DoctorKush

Genetics: Exodus Cheese

Grow Area: 5x6 bedroom "walk-in" closet

Lighting: (4) 400 HPS Digital Lights w/ Luminex Bulbs

Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest (50/50 FoxFarm/Perlite)

Nutrients: Fox Farm Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, MaxiCrop, Super Thrive

Water: De-chlorinated water

Ventilation: 2,500 CFM Inline fan connected to carbon filter

Cooling: 12,000 BTU portable AC unit

Containers: 3 Gallon round (tapered out from bottom to top) plastic pots w/ drainage holes on the sides close to the bottom of pot.

***Pictures will be posted soon***

I need a bit of advice. Should I purchase Mylar to go up around the exterior of the grow area OR should I just paint a nice coat of quality "flat white" paint? Which do you guys think would be a better option? Please only respond if you know what you're talking about from personal experience. We all have enough crazy advice we get from magazines and random books, I don't need anymore. Thanks!!!

Any experienced electrician/growers out there willing to answer some stupid questions from a novice cultivator?

Hey man, I like the sound of your set up and Ill follow your journal if thats ok. I don't consider myself a master grower, but I don't mess around and give somebody advice that I didn't receive directly from an experienced grower, or that I didn't research and confirm myself.
That being said, I would go with flat white for the walls. Most growers I've seen seem to go with white paint because it is easier to spot bugs and mold on. Both mylar and white are very reflective, both above 90% so there no huge difference there, but paint just seems to be the cheaper, easier alternative. Plus mylar can hinder the quality of pictures which is definently not as important.

I have researched quite a bit of electrical info that I've needed since becoming a grower, and I'm happy to share it with you. If I don't know the answer then I can point you in the direction of someone who definently will.

Goodluck drkush, and get some pics up! ;)

HydroGrow,

Thanks for all of the advice. I figured that a "flat white" paint would work just as well as the mylar. Also, I am going to be taking pictures tonight so I'll post the photos around 9 or 10pm eastern time tonight. Never even though about the fact that "bugs" are easier to see on a flat white wall than a wall covered with mylar. I'm learning something new everyday.

As far as electrical needs go I'm working on my amp budget right now. I'm planning on hooking my grow room to a spare washer/dryer 240v plug that I have available on the other side of the "walk-in"closet (my grow space). I believe that the washer/dryer plug is on it's own 50 AMP breaker but I'm not 100%. I'll be taking a look tonight. Do you think that this sounds like a good idea? Using the spare 240v washer/dryer plug I have to power my grow space?

I have been working on a ton of equations to determine the exact BTU heat output of everything in the closet and the proper portable ac unit to deal with the extra heat. I've also been working on figuring out the proper rated fan with enough CFM to cover my needs.

I'm planning on using a seperate in-line fan to cool the light/expel heat from lights connected to all (4) lights and then a carbon filter in the attic. (i have access to the crawl space in my walk-in closet I use as a grow area). The other fan will be used to expel hot air from the top of the grow area and will also be connected to it's own carbon filter in the attic above the grow area. What do you guys think about this?

Hey doc this sounds like an animal! I'm gonna be following these bitchs if you have the space!

Anyone have any light movers in their grow area? Wondering if that would be a good option for me. 2 400 hps on 2 light rails would reduce my amp draw and reduce the amount of heat in my grow area. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/advice for me in this regard?

The venting sounds good whats the size of the inline fan for the grow space, is the 2,500 cfm fan for the lights loud at all? I cannot imagine. Also, are your ballasts 120/240v switchable? If so I would say use those extra amps if you can get to them safely. You dont need a carbon filter on the exhaust fan for the lights, if it is separate air than the grow room that is, where is your intake?

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom