420 Magazine’s Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By DonkeyDick

Thanks. It’s thanks to the sponsors really.

The pots you see there are 20 litre, so 5ish gallons?

I transplanted my last one, GSC #5, into a ten litre pot today and put her in the flower room.

At last! The countdown is on.

I pluck fans, then chop branches to trim, wash and hang. Then I strip flowers from stems after a drip dry and bag them in the fridge. Each bag gets 30 grams of wet flower. I lay them out flat with their ends tucked over and check them daily.

After a week in the fridge they take up less room...

In one of the bags today...

Some very pretty flowers.

And I took some of the smallest, driest pieces for a test drive.

Very satisfying flavours! More interesting at first blush than GSC #1 which I finished yesterday. She wasn’t a keeper. This one - mmm. We’ll see.

Today flowers in the fridge are beginning to feel crisp enough that I will start to transition them to jars tonight. I find a night spent in a sealed jar will draw more moisture from the stem and rehydrate the surface crispy bits. Then I use larger paper bags to store the flowers back in the fridge for another day. They will feel dry again, then they’ll likely test in the 60-70% RH range in the jar after that.

A pleasure...

GSC #3 was topped once then trained.
GSC’s #4 and 5 were topped then tipped.

You can see where I snipped a branch that wasn’t going to make it to the canopy.

In the picture below you can see a knuckle in a branch. This is a HST technique. I’ll do this deliberately when supercropping or just to position a branch without too many nuisance training wires. The branch was crushed and twisted over a half inch or so. This to: reposition the growth tip in the canopy, slow growth in veg temporarily, produce larger flowers off the ‘knuckled’ branch.

And looking up again...

For branch structure based on the frame you were looking at.

The pointer below is to show that even the lowest branches on this one will be valuable parts of the overall canopy.

This is what these journals are for, BA. I appreciate your questions. If I were better at asking questions I would learn faster.

Cheers folks
:snowboating:
Simply amazing!!! Hehe props on your cultivation skills. Are these plants completely unsupported? No stakes or wires? Anything?!? Lol

I appreciate the pics. The knuckles look so strong. Love it. I did some knarly bending and twisting in some outdoor plants this season. They didn't even seem to skip a beat honestly.

I read somewhere about knuckles from HST can become brittle? Have you experienced this? I personally have not. But I also may not know exactly what to look for. All I can attest to at this point in my experience is when I cause trauma to branch tissue, it hardens and becomes stronger. I equate it to our muscles when we work out and create microtears. Builds muscle. In their case, it builds denser branch tissues. I don't know if this causes brittleness later in flower though. I had to harvest fairly earlier than I would have liked.

Speaking of testers...I just tested some GSC from my first harvest! Yuuuum...and I'm baked! Slouched and melting in my couch right now. Tension relief! I think I will be smashing most of it in the press.

Thanks again for the awesome pics and walk-through. I want to grow a plant like this and wrap my head around the process.

Very satisfying flavours! More interesting at first blush than GSC #1 which I finished yesterday. She wasn’t a keeper. This one - mmm. We’ll see.

What does this mean? You "finished" GSC #1 yesterday. And, also "she wasn't a keeper". What does that mean? You're going to give her away or something? And, why isn't she a keeper?

props on your cultivation skills.

:thanks:

Are these plants completely unsupported? No stakes or wires? Anything?

They are unsupported. No stakes or wires or anything.
Plants that are too floppy to hold themselves up annoy me.

The knuckles look so strong.

I think they are. Sometimes I will put knuckles into the top runners to give a chance to lowers to catch up. When I look at those photos I’m pretty sure that’s what was happening there.

I read somewhere about knuckles from HST can become brittle? Have you experienced this?

I have not, but it makes sense. It is, as you say, scar tissue after all, or at least comparable.

Speaking of testers...I just tested some GSC from my first harvest! Yuuuum...and I'm baked! Slouched and melting in my couch right now. Tension relief!

:yahoo: :slide: :high-five: Nice!
Good work.

Those are indeed some pretty flowers my long hung friend , lots of sparkle and a little color it will look good in the grinder !!!

Cheers HF. Good things are worth doing well. She’s back in the fridge again. So far, so good.

Thanks for the enjoyable and stress-free catch-up:high-five:

Thanks for saying so. The pleasure is mutual.

What does this mean? You "finished" GSC #1 yesterday. And, also "she wasn't a keeper". What does that mean? You're going to give her away or something? And, why isn't she a keeper?

When I say finished, HG, I mean the jar is empty. She has been used up. That was that. Poof! Gone. In a cloud of smoke, if you like ;)

A keeper is a plant I want to clone and reclone and always have a supply of. GSC #1 was not such a plant.

Why wasn’t she a keeper? She didn’t touch pain for me. As enjoyable as she was, however briefly, that is my bottom line. For a plant to be a keeper here it has to either be pain meds or displace the best of the back ups.

I don’t have any clones of her she is gone now.

I hope that helps to dispel any unintentional ambiguity on my part. Thanks for reading! :high-five:

AMEN!!!
A keeper is a plant I want to clone and reclone and always have a supply of
Ok...so how do you go about doing thus during your grows? I am now regretting not having clones of every plant but alas, no space was set aside for a cloning area. Do you take cuts and just keep them in veg until you have a finished cure of each plant and then cull them when you've made a choice? How many plants do you have cloned or as mothers at any given time?
Why wasn’t she a keeper? She didn’t touch pain for me.
There it is! That's it for me right there. I'm good with having an uplifting experience that helps me ignore pain. But at the end of the day, I unfortunately need something heavy and sedative. I have yet to find something that can relieve intense sharp pain while allowing me the opportunity to function and have energy. Lately...not much of anything is working. I need to go dive into this forum and start chatting with more people that deal with pain. I honestly have attempted to ignore it for many years. So many up and downs living a life in pain. 10 years ago, I did not think I would be in this spot. 5 years ago, I lost hope in finding true relief and started for journey of learning to cope. The past year...some dark times and difficulty even making the choice to go on. I don't want to detract from this GSC Journal. I will say that my poorly dried GSC did provide some relief, but nowhere nearly enough. I am patiently (NOT) waiting for my better dried and fully cured buds will do for me! Blessings on your pain Dick. I wish you even just a day with none! Wouldn't that be amazing?!?

:thanks:

They are unsupported. No stakes or wires or anything.

So, what's your secret for growing unfloppy plants? My GSCs were a mess even though I added a product with 44% silica each watering and I might as well have saved my money for all the good it did.

When I say finished, HG, I mean the jar is empty. She has been used up. That was that. Poof! Gone. In a cloud of smoke, if you like ;)

Wow! You've used all of GSC1 already? That's impressive (?).

A keeper is a plant I want to clone and reclone and always have a supply of. GSC #1 was not such a plant.

Why wasn’t she a keeper? She didn’t touch pain for me. As enjoyable as she was, however briefly, that is my bottom line. For a plant to be a keeper here it has to either be pain meds or displace the best of the back ups.

Thanks for the explanation. What are you currently using for pain meds?

There it is! That's it for me right there. I'm good with having an uplifting experience that helps me ignore pain. But at the end of the day, I unfortunately need something heavy and sedative. I have yet to find something that can relieve intense sharp pain while allowing me the opportunity to function and have energy.

These 2 bolded sentences seem to oppose each other. I usedHashPlant for nighttime pain relief and insomnia. It has 12% THC and 4% CBD.

Daytime pain relief is CB Dutch Treat, which is 4% THC and 8% CBD. I supplement my pain capsules with pain cream, also made with HashPlant.

If you need any help learning how to make canna-infused oil or pain cream, let me know as I make both regularly. :hug:

I'm good with having an uplifting experience that helps me ignore pain.

I’ll second that.

This reminds me. My reading on the subject of CBD vs pain turned this up: there is a neurological link between the part of the brain that registers pain and the limbic system - our seat of emotion. It means we are able to identify with pain. Not just to say ow that hurts, but to say this is my pain. I hurt so much.

CBD can break this neurological link.

Only a sufferer of persistent pain will recognise how profoundly liberating cannameds can be. It’s nuanced, but it’s huge.
Turning it from my pain back into that pain is so much less overwhelming.

Do you take cuts and just keep them in veg until you have a finished cure of each plant and then cull them when you've made a choice?

Exactly. I keep a nursery box for cuttings and small clones, then a 3x3 veg tent. I just keep rotating plants through until I want to flower one out.

How many plants do you have cloned or as mothers at any given time?

Just had a quick count up. Of the twenty varieties I have grown since joining 420 Magazine I still have ten (that’s counting the GSC’s as one). Two are for CBD, two are for pain, one is for my wife, two are still untried and the rest are part of the hunt.

I wish you even just a day with none! Wouldn't that be amazing?!?

You are not kidding!
:passitleft:

So, what's your secret for growing unfloppy plants? My GSCs were a mess even though I added a product with 44% silica each watering and I might as well have saved my money for all the good it did.

I don’t know that I have a secret. Maybe languishing for a short eternity in veg helped them to get woodier? Maybe it’s epigenetics.

Wow! You've used all of GSC1 already? That's impressive (?).

Pain is over rated.
For context for the reader I have a higher than average need for pain relief. Cannameds are my only recourse. Opiates, alcohol, NSAIDS are not part of my medicine cabinet.
I’m a guy who wakes up half a dozen times while his gall bladder is being removed - with everyone else in the room shouting at the poor anaesthetist. To be fair I did warn him.
As a vignette I hope it helps illustrate my expectations of things. I am open to the possibility that one of these GSC’s might just help. But realistic.
Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the explanation. What are you currently using for pain meds?

I have looked through the Weed Seeds Express website and didn’t find a reference for you sorry. I dare say they have all sorts of useful varieties there, but like I explained to BA just now my experience is pretty limited.

The most recent posts on my Stable Of Impermanence thread speak to your question. Readers feel free to take a quick detour and come say Hi over there if you like.
:thumb:
Come on back though.

This reminds me. My reading on the subject of CBD vs pain turned this up: there is a neurological link between the part of the brain that registers pain and the limbic system - our seat of emotion. It means we are able to identify with pain. Not just to say ow that hurts, but to say this is my pain. I hurt so much.

CBD can break this neurological link.
Interesting info DD. I remember that @Amy Gardner always said her best pain relief came with a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio, and of course that was done with a blend of two different plants!

Interesting info DD. I remember that @Amy Gardner always said her best pain relief came with a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio, and of course that was done with a blend of two different plants!

Yes and of course there are many ways that CBD (and THC for that matter) work more directly on inflammation and pain because there are CD1 and CD2 receptors (cannabinoid receptors) throughput the body.

The little factoid above was apropos BA’s thoughts earlier.

Interestingly, back in the brain again. Receptor sites for the most prolific neurotransmitter in the CNS (acetylcholine? Don’t quote me) are significantly outnumbered by CD1 and CD2 receptors. (This isn’t or at least wasn’t taught in medical school). Draw from that what you will (because it isn’t or at least wasn’t.. you know). It’s just interesting.

It is a boon that research is finally happening in more progressive places where prohibition is prohibited.

For CBD to be effective, a dosage needs to be consumed daily for at least 30 days to see start of the best results for dealing with chronic pain.... source- Medical consultation with a Physician studying and specializing in medical cannabis.

I've yet to test this, as I found the THC gave me some instant relief and was all that I could afford. I'm hoping to grow some strains this upcoming summer that are high CBD to see if it helps me.

Big Bud x North Lights Auto, with a nice ambering in the trichomes has helped with my nerve pain the most so far.

I've yet to test this, as I found the THC gave me some instant relief and was all that I could afford. I'm hoping to grow some strains this upcoming summer that are high CBD to see if it helps me.
Go with ones that are CBD only, because the cannabinoid content of the blends vary wildly from plant to plant. Then you can blend the CBD variety with a THC variety in a proportion that works for you, whether inhaled or in oil.

Hi all. I hope everything is well with you.

Another mini harvest in the Stable.

Here she was yesterday.

And today:

Coat hangers are drip drying.
Such gorgeous smells all day!
I’ll clip her down for fridge bags in the morning.

In other news. GSC #2 came in at 3 oz.
A tasty wee treat she is, too. It isn’t all sweet fruit, although there is plenty of that. There’s also enough depth and savoury complexity to make it interesting.

As tasty as she is already a cure will do wonders.

Play safe. Come back.
:peace: :love:

Congrats on another good harvest, Donkey. You said it was Day 64 for GSC3. I have July 11th as your flip to flower date, which would make it Day 102 of flower. Did you flip them all to flower on the same day? :hmmmm:

Congrats on another good harvest, Donkey. You said it was Day 64 for GSC3. I have July 11th as your flip to flower date, which would make it Day 102 of flower. Did you flip them all to flower on the same day? :hmmmm:

Thank you HG. Good bit of record keeping there :high-five:
I staggered the flip to flower on the five GSC’s I popped. Flip dates were as follows:
GSC #1 9.7.21
GSC #2 30.7.21
GSC #3 20.8.21
GSC #4 3.9.21
GSC #5 9.10.21

Congratulations on the Harvest Donkey!

That mid bud looks sweet- so many trichomes

And nice touch with the "empty shoes"!

Thank you, Rex.
I harvested #’s I &2 at days 71 and 78 respectively. Based on my experiences with them and the ripeness of this one I judged that waiting any longer had nothing to gain but more foxtails.

Another one bites the scissors! Congrats on the harvest DD. :thumb:

Cheers Shed. Happy to be building a useful amount now.

Hey.

That’s number three done and dusted. She looks like she’ll be just over three ounces dry. That said, #2 looked like 2.5 oz wet and gave me 3. We’ll see.

On GSC #2 flowers just jarred I’ve got to say - anyone growing for bag appeal would do well to invest heavily in feminised Girl Scout Cookies by @Weed Seeds Express ! I have bought lots of pot in the past, but nothing reaching this standard.

And yet to come...

Cheers
:cheer:

Niiiiiice!!! Congrats Dick! Great looking plant.

Quick ? - did you do a period of darkness? I haven't had a chance to harvest my gsc #1 but i have seen so many people do a dark 2 or 3 day period before chopping. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom