3x3 first grow exhaust fan recommendations: CFM & diameter

CChapp

420 Member
Good evening folks,

I apologize in advance if I've overlooked the results in a search but I figured this would be the most direct answer to my questions. As stated above, I plan on my first indoor grow in the next 2 months. I will be running a 3x3x6 with a HLG 260W QB V2. If I am not mistaken, the HLG will not produce an unmanageable amount of heat, but my exhaust system right now is my main concern. Optimally I want to exhaust the tent to the back side of my house, which means about 30 feet of ducting to the outside port. Here I wouldn't be concerned at all about the sound or potential smell (I do still want to run a filter). I do have a small basement window in the grow tent room, but it exits just beside my front door. So for obvious reasons I would rather it be a fresh air vent to the room than the exhaust port. By doing the math for the cubic area of the tent and multiplying by 3 due to the inefficiency, I left with a bare minimum CFM requirement of 162. My next concern being, if I do have to run a larger CFM system to push the extra distance, how badly will that effect in my tent temps? Would I be better off just subsiding to it being run to the front of my house and looking into as quiet of a fan / exhaust system as possible? What brands / systems or components would you recommend for both quality / sound / power consumption?

Pretty long winded but thanks for weighing in,

Your insight much appreciated.

Chris

Well Chris do you know exacyly how long the duct work for the exhost is going to be? And if you want a cheap way to scrub your exhost, I took somw 6" pvc pipe and cut it about 18 inches put Cat litter inside the tube then put screen over the ends ans I have 6" duct coming out of my grow area with 2 6" inline fans. It works like a charm. At the moment I have a few fans I am gong to get rid of a 6" 435 CFM and a smaller 4" 171 cfm. Both are inline fans do duct work can be used on both sides. If you are interested in them let me know. They are just sitting in my closet gathering dust now. I live in Southern California.

Richie, thank you. I appreciated the offer. I'm in eastern Canada so that postage may be substantial. After reading into Virgins suggestion, it seems their product checks most of my boxes. As I was finishing the original post I almost answered my own question and the words "overthinking" were ringing through the old head. With a quiet system with no odour, I shouldn't have many, if any issues with it being within 10 ft of the entry. Again, your offer and insight is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom