420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal

HerbFarma

Respect to all true ganja farmers and experts. This is my first grow and am opening up to all advice from those who are experienced.

Strain: Moby Dick (feminized seeds)

Strain Details: Haze X White Widow (60% indica, 40% sativa gets you 100% stoned if i could get this right)

-It is an indoor grow in soil
Soil mix -Pro-Mix BX,Worm Castings ,Bat Guano, Shrimp Compost, Added Perlite , High Magnesium Dolomite Lime ,General Hydroponics Sub-Culture
-I have no idea on the ratio of the mix but it definitely sounds nutrient rich and from the weight of the bag its feels airy and light. Will test its ph and try to get it between 6.5-6.8....right?

Lights- 400watt MH/HPS dimmable to 250 watt

-All this is housed in a 2X2X4.6 ft grow tent with a 175 cfm exhaust fan hooked up to a carbon filter hanging right above the lights (small grow space)
-When exhausting i have my intake flaps opened at the bottom.( still toggling with the variables trying to get the right temp inside the tent)( currently playing with one, two , or three flaps open simultaneaously but just one flap open seems to get the tent the coolest)

So that is a basic overview of my grow, now I only plan to have two babies in at a time this grow. i have been monitoring my grow tent and have been testing its operational temperatures. During the day, when i have a MH bulb set to 250W hanging at its maximum height at the ceiling of the tent temps can get a bit high. Anywhere from 85-92 F and 40% humidity but with no light on during the day it gets to 72-77 F with 47-52% humidity (sounds optimal in the no lights scenario doesnt it...right?)
well the case is i have the tent in an enclosed space. i'm thinking with the fan running it is exhausting the hot air right back into the small room where the tent is located. then the tent basically is intaking back hot air right? which would explain why the temp drops a couple degrees if i open the door to the enclosed space. I have an idea that if i could duct away the hot air would it decrease the temp in my tent?that way i could have my setup concealed in the enclosed space any other ideas as to how to decrease the temp inside? I also have three small USB fans blowing directly on the light( but i have to say the fans really dont seem that strong, only when blowing together do i really recognize some type of air circulation pass the bulb.) Should i just upgrade to a single stronger but still compact fan to blow on the bulb?
Am i just overthinking it because wont the temps drop a lil wen i get the plants in some pots in side? Any and all advice is welcome

rsz_2033.jpg

this is the grow setup

rsz_1036.jpg

my filter setup...filter right above light leads out through ducting to the fan shown below
rsz_0374.jpg

My thermometer and its latest reading when no lights are on and venting with one flap open
rsz_0341.jpg

my first try at cooling my lights
rsz_0352.jpg

Re: 420 HerbFarma Moby Dick Grow - First Journal & Grow Help Required

Nice setup!
Yea, your lights-off temps are the optimal temp range. The goal should be to keep those temps with the lights on. Last summer I was in your situation, with my cab exhausting the hot air into the same room that the cab was in. It was very tricky to get the temps down. I ended up running them at night to lower the heat. This year I am venting the exhaust up my chimney and out of the room. I also have an a/c on standby If I need to use it.

Anyway, good luck with the grow! Sounds like a great strain. Can't wait to see how it grows! I'll be checking back for sure.

:peacetwo:

Thanks Conqueringlionofjudah, gonna set up my exhaust to run outside the room and also get a bigger fan for the lights. Am going to start to germinate tonight. will keep you all updated.

can always vent into the attic, if you have one

Hey everyone, sorry for being away for so long. i've been tinkering around with the setup and have so far fine tuned all my atmosphere probs. ok so far i planted 5 feminized Moby Dick seeds( three more than i planned to).
the issue i am having is this. the first two seeds i had were allowed to crack open in a tissue paper before i planted them. i had done so on the tenth of June. on the twelfth of june i simply planted three more of the seeds right into soil with no extra preparations. Lo and behold when yesterday on the 15th i peeped into my tenth and saw a speck of green in the corner. mein was i relieved, but at the same time worried. none of the seeds planted on the 10th emerged. Now today another one of the seeds planted on the 12th emerged. i carefully removed the dirt surrounding the two seeds i planted on the 10th and found that they had no root growing!!!:( i read online i could soak them again and i promptly did so for a couple hours and saw how they swoll up again and i saw some little white from inside the seed. the shell also has gotten really really soft. Can anyone tell me if i should continue watering the cups these guys are in or jus consider them a lost cause.

Here are some pics
011341.jpg

does anyone think my light is too far from the seedlings? the ballast is set to 250 watts but can be increased.

007489.jpg

this was the first one to emerge from the soil. Looks healthy so far. its my pride and joy at the moment.

009416.jpg
008450.jpg

these are two pictures of the newcomer that has just emerged today soon to be free of his seed coat.
well thats it for now. will post any new changes as soon as they occur.
Stay stoned

one word... patience
its difficult on the first grow to do just that.... tel them grow
id say your seeds are fine... sometimes they pop fast and sometimes they dont. and sometimes they pop fast and grow slow!
like the set up. glad you have the temps figured out...
do you have a fan to blow over the girls? this will help them be strong
keep up the good work, welcome to :420:
and may all your buds be dense!

Relax, you are along for the ride now. Keep the heat out of the space and you will be fine, 3 plants or 5, don't worry

thanks for the advice guys, i dont have a fan on them but there is air circulating over them that causes them to kinda vibrate. is that enough or just go with the fan? gonna post some update pics in a while.

so here are the ladies today
005552.jpg

thats the top view of our oldest
004589.jpg

oldest again
003621.jpg
002657.jpg

these two are of the second of the litter

001611.jpg

no other seed has broken ground yet.

does anyone think i need to get the plants closer to the light?

its amazing how the second one is nearly as big as the first already...they grow up so fast

you will want to get a fan in there just to increce the circulation... when they get older they will need it goot circulation means better photosyntasis. as for the lights they are fine for now you dont want to roast your seedlings

You will love the Moby Dick to be sure. It is one of our favorites and is a really hardy plant. The most difficult thing to deal with in the beginning is patience. :) Give the plants a chance to do their thing. Over watering or underwatering is usually the first mistake. As for your soil, you are real close to a great mix. We have simplified our mix down to two ingredients. 75% Promix or Sunshine mix, and 25% Fox Farms Ocean Forest. The plants seem to do quite well and we spend less money. Our new line of nutrients is General Organics, a vegan line of nutrients that cost about $160.00 for the full line. What is so nice about it is that we no longer need to ph balance anything. Simply follow the chart and all goes quite well, simple and easy. We also switched from MH lights to T5's and found less heat and the plants respond very well. We veg at 24/0 and have noticed no problems. Make sure you can keep control of the temps, and you should do very well. You have a very good handle on things so far, just keep up the good work and you should be rewarded with some very tasty and satisfying medicine. Keep em green brother.

tanx fo the advice shaggy and gmt1975a. right now i am getting a cool tube for my light and selling my reflector to one of my buddies. two of my moby dick seeds sprouted and i had planted five great white shark seeds on 17th June. four out of the five have sprouted today which just leaves one. the three yellow cups in the back are a cherry kush and two great white shark seeds im germinating for the same friend buying the reflector. all seems to be going well so far. here are pics of the ladies
001615.jpg

002660.jpg
003626.jpg

the above two are of Moby Dick #1
004591.jpg
005556.jpg

this is moby dick #2
006492.jpg
007492.jpg

Great white shark #1
008454.jpg

great white shark #2
009419.jpg

Great White shark #3
010390.jpg

this is the fourth great white shark
Also guys i need advice, both moby dick's have a couple roots sticking out the bottom of their jiffy pots. should i replant them now? or wait a couple more days?

you can transplant now or in a few days.... my recomendation is that when ever you do transplant, to fill the jiffy pots to the top and bury the seedlings down to the first false leaves.
they look nice and healthy

I concur with Shaggie. Give them as much root space as possible, for this is the "food supply" for the growth above ground. I tend to transplant once, going directly into a 5 gallon bucket as soon as they are ready. Make sure your buckets can drain, so no water builds up to rot the roots. We normally place 1 1/2-2 inches of hydroton in the bottom for drainage, then cover with a layer of landscape fabric, to prevent soil washing out of the bottom. Looking great brother, keep em green.

Hey guys hope all is well and smoky. im coming along pretty well i think here is some update photos of the ladies.
013286.jpg
014262.jpg

the one above is moby dick #2 @ 10 days old
015240.jpg

Moby Dick #1 @ 11 days old
016211.jpg

Great White #1 @ 6 days old
017191.jpg

Great White #2 @ 6 days old
018178.jpg

Great White #3 @ 5 days old

on monday i think i am gonna transfer everyone into their final pots. four of them will go inside 4 gallon square pot and the one in a lil smaller 3.75 gallon round container. i was wondering what you guys think about putting the hydroton clay pellets as a layer above and below the soil in a pot? what are your takes?

Hey bro, we drill 1/8th inch drain holes in our pots, then add a 1 or 1-1/2 inch layer of hydroton, then cover with a piece of landscape fabric, which keeps the soil from rinsing out. Fill the remainder with soil and you will do just fine brother. Just keep the soil light and airy, and the roots will be happy. You are doing great so far, keep em green.

wet to dry watering schedule... pots should be dry to touch (stick finger in dirt till up to first knuckle if it feels dry water... if it feels moist wait) before you water/ feed

Back
Top Bottom