listen2marley

Hey guys. So heres my situation. I bought a 125w set up and ended up changing the 125W bulb to a 400w bulb since I had 4 plants growing and knew i needed more wattage. What I didnt realize since indoor growing is new to me is that apparently my ballast is a 125W magnetic ballast. Iv had the 400W bulb in the 125W ballast for atleast 3 months maybe more. Can I keep it the way it is because I really dont have the money to buy a new ballast but really need the 400wattage for my plants. I mean if its going to burst into flames ill obviously change it but aince iv had it this way for so long with no issues I wasnt sure if its adapted and will be fine or if iv just been lucky and need to get the 400W bulb changed out asap. Please let me know opinions and experiences with similar situations. Iv looked around the web and seen people say it should be fine and others say not to do it so its time to get a good answer from the best source of info around; my 420 mag friends! Lol.

Bulbs are rated by the wattage at which they flow and light up the best. There's probably a better way to word what I just said but I think you'll get the jist of that. I've heard stepping a bulb down wattage is ok (not necessarily recommended) but you definitely cannot step one up without blowing it relatively quick if not instant.

Just want to make sure you realize that even though the bulb is rated for 400w you're only pushing 150w through it. Your bulb has the capability of being ran at 400w but you are limited by your ballast to only get 150w. Sounds like you're under the idea that you're actually getting 400w to your plants unless I'm reading some of that out of context. Once you change out your ballast to a 400 watt ballast (or one that's dimmable to 400w) you'll draw that 400 watts that you need. Didn't want you thinking incorrectly and end up hurting your yield or quality later on if it requires a quick decision to be made as far as a new ballast.

Just keep in mind that if you switch to a 400w ballast you'll be adding heat to your grow area. Also don't forget to make sure your hood or mogul is 400w compatible as well!

Best of luck man.

Thanks appreciate that answer. So basicaly I might as well just put the 150W back in because im only getting 150W any way?

Thanks appreciate that answer. So basically I might as well just put the 150W back in because im only getting 150W any way?

Correct. If you can invest into a 400w digital ballast go for it. Your light will be much cleaner than running a magnetic ballast (inconsistent current causes waves of light instead of continuous light)

Is it true though digital ballasts can screw with wifi? Thats the main reason i planned on staying with the magnetic

I guess anything electrical could mess with Wi-Fi if it's sitting right near the router but I would say no otherwise. Get digital, all the way.

Back
Top Bottom