400W - SCROG - Nirvana Papaya & GHS Super Bud

re: 400W - SCROG - Nirvana Papaya & GHS Super Bud

It is now day 42.

Super Bud is still frosty. Both Papayas are starting to frost up.

The two papayas are turning purple (leaves and buds). The purple leaves are also starting to curl up and some parts are becoming crispy.
I attribute this to cold night temperatures and also probably a deficiency.

I will most likely up feeding back to 3mL Micro:6 mL Bloom per Litre of water for the two papayas and continue feeding the Super Bud with the original 2.2mL Micro:4.4mL Bloom per Litre.

Front View
20160225_230132.jpg

Side View
20160225_230139.jpg

Indica pheno papaya
20160225_230253.jpg

Sativa pheno papaya
20160225_230310.jpg

Super Bud
20160225_230216.jpg

Today is day 57, but all pictures are from day 56.

The Super Bud is swelling quite a bit. Everything is still green, no sign of deficiency. Some leaves are dying off like usual. I will continue feeding until harvest, since Lucas Formula is supposedly meant to be used as such. The buds are very frosty. This plant was from 2012/2013 seed stock and it has exceeded my expectations. I give it another 1 or 2 weeks before harvest as trichomes are mostly cloudy with some clear (~70-80% cloudy).

The Papayas are dark purple (both buds and leaves). Leaves are dying off; they turn yellow and crispy before falling off. The Buds are not very dense or thick: they are airy, leafy and thin. I attribute it to reduced photosynthesis due to purple leaves; genetics; and crowdedness in the scrog. The seeds are from 2015/2016 seed stock; on Nirvana website, it has recently changed and says that Papaya=Jack Herer x Skunk #1, meaning it is more sativa (well, growth patterns and leaves seem like sativa). I give it another 1-3 weeks before harvest, as trichomes are mostly cloudy with some clear (~60-70% cloudy).

Nirvana Papaya:

Nug Shots:
IMG_271316.JPG

IMG_271613.JPG

Trichome Shots:
S20160310_007.jpg
S20160310_005.jpg
S20160310_006.jpg
S20160310_004.jpg
S20160310_003.jpg
S20160310_002.jpg
S20160310_001.jpg

GHS Super Bud

Nug Shot:
IMG_271712.JPG

Trichome Shots:
S20160310_0031.jpg
S20160310_0041.jpg
S20160310_0051.jpg
S20160310_0061.jpg

hi. i have a nirvnna papaya i just put into bloom. no buds yet. however, it is short, very thick stock, and limbs, and with short, very wide leaves. it is one of five fem seeds i have. i only popped the one. very healthy looking, and green. i also have one each of ther full moon, black jack, and blackberry going. all from fem seeds. and, a pair of chrystal in bloom. looks like we have different phenos, of papaya, as i read that its mostly, if not all, indica. yours are looking real juicy! good shots. i have a jack herer and godbud, in day 59 today. looking close as well. will let them suffer a few more days, i reckon.
P3082386.JPG
here is the god, i took pic a few days ago. she starts dropping leaves two weeks into bloom. lol.

in the winter, which is ending, my low temps go down to like low 50's. and, ligjhts on, seldom top 72. they soilless pots, sit atop two inch styrofoam panels, which are real cheap, at home depot.this makes a big diff. if we keep their feet from the cold floor, and mine is concrete, they cooler temps dont shock them. just enough to bring on the purp.
P3082375.JPG

all plants have brown pistols, as the ripen. its not a special sign, of herms. its a sign of oncomming ripeness. calyxes, will start bringing them back inside, as well, where they will then swell. the plants look fine. i have a papaya, i just put into bloom. much more indica. wide leaves, thick trunk, etc. good luck. you may have a good keeper there!

Today is day 69 of flower. I will harvest all three plants tomorrow and process each plant differently. The medium was NOT flushed with water. It was fed with 800ppm lucas formula on March 18th, 2016 and today, I have fed it tap water till 20-30% run-off.

To the sativa phenotype of papaya, I will dry them by first trimming off all leaves and putting them in brown paper bags; the buds are quite fluffy so I will put them in a cooler area to slow down the drying process. I will probably leave the buds on the big stems. When the buds are dry to the touch, but still a little moist on the inside (i.e. stems are almost dry, but still pliable enough to NOT snap), I will press them into mason jars and allow the buds to ferment. The end result should be brown buds that are smooth to smoke. The process is inspired by tobacco fermentation process. After the fermentation is done (1-2 weeks), I will continue drying in brown paper bags and then back into the jars. The jars will be burped until they reach a relative humidity of around 55%. The buds are then smokeable and should be very smooth, similar to tobacco.

To the indica phenotype of papaya, I will trim all the leaves off and separate nugs from the stems while leaving a long enough stem to hang from clothes hangers. I will then water cure by submerging all the buds in distilled water. The ppm of the water will be monitored. When the ppm gets very low (e.g. 7 days of daily water changing or around 100ppm), I will hang the buds to dry. When outside is dry, but inside still a bit moist, I will move them to brown paper bags. After sweating them for a bit and letting humidity normalize, they will be moved to the jars where I will burp them to a relative humidity of around 55%. These buds will be the quickest to be processed into a smooth, smokable form.

To the super bud, I will hang the whole plant in the grow room (around 60% relative humidity) and allow to dry slowly. Once leaves are almost crispy, I will pull off fan leaves and trim the nugs, which should still be slightly moist. They will hang for a few additional days until outside is dry, but inside still moist. They will either go straight into the jars or into the brown paper bags, depending on how dry they are. The jars will be burped until a relative humidity of 65% is achieved. I will try to have three jars (A, B and C): jar A will be kept for one month without opening, jar B will be kept for 3 months without opening and jar C will be kept for 6 months without opening. The jars will be kept in a dark place that is room temperature.

Using these methods to cure the harvest, I will be able to compare which form I find created the best product for SMOKING and will likely continue using the same method for the rest of my grows.

Final yield will be posted when product is dried and smoke reports will be posted. I will also post threads with pictures on the methods I will use to cure my produce.

Note: 55% relative humidity is perfect for smoking. 65% relative humidity is still a bit moist for me. Although I own a vape, I really enjoy the act of rolling, packing bowls and smoking the product. The fermentation process and water cure will result in a brown product that may have a more mellow smell compared to the green, jar cured product that most people are accustomed to. I am growing for personal use and honestly do not care about the bag appeal or what others think of my product; as long as the smoke is smooth, tasty and it gets me very high, I will be happy. In fact, I am sure it is better than a lot of commercial stuff that is sold in dispensaries or on the blackmarket, as commercial product is grown to make profit; they do not take the extra care and time to create a connoisseur-grade product.

Here are some trichome shots

Nirvana Papaya (sativa phenotype)
S20160323_001.jpg
S20160323_002.jpg

Nirvana Papaya (Indica phenotype)
S20160323_003.jpg
S20160323_004.jpg

Green House Seed Super Bud (feminized)
S20160323_005.jpg
S20160323_007.jpg

You have to much plant or not enough wattage in your grow. You should do 1 plant with a 400 watt and you will have a lot higher quality bud.

1mx1m scrog is pushing a 400w hps and grower's skill to the limit.

In this grow, it was not the wattage or the plant count that negatively influenced the bud quality.

I can attribute the lower bud quality to 3 things:
1. the trellis was too crowded (too many tops in allotted space)
2. cold temperatures which caused the papaya plants to purple, reducing its capacity for photosynthesis
3. stress from a light leak that was not discovered until 26 days into flowering.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom