400 Watt MH/HPS Light Set For Sale

cmay

Just saw online this kit and was wondering is this one of those ebay deals that is a deal or just a waste of money. I would love for anyone with these light systems to chime in and offer any advice.

400 Watt MH/HPS Grow Light System Set Kit. $89.99

Bundle Package Content:

• [*=left]1x 400W Digital ballast 120/240V (120V CORD INCLUDED)
    [*=left]1x 19" basic wing reflector *Assembly Require* (included)
    [*=left]1x HPS Lamp (included)
    [*=left]1x MH Lamp (included)
    [*=left]1x 120V Mechanic Timer (included)
    [*=left]1x Heavy Duty Rope ratchet (included)
400W Digital Ballast spec:

• [*=left]Automatically converts between HPS and MH Lamps
    [*=left]Support dual voltage 120V/240V
    [*=left]ETL Listed and CE Certified
    [*=left]Built-in cooling fan to run cooler than other digital ballasts
    [*=left]Easy Adjustable Power Settings of 50% 75% 100% and Super Lumen

[*=left]Internal RF Protection
    [*=left]Allows 50 Hertz to 60 Hertz
    [*=left]2 years warranty

400W MH Bulb spec:

• [*=left]Lumens: 38,800LM
    [*=left]Lamp compatibility: Operates on 400W Digital or 400W Magnetic ballast
    [*=left]Color Temperature: 65,00k
    [*=left]Base type: Mogul E39 Base
    [*=left]Color Index: (RA) 65
    [*=left]Frequency (Hz): 60
    [*=left]Life span: 12,000HR
    [*=left]Safety: S51 ANSI SPEC
    [*=left]Bulbs Type: BTY37
    [*=left]Use: Vegging
400W HPS Bulb spec:

• [*=left]Lumens: 55,000 LM
    [*=left]Lamp Compatibility: Operates on 400W Digital or 400W Magnetic ballast
    [*=left]Color Temperature: 2,100K
    [*=left]Base type: Mogul E39 Base
    [*=left]Color Index: (RA): 20
    [*=left]Frequency (Hz): 60
    [*=left]Life Span: 12,000 HR

[*=left]Safety: S51 ANSI SPEC
    [*=left]Bulbs Type: T14.5
    [*=left]Use: Flowering and Fruiting
120V Mechanical Timer spec:

• [*=left]Automated lighting for consistent hours of light
    [*=left]Etl Listed and Certified
    [*=left]Operates on 120V can be used up to a 1000W Ballast
    [*=left]Wattage up to 1725W
    [*=left]15 minute On/Off
    [*=left]15 Amp
Rope Spec:

• [*=left]Maximum weight capacity is 150lbs
19" Basic Wing Reflectors:

• [*=left]Size: 19" x 19" *Assembly Require*
    [*=left]Lamp Compatibility: MH/HPS
    [*=left]Socket type: E39 Mogul Base
    [*=left]Industry Standard S-plug
    [*=left]Pre-installed ceramic socket
    [*=left]15" Heavy duty wire cord
    [*=left]Hangers Included
HID_Kit.jpg

I have a similar system and it works great. Mine is 600W. You'll almost certainly need a fan to pull out heat.
IMO, this kind of system offers the best bang for the buck. Is there better? Sure. Is there better value? Probably not, or not much.

Thanks guys i was just looking into maybe going from led to hps/mh. Was thinking for that price why not give it try to see if i can tell a difference next time around.

how can you tell if one hps or mh set up would cost more then another? Im very new and dont know

If you already have an LED setup of similar wattage, an HPS change isn't an upgrade.

So going from led to this isnt better? I guess led is really what most are using now?

I run almost the same setup...I think mine is an ebay deal also, (picked it up off a friend who never used it).
id be surprised if my hydro bill went up $20 a month.
had to replace the HPS bulb, was blown before I even screwed it in.

So going from led to this isnt better? I guess led is really what most are using now?

It depends on the LED. What are you using?
For example, a MH 300 (135W) is about $60-$65. While a great value in the low end of LEDs setups, there is no way it can compete with a 400W - 600W HPS lamp. So for and extra $25, I think the HPS choice is a no-brainer. But if you have a quality LED pulling 400W, that is what I'd stick with.

I don't actually. Running a mArs hydro reflector 96 right now for two plants. Is that good enough or am losing a lot of yield with that size light?

I don't actually. Running a mArs hydro reflector 96 right now for two plants. Is that good enough or am losing a lot of yield with that size light?

I've not used that model, but at 200W it should be marginal for two plants. If trained right, it will work OK. A 400W or 600W HPS would do a better job, IMO.

See how you do. You'll learn a lot from the experience. Penetration isn't going to be great and you can tell the footprint of an LED pretty easily. As long as you can get the yield you want from that footprint in the top 12", or so, of the canopy, you should be good to go.

I assume that LED uses a whole lot less electricity than the HP. Am I correct, or am I wrong? I Use CFLs because of how much electricity costs here in the frozen North.

How does LED compare with CFLs electricity-wise for the same 400 watt layout?

I assume that LED uses a whole lot less electricity than the HP. Am I correct, or am I wrong? I Use CFLs because of how much electricity costs here in the frozen North.

How does LED compare with CFLs electricity-wise for the same 400 watt layout?

400W is 400W is 400W, no matter what is used for.
I think the eternal question is PAR vs. watts used and $$$ of initial investment vs. total cost of ownership over some long-term period.
Around here (about $0.10 per KWH) I can't justify the added cost of LEDs - especially when I see quite a few crap out in the first year or two. Some of us need more heat. Others don't want one more BTU of heat. No easy answer...at least for me.

As a wild guess, I'd say 250W of (good) LEDs is maybe in the ballpark with a 400W HPS. Don't quote me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

400W is 400W is 400W, no matter what is used for.
I think the eternal question is PAR vs. watts used and $$$ of initial investment vs. total cost of ownership over some long-term period.
Around here (about $0.10 per KWH) I can't justify the added cost of LEDs - especially when I see quite a few crap out in the first year or two. Some of us need more heat. Others don't want one more BTU of heat. No easy answer...at least for me.

As a wild guess, I'd say 250W of (good) LEDs is maybe in the ballpark with a 400W HPS. Don't quote me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I guess I should have been more precise. I was speaking of electrical draw at the socket. 100 watts output CFLs pull 23 Watts of electricity. How much electricity do 100 watts of output from LEDS pull from the socket? That is where the expense of electricity comes in. Since I don't sell, I don't get $ back from my grows.

EDIt: and yes, the heat would be an issue, if LEDs put out more heat than CFLs.

I guess I should have been more precise. I was speaking of electrical draw at the socket. 100 watts output CFLs pull 23 Watts of electricity. How much electricity do 100 watts of output from LEDS pull from the socket? That is where the expense of electricity comes in. Since I don't sell, I don't get $ back from my grows.

When talking about wattage you want to go based off of actual wall draw. If a light Is rated for 100watts but only pulls 25watts, then you got a 25 watt light bulb. So they all pull the same about Of wattage. You never want to go based off rated wattage, you want to go by actual wattage drawl

I don't have any personal experience with hps vs led but from all the research I have done, hps = more yield, led = better quality. From some experienced growers I have talked to, the best set up seems to be hps over head and creed leds on the sides. Again I have no personal experiences, this is just based off opinions and research that I have collected.

The problem is, 100 watt CFLs are not 100 watts. They are trying to compare the amount of light (lumens) you get from a 23W CFL to that of an old 100W incandescent bulb. Some LED manufacturers do the same thing (totally bogus numbers, IMO). For example my MH-300 says it is a 300W LED panel. It actually draws 135-140 watts. Some of that power is lost in the drivers and is used for the fan. LED manufacturers tend to tell you the total of the maximum the LEDs could possibly draw. But for efficiency, they almost always run them at way less - like about half power.

But even comparing lumens does little good since most of the light is of little no no use for our plants. Again, it comes down to PAR (more or less) because that is the best common measurement of the light our plants are able to take advantage of. It does no good to throw a ton of UV or IR spectrums at them. You could have 1000W of light, but if it is in the wrong spectrum(s) it can do more harm than good.

IDK the PAR values of CFLs, and have never seen a chart, table or other reference for it. Even PAR is of questionable accuracy in knowing which light performs better, but it is as good as it gets right now w/o some good test equipment and the chance to try them. As far as I know, without getting into exotic and expensive equipment, a 600W HPS is unbeatable for PAR/$$$ and is usually the easiest to manage the heat generated by it. CFL's work good for veg, but I think the extra PAR from LEDs or HPS make a big difference in bloom.

Sorry - I can't answer your question directly. I bet some member has PAR estimates for CFLs. A 600W HPS has something like 90,000+ lumens output (ignoring PAR for now) when new. A 100W equivalent (23W actual) 6500K CFL puts out about 1600 lumens. So you would need 90,000/1,600 = 56.25 bulbs. 56.25 bulbs at 23 watts each = 1294 watts. So, to get the same amount of light (ignoring spectrum) you need twice the wattage in CFLs to do the same thing as a HPS.

I'd love to have 2,000 umol/square meter/second across my entire grow room, but that's about like being 20" from a 1000W HPS bulb.

When talking about wattage you want to go based off of actual wall draw. If a light Is rated for 100watts but only pulls 25watts, then you got a 25 watt light bulb. So they all pull the same about Of wattage. You never want to go based off rated wattage, you want to go by actual wattage drawl

Precisely my point. Now, back to my original question: How do LEDs compare with CFLs actual draw for an output of, say 100 Watts output? Also is there a heat issue beyond that of CFLs? For CFLs it is approx 25% draw to output.

Precisely my point. Now, back to my original question: How do LEDs compare with CFLs actual draw for an output of, say 100 Watts output? Also is there a heat issue beyond that of CFLs? For CFLs it is approx 25% draw to output.
a led light system that draws 100 watts is comparable to a cfl that draws 100 watts. when they say led is equivalent to 100 watts they are comparing it to a incandescent bulb, that comparison is useless when is comes to growing. the only thing that matters is true watts ( how much the light actually draws from the wall). a hps that draws 100 watts is comparable to led or a cfl that draws 100 watts. output wattage is more of a marketing scam and should be completely disregarded. the only thing that matters is true wattage. as far as heat goes i believe cfl are a little cooler than a led, not a 100% sure but an led will outperform a cfl watt per watt. some companies will rate there leds as 300 watts but in fact only draw 140+/- watts, other companies will go by true wattage, it all just depends on the company.

I would not use watts for a comparison unless it is for two lights of the same type from the same company. Otherwise it tells you nothing about how much light you get. Plants need light (in the proper spectrum), not watts of electricity. Again, if a comparison must be made, I'll throw out that a CFL's TRUE wattage needs to be about twice that of a LED or HPS bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom