4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

420-magazine-mobile1875704856.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1360532233.jpg
420-magazine-mobile129120533.jpg

Is 16oz enough? ..

I used a 27 gal tote but you can scale down.

Hey, Rifleman, glad (as always) to see you're still an active member.

I used ~27-gallon totes. And some days they'd transpire pretty much everything - that I poured in first thing in the morning - by the time I got home late at night. But that was a hot environment, lots of healthy airflow, and large plants.

Since the OP is envisioning such a small plant (60 grams), and especially if he keeps the temperature down, a tote of 20+ gallons would probably be overkill. OtOH, lol, it'd extend the time between required maintenance.

Is 16oz enough?

You mean for cup size? When I do DWC, I like to use the biggest red Solo cups I can fine, 24-ounce by preference. I don't bother with a net cup, just put a bazillion quarter-inch holes in the bottom and the bottom half of the cup, and use that. As soon as the first root gets a tip into the solution in your reservoir, your container has effectively become that reservoir, anyway. But when using such a setup, I use a scrog screen, and between the downward force of growing up into that, and the root growth in the cup, my cups always end up destroyed anyway, and I have clay balls in the reservoir when I empty everything at the end of the run.

BtW, if you handle tobacco products and then handle your plants/etc., you can transfer TMV (tobacco mosaic virus) to your plants. It's rare, but it does happen occasionally. I try to avoid the practice, both for that reason and because, well... If there's a cigarette nearby, sooner or later (and probably sooner), I'm going to light it. And smoking (anything) around (any kind of) plants is generally a bad idea because the tar/etc. that makes up the smoke gets on everything - and, in addition to the fact that the chloroplasts just under the top surface of the leaves are their light-energy conversion factories (and, therefore, the tops of the leaves shouldn't have stuff on them all the time), the underside of the leaves have tiny little pores called stomata which the plants use to transpire water. This is their natural climate control mechanism. So I smoke elsewhere. It's most likely not going to kill the plants, but it's not good for them.

I used this 2 to 3 gallon tub for some crown royale. It holds maybe 3 gallons to the rim. Worked really good. Got almost 6 ounces. The roots were packed in and I had to add water almost every day, but still. Cheers
420-magazine-mobile1900784850.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1502724084.jpg
420-magazine-mobile598850963.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1762584539.jpg
Ideal is ideal, but make the most of that you have.
I use that small tote for cloning and starts, works great but i usually go bigger for flower, less ph flux.

Quick question for the community today. I am considering building a box that is 39''T x 22''W x 16''D and using a 300 watt LED for auto grows and vegging photo's.

My question is: Will a 4 gallon tote (16 3/4 x 11 7/8 x 7-Inches) be enough to grow a decent sized plant in? I am only looking to harvest about 60 grams or so out of this setup.
60 grams ? Man u should get way more than that. But you won't get any if your tub isn't blacked out really good . root rot will kick your ass.

Back
Top Bottom