.

I like to test things side-by-side so plant #1 (back) had most of the coco shaken off to expose the roots then put into the new coco, #2 just had the whole plug dropped in. Added a scoop of Great White myco to each new pot, half sprinkled in the hole and half in the nute solution for the next few days.

Min-max 15.5-24.4, 33-74% RH.

17/07
7am:
20200717_070128.jpg

7pm:
20200717_184904.jpg

18/07
20200718_175854.jpg

19/07
20200719_105652.jpg

#1's leaves are developing into some odd shapes, not really sure if this is something to worry about or not but will keep an eye on it. One leaf is a double and actually has two tips which I've never seen before! She's the one that I shook the coco off the roots, so I'm not sure if disturbing the roots had something to do with it or if it's just a pheno or something...

Auto-watering is all set up, mixed up 20l of "Week 3 - Late Growth" from the GH feed chart. The chart is made for autos, I'll keep feeding the "Week 3" mix for the rest of veg.

(per 20 litres)
Micro 26ml
Gro 26ml
Bloom 13ml
CalMag 13ml
Great White Myco - 1 scoop

pH'd to 5.8 (was aiming for 6 :/ )
final ppm 1013

Timer set to water 30sec/2x daily, same as my last grow.

Expecting to do the first topping and install the SCROG next weekend :D

All looks pretty good overall.

I would suggest a couple things
Put your clear solo cups inside the red so cups, roots dont like light.

I would suggest at least trying one plant just using LST (Low Stress Training) instead of topping.
Basically the only difference is you lose the main top and a day of growth by topping.

I usually get between 20 to 36 bud sites per plant just using LST and SCROG.

All looks pretty good overall.

I would suggest a couple things
Put your clear solo cups inside the red so cups, roots dont like light.

I would suggest at least trying one plant just using LST (Low Stress Training) instead of topping.
Basically the only difference is you lose the main top and a day of growth by topping.

I usually get between 20 to 36 bud sites per plant just using LST and SCROG.

Thanks for the tips!

I've already transplanted and those were my last clear solo cups... this is only my third grow so it's been nice to be able to watch what's been happening :) I didn't realise light on roots was an issue, if that's the case I think I'll just go to little black plastic pots instead of red solo cups.. got loads of them for the outside garden already

I topped them last night and only just saw your post today lol. Great idea though, I do love to try things side-by-side though so I might try topping one plant and not the other next grow :)

Building the screen tomorrow I think, if I get time!

Back
Top Bottom