Quackerking

Question/Problem

I have 1 1000w HPS in a tent with:

1 6" Votex 440cfm fan exhausting through the hood
1 188 CFM fan exhausting from the top of the tent
1 188 CFM fan as an intake at the bottom of the tent
1 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner in the tent

I'm doing a 3x3 flood and drain table set up

It runs at 80 degrees where the plants would sit, too hot, would downgrading to a 400w solve this heat issue? I'd hate to buy another HPS set up and have it run too hot as well. Was really considering a 400-600w Advanced LED.

A big problem with the issue is the height, that the plants are already sitting 3ft above the ground, with only 4 ft left of space, minus the hood and extra space. At floor level its about 70 degrees. Was also thinking about ditching the table, keeping my 1000w, and going back to soil....

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

A 1k light only generates about 3400 BTU of heat. Your A/C should be able to handle the heat even without venting the hood. Not trying to question your ability, but are you sure the A/C is set up correctly?

I have the AC unit sitting in the tent with the exhaust going outside the tent. Its set at the coldest setting and the fan is on high Without the AC, it was running at 100 degrees. To be honest I'm suprised it's so hot in there. I can hold my hand right under the light without any discomfort. I'm taking temps about 35" from the top of the light.

I can post pics of my setup if that would help.

Pics always help.

On the A/C unit, there should be an intake for the condenser for the air that carries the heat away. Is that located inside or outside the tent?

I have the hot air from the AC unit blowing outside the tent.

I got it down to 72 degrees in the tent, I changed my ventilation a bit. Instead of having the fan just pulling through the reflector, I have my carbon filter -> reflector -> fan venting outside the tent.

Now the AC is just venting into the room outside the tent. I'm assuming I cannot vent that outside through a window because of smell correct? I was thinking I could make a contraption out of a garbage bag connected to some ducting that blows the cold air in the tent, that way I can vent the hot AC air outdoors.

Does that make sense?

I have the hot air from the AC unit blowing outside the tent.

I understood that. My question was, where is the air coming from that goes through that coil? Your A/C has two heat exchangers: one side pulls room air in, chills it, and dumps that air back into the room. The other side pulls air from ? and loads it with the heat collected from the first coil, then exhausts this air through a seperate duct. In a window air unit, this second loop is all outside. Its possible your portable pulls air for both coils from the same source.

I got it down to 72 degrees in the tent, I changed my ventilation a bit. Instead of having the fan just pulling through the reflector, I have my carbon filter -> reflector -> fan venting outside the tent.

Sounds good.

Now the AC is just venting into the room outside the tent. I'm assuming I cannot vent that outside through a window because of smell correct? I was thinking I could make a contraption out of a garbage bag connected to some ducting that blows the cold air in the tent, that way I can vent the hot AC air outdoors.

Does that make sense?

You may not need to do that. Just air condition the room the tent is in and vent the heat outside. Let your exhaust setup pull cool room air into the tent through it's light trap. Since you have it filtered now, you could dump the exhaust from your light outdoors and reduce the load on the A/C in the room.

photo_37_3.JPG

its pulling air from the inside

I saw this and started to worry about my up coming set up. I have a 5X5 tent in a spare bedroom, the house is central heat/air, I'll be running a 600W HPS with a 6" vortex fan for cooling the hood and a carbon filter, I thought of running the inline van into the carbon filter with a Y or something and venting under the house or into the attic..am I likely to have heat issues or is it a wait and see kind of thing?

I had a 1k in a 2x4x5 tent with only a 6" fan and it was at 85 rooms ambient temp was around 70 give or take 2 degrees I'm sure you won't have any problems with your 600w but it depends on how you setup your ventilation I.e. How long your ducting will be and how its ran such as bends and such... I pull air through all my hoods...and run duct as short and straight as possible

I had a 1k in a 2x4x5 tent with only a 6" fan and it was at 85 rooms ambient temp was around 70 give or take 2 degrees I'm sure you won't have any problems with your 600w but it depends on how you setup your ventilation I.e. How long your ducting will be and how its ran such as bends and such... I pull air through all my hoods...and run duct as short and straight as possible

A case where shorter is better mmmmm..LOL I hope to have a short run myself, either blow into the attic or under the house

Back
Top Bottom