42 Year Old Bag Seed!

oldrthandirt

Having had 2 sort of successful indoor grows I have been building a growbox when I got a package from my brother. He got into cleaning out some old boxes and found a package I sent him in 1970 from Viet Nam. In the package he found a bag between some clothes with some weed I had sent him from Nam. I remember sending this bag and remembered that it had been vaccumed sealed.

Surprisingly it is still green and contains 3 nice sticks!

Do you think these seeds will germinate? Wanna find out???

I have a couple more days of building left on the growbox then we will find out. Oh, by the way, the bag is still sealed!

The bag is actually a old K ration bag and hope to get some pictures up when I start the grow journal.

Re: 42 yr old bagseed!

Only one way to find out & thats plant em :peace:

If the seeds where stored in a cool, dark place with out to much variation of temperatures their is a slim chance of success.

Dang! I can't wait to see!!!

If you have problems there was a suggestion to help older seed germinate that was interesting. Make a small tube from sandpaper with the sand side inside. Put a few seeds in and shake for a minute or two. This scores the out side shell and makes it easier to absorb water and pop.

Good Luck!!

haha right on! Only one way to find out, I guess! Have you tried the smoke yet? How was it? lol

Good luck on the grow, bud.

Dang! I can't wait to see!!!

If you have problems there was a suggestion to help older seed germinate that was interesting. Make a small tube from sandpaper with the sand side inside. Put a few seeds in and shake for a minute or two. This scores the out side shell and makes it easier to absorb water and pop.

Good Luck!!
X2

How to Scuff Marijuana Seeds For Easy Germination - Marijuana Growing Tips - YouTube

Check out one of the top comments: "Thanks. usually scuffing seeds really isn't necessary, but with older seeds or stubborn seeds that just won't germinate it can make all the difference. The other day we scuffed and germinated some seeds that were pushing 15 years old."

Good luck budd!

Funny thing happen to me today, found some 20 year old seeds. Guess i'll be trying this method. lol I know the chances are slim but, man would i be happy if some of these mighty mite seeds popped and showed me a female.

Thanks all for the comments.

I picked out the seeds that look anywhere near good enough to try to grow. Built the new growbox and tried Buckshots suggestion on seed prep. They have been in the soil, which is compost I made, amended with perlite and vermiculite, for 1 day.

The growbox is 4x2x3 that I quick built. I stole a few ideas for the light hood from Boss and am using 16 CFLs which 12 are daylight. I am starting 9 seeds in a small container I "borrowed" from the mom in law and will transplant hopefully 2 plants into 4 gallon horse feeding buckets I picked up at Southern States for $4 a piece. If any remaining seeds come up they will be transplanted outdoors.

The veg buckets are filled with 3 parts OF, 1 part perlite, and 1 part vermiculite. Since this is my first grow in about 35 years it should be interesting.

Since reading the forums here I know that it aint happenin unless pics provided so here ya go.

The box
DSC006593.JPG

The lights
DSC006584.JPG

The seeds
DSC006543.JPG

I will post as progress goes.

WOW those seeds look like they just fell off the plant. Very nice shine and luster.
Will be interesting to tag along. Sub'd
:bravo:

right on brother, this will be fun to watch:thumb:good luck

Having had 2 sort of successful indoor grows I have been building a growbox when I got a package from my brother. He got into cleaning out some old boxes and found a package I sent him in 1970 from Viet Nam. In the package he found a bag between some clothes with some weed I had sent him from Nam. I remember sending this bag and remembered that it had been vaccumed sealed.

Surprisingly it is still green and contains 3 nice sticks!

Do you think these seeds will germinate? Wanna find out???

I have a couple more days of building left on the growbox then we will find out. Oh, by the way, the bag is still sealed!

The bag is actually a old K ration bag and hope to get some pictures up when I start the grow journal.

I remember reading or hearing it somewhere, but someone found MJ seeds in one of the Pyramids in Mexico. They were over 2,500 years old and germinated! So the storage in no light, dryness and coolness is proof enough of seeds keeping their vigor.
The weed potency will most probably be be nearly gone. The presence of time alone will degrade all the THC down to CBD's, etc and finally dwindle away. Hell, even a year after harvest, perfectly stored, the THC will be over 50% degraded...
But those seeds intrigue me to no end. I'd germinate them in the most careful environment, like Rapid Rooters or equivalent so that I could keep a keen eye on the level of moisture, oh so critical. Also I could focus some night time heat if necessary and these two factors are tough to control in soil. Just my opinion...

Tell me my telepathic will has caused these elder seeds to pop ... if not I will have to send more

Good looking seeds :thumb:

Seed banks/ plant breeders may be of interest in collecting vintage seeds btw or even successful grown plants/cuttings.

Todays strains of MJ are drastical different from the days of old with some plant breeders seeking out origanil MJ species :peace:

even if it is bad news we can take it ... just give us news! :cheesygrinsmiley:

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom