4 Questions

Alec Eifel

So this is my first post asking my first questions about my first grow. I'm sure it wont be my last...

So I got 10 seeds from a friend who drunkenly ordered them online years ago from a Dutch (or maybe Canadian?) seed bank but he didn't remember what strain they were. He only remembered that they were very expensive and feminized. He thinks anyway. I tried to start all ten but only 1 took, but it seems to be doing fairly well so far. So...my first question....

Does anyone have any idea what the strain may be? I know you cant really tell by looking, but a guess perhaps? It seems like a shorter bushier variety. It's been vegging for about 5 weeks 24/0. Looks lush but short.

Second question is....is it female? I suspect it is. I'd love some confirmation.

Third question....is it starting to flower?

And hell, lets go for 4.... Should I be pruning it? All of the posts I've read and viedos I've watched talk about pruning as you enter flowering. Are you supposed to prune during veg?

OK, I'll stop there. Any help for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_171719.JPG

IMG_171615.JPG

IMG_171815.JPG

IMG_171411.JPG

IMG_171314.JPG

Question 1- it's impossible to tell what strain it is.

Question 2- can't tell yet. Either flip to 12/12 to find out or wait a while longer. Do you see any white hairs popping out from the nodes? That'll be your female indicator.

Question 3- it won't start flowering till you flip to 12/12, which you can do at anytime

Question 4- you can prune or defoliate in veg and flower. Some people feel strongly against it, some people swear by it. My sour sky grow was defoliated a lot, especially right before flower and a couple times during. And it's turning out pretty great. It's all personal preference.

And don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, it's how we learn. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

For question 1, most strains now are hybrids. It's rare to see a pure Sativa or pure Indica. But my guess is that your strain might be Indica dominant due to its shorter stature, bushy appearance, and wider leaves. Sativas are typically tall and lanky, with thinner leaves. But to tell the exact strain as Peyton said would be virtually impossible.

Question 2: Just to add a little information for you..What you see there are stipules. You'll need to see a calyx or pollen sac to determine sex. LINK! This will show you the differences between male and female

Question 3 I agree with Peyton, and Question 4 I don't know enough to add anything else on that topic yet :)

thanks for the responses. very helpful.

Since it hast shown its sex yet i should obviously wait to switch to 12/12, right? i would have thought that would have happened by now. any idea how long that'll take?

peyton, saw your sour sky hempy grow, looks awesome. all that off of one plant. impressive. i should have done the same, or maybe that's a bit ambitious for first grow? i assume it's to late to make it into a SOG grow?

Well you have an unknown strain, so it could be an Auto too, but at 5 weeks and having no preflowers I think is pretty rare for an Auto, but a slim chance...

You won't see sex until after you switch to 12/12. And even then it takes some time to flower. If I remember correctly it can take 1-3 weeks to flower after you switch to 12/12.

You can also take one branch, and put a small paper bag on it carefully for 12 hours of darkness, 12 hours of light, and that will force just that branch into flower while the rest of the plant still vegs.

thanks for the responses. very helpful.

Since it hast shown its sex yet i should obviously wait to switch to 12/12, right? i would have thought that would have happened by now. any idea how long that'll take?

peyton, saw your sour sky hempy grow, looks awesome. all that off of one plant. impressive. i should have done the same, or maybe that's a bit ambitious for first grow? i assume it's to late to make it into a SOG grow?

I only topped it once, and trained it flat. It was easy. And I didn't put the scrog screen over it till I started flowering.

And your plants are still young enough that you can train it flat like I did. It's my first grow, and I pulled it off so far, so there's no reason you can't get the same or better results. That's why for second grow I'm jumping straight into fluxing

Before pruning, you can even try some LST (low stress training) and all you really need for that is some yarn, or ribbon and some clips or a way to tie them to the pot. I didn't use thin string/fishing line to avoid cutting into branches as the stem grows wider, to avoid cutting into it. I also didn't train for extended periods of time, 24-48 hours was all I needed to achieve the results I wanted.

Tie a loop in one end of the ribbon/yarn, then put the other end of the ribbon/yarn through the loop and snug it to your branch at about the middle point along the length of the branch, then gently pull downward, and use a clip to hold it in place. You can safely bend the branch about 45 degrees from the main stem. Just pull slowly and you'll feel when the resistance increases.

Doing this will give the plant a wider spread, and will allow more light penetration past the canopy to produce more bud sites below the canopy. You can remove all the ribbon/yarn after about 24 hours and will notice the plant holds most of that position you trained it in, and the ends of the branches start to turn upwards now.

That was my first training project I started with, it's relatively easy, and it's definitely helpful to know when using more advanced techniques like fluxing, as Peyton mentioned.

Thanks for the info gentlemen, its all very helpful. I think I'll give this low stress training a shot. I really don't want to screw this one up being as its the only seed that took. It looks really lonely in a 4x4 tent with big led light over it. i want to order seeds online but am paranoid. On the other hand i'm spending a lot of electricity on one plant, seems like a bit of a waste...

It's surprisingly hard for me to take a really close up picture, but this def a pretty little Pistillate, no? I think it's a girl!

itsagirl1.JPG

Have you changed the lighting schedule, or has it stayed at 24/0? (Most growers use 18/6)

If you kept it at 24/0 with no changes, then yes, I'd say that definitely looks like pistils on the left side of the stem :D

I'd suggest any new grower to start small, with LST, and work up. Whether they had 1 seed take, or 10, it's always best to learn the basics, and move up from there.

Ordering online? No problem. I've read a lot about people having successful deliveries. I've also read about people having seeds seized by customs. I have NEVER read about someone getting in trouble for ordering seeds. At least not the quantity small growers would purchase. I made 3 separate purchases from one of the forum sponsors, and had no issues receiving them, and have had 100% germination rate.

Check out the sponsors first. They're all legit companies that want you coming back as a customer, and by supporting them, you help support the forum. Plus most of them have some really great free seed deals too. Just take your time shopping, there are HUNDREDS of strains available from them, and you will definitely be able to find the right strain for you.

Keep on growing man, it looks great :D

thanks man. no, i haven't changed the light yet. i was under the impression the more light the better so went with 24/0 but am wishing i had gone 18/6. would it have made a difference? should i change change to 12/12 now? I'd like to keep vegging and try and open it up a bit with a little LST but is it too late now that its starting to show its sex?

Back
Top Bottom