400-650g/m2 yielding autos? Fact or fiction?

I've only grown a few autos and i haven't hit close to most of the breeder estimates. That being said the ones i have grown were xxl varieties and were some of the best smoke i have ever sampled, for taste and quality. I am currently growing a second run of Blue Treacle from feminised seed co and while i only pull about 4 ozs from them, it lasts forever because it is a true one hit wonder. So dense with trichomes it looks like a white strain and it smells and tastes like blueberry syrup. I am contemplating getting some more because its something i would always like to have in my stash.
I would never run just autos but i can definitely find a corner for one every other grow or so.
420-magazine-mobile1804610203.jpg

As far as im concerned autos are good for one thing only and thats growing outdoors when you are wanting multiple harvests per year.

They arent faster than photo plants, they dont produce more weed, they need longer light hours hence cost is bigger and they are way more sensative than photo plants.

To get big numbers off anything you need adequate light, minimum 600w of actual power, not made up LED numbers and a good environment. then big numbers become quite a simple thing to achieve with very little practice.

Growing in hydro or coco coir will accelerate growth also.

A typical grow from seed for me would be 12 weeks start to finish and I wouldnt expect anything less than 500grams per square meter barring a complete disaster.

Some people really love autos and get sensitive when I try to tell them they are not as good as photo plants, i dont know why that is. For sure they have a purpose in outdoor grows and can grow some nice weed but you have so much more control over photo plants and cheaper to grow indoors.

I've never grown a photo, but I can say I have developed quite a nice system for autos. I usually run 4 at a time. I will generally chop these 4 on 2-3 different days...ranging between 63 and 77 days from seed to weed. I generally pull 12-13 oz from 4 plants every 77 days or so. You will find A LOT of opinions about autos. My PERSONAL opinion it that you need to have them as massive as they can be by day 21. I spend very little time with mine. I top them, but no LST or other training. I have had a few "freak" grows that pushed the 4oz plus yield, but that is exceptional. There are some really good auto growers on here getting yields much higher than mine but they spend much more time with them. I like to see mine only every few days:)
Another issue is that there is no standard for weighing. After an initial week or so of hanging, I cut all of my buds into small grape sized nugs for cure. There is almost no stem weight left. I can't smoke it, I don't weigh it.
I'm sure that someday I will try to grow a photo indoors. I have grown a couple outdoor and got lucky enough that they were both female. The grows were incredibly easy. Just planted and then harvested 5 months later.

Thank you both for your insight. Very good points about the potential Yeilds of these autos. They definitely leave out how those numbers were generated. So I agree very vague. And thank you for the lighting schedule...I did order a few autos and am going to try a 20/4 for the grow. Hopefully my electric bill doesn't sky rocket. Tough call but looks like I'll give the autos I ordered a shot and I have what I would consider a nice complete setup for growing so I should come close to what the site is claiming..we shall see. Thanks again guys. Keep a grow log for them after I germinate. And include a pic or 2 of my setup. Still waiting on a few projects to arrive including an inline duct fan with a carbon booster. Good stuff and have a great weekend. Thanks again. JR.

Too cut time in my opinion that's worth the decrease in yeild. Good stuff bud. Glad to hear that from you with first hand experience. Thanks again.

you still need to be careful with autos as they are more nutrient sensitive. You have autos so run them out and see how it goes, then run photos after and see what you prefer. I dont understand the to cut time comment though, the fastest you will bring a decent auto down is 10 weeks. I do the same with photo clones and pull 20+ oz per light or 12 weeks from seed. Costs less to grow photos also, especially when using a real light source.

Good luck.

I don't have a great deal of experience with autos (just finished my first) but for my first go at them as well as first time using dwc and LED lighting in a tent measuring only 800mm square I grew this. <snipped image>
She's Bubble Kush from RQS and went for 12 weeks under Mars2 700 on 18/6. I know what works for some doesn't for others, but some results are undeniable...

Austin, I've grown three of the RQS BKA so far. Dry harvest were 185g (potm winner), 323g, and a 54" 344g beast. All in 5 gallon dwc buckets. Yep, results. :)

Look up "DP automazar grow review"

Dude wasn't just blowing smoke 900+ grams off one auto it's crazy what great genetics and a good setup can get you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using 420

Funny you should mention that Rifleman, your first two were my motivation for picking that particular breed. Results indeed! I won't hesitate to grow another .

Look up "DP automazar grow review"

Dude wasn't just blowing smoke 900+ grams off one auto it's crazy what great genetics and a good setup can get you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using 420

Just out of curiousity- does that look like a two pound plant to everyone else here? I find it hard to believe - 900 grams of future dry bud takes up a lot larger space in my flowering room than this plant appears to. Not that I'm a mega high yield grower, and not that I have any reason not to believe 'The King' :adore: whoever he is- it just doesn't seem like all that big of a plant to me.

Maybe I'm just stoned. :lot-o-toke: The first picture does show some very plentiful bud even though it's not that big a plant - and after all, why would The King lie?

At any rate- it's huge for an auto, amd it's obvious that autos are getting better all the time. A real gift for those people whose needs they fit. I wish they were around when I first started growing -they could have saved my ass in all those outdoor grows attempts.

Right on pal. I have everything I need to grow the autos. Second grow. White widow, pineapple Kush, and Carmelicious all autos. Learned a lot from first grow and so much more from this app. Solid people all around. Thx again bud

Back
Top Bottom