420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Beez0404

@Kismet can you please share what you mean by precharge the medium?
I soak the perlite the night prior to planting the seeds. I have a regular nutrient product I mix with water and use to soak the perlite.
This is my understanding of charging up the medium. I was thinking of using a soluble kelp powder for my seeds. I have never done it that way though. Not sure if it is entirely necessary. I'm sure that's a common debate in germination differences too.

I've found that the introduction of a miniscule amount of nutrients (low nitrogen) has been beneficial to my hempy solo cup seed germination. The roots seems to take off. It is a very very light mix. Now that said this is a new nutrient line for me so that could backfire on me. We'll just have to wait and see.

I just took a peek at the seeds in the perlite. We're up to 5 of 6 having put out tap roots. The 6th one I'd say is not destined for greater things. They should be sprouting above ground here in a couple days. I buried them a little deeper to help them remove their shell casings and membranes on their own.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

@ProfessorFlora I have been wanting to learn how to grow bigger and better yielding autos and was finding they did not grow as big in my Coots organic soil. I don't know the scientific reason for it but I did prove to myself that my autos grow much bigger in Pro Mix and fed MC. But around here the Pro Mix is REALLY expensive so I started making my own version and it works really great. For me all the Pro Mix does it hold on to the moisture and makes the nutrients available to the roots. That's it, all it does. So here is my very simple recipe for soilless medium that does that same job.

I mix it up in 15 gallon batches which I do in big 40 gallon totes I buy at Wal-Mart. The ingredients list is very short.

The first ingredient is Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. It MUST be Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, if it's regular old peat moss it's garbage and a waste of good money. Canadian Sphagnum is so much better.

10 Gallons of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss

Next ingredient is Perlite. I look for the medium sized perlite and get the big bags when you can find them. It's so much cheaper. I buy mine at a farm supply place that sells seeds, hay, mulch, plants....you know the kind of place I mean. Probably could find it at a plant nursery business. Might not be an item they stock to sell but maybe could get you a bag when they order for themselves. Anyway................

4.5 - 5 Gallons of medium Perlite

The third ingredient is Espoma Organic Garden Lime which I buy at Tractor Supply. I think you can probably guy it at Wal-Mart or Lowes. This helps balance the PH of the medium.

4 level cups of Organic Garden Lime

The final ingredient is mycorrhizae to greatly enhance the building of the root structure. I won't mention the brand I use because we have a sponsor who sells this same product. I did reach out to @DYNOMYCO but never heard back from them. Their product does look very good.

3 level cups of Mycorrhizae.

And that's it pretty much. I do moisten it but not soaking wet. I mix and mix and mix prior to adding water. You end up with a medium with very good aeration with the perlite. The sphagnum peat moss really holds on to the water nicely and thus holds onto the MC making it easily accessible to the roots which are prolific because of the mycorrhizae and the lime helps balance the PH.

Soilless Medium recipe for 15 Gallon batch

10 Gallons Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
4.5 - 5 Gallons Medium perlite
4 Level Cups Organic Garden Lime
3 Level Cups Mycorrhizae
@beez0404 apologies for the late response - would love to have you get DYNOMYCO in your substrate, DYNOMYCO not only looks good but works great too ;) Very interesting germination method and look forward to following along with this grow.

Best of luck :peace:

Five of the seeds have sprouted. I didn't check on the 6th one it's lagging behind. Four broke the surface having shucked their shell casing and membrane. One required surgery to remove both the seeds shell and the membrane. Surgery was a success so I think she'll be just fine.

Happy Monday to everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. The weather here was beautiful.

So today I have five newly sprouted @Weed Seeds Express Girl Scout Cookies seedlings. Number 6 did not make the party I'm afraid. I'm not saying it wouldn't have eventually sprouted because it very likely would have. But for the purposes of this grow I want only the healthiest and hardiest examples in my tent.

Here is where we're at with these babies. I have a homemade box I built for my seedlings and clones. Simple screw in LED lights provide warmth and the light necessary to nurture them along. They will be under their domes under these LED lights until tomorrow at which time the domes will come off. They will then spend Tuesday under the LEDs with no dome. On Wednesday I will float them out of the perlite and transplant them into small pots. I am undecided yet as to what size pots I will put them in.

Here they are in the box under their domes.

And here are photos of the five seedlings. By the end of the day they should all be standing straight and tall. If four of them are standing tall and strong and one is not................

I can't stress enough how important it is to be gentle with these tiny plants. That's all I have for now. Any questions do feel free to ask. I'll be looking for the first set of permanent leaves to form so I can consider starting them on the @Prescription Blend nutrients. I have been thinking about this and will most likely wait until I see the second set of permanent leaves appear before I start feeding them.

Hope everyone has a great week!
:peace: :Namaste::peace:

Edit: I should have said I will be looking for all five of the seedlings to have their first set of true leaves as a couple already do.

What i love about beez he keeps us on task. Was running clones and forgot how delicate popping beans can be . Especially in this old house during the winter. So yah killed a few lol. Took a que from him and got a seedling mat. We both run hempy aka passive perlite hydro style. Got 5 beans down in a cup o perlite. Hoping at least a few pop.Will post some pics to my thread when i see life.
@Kismet can you please share what you mean by precharge the medium?
Forgot to soak my medium in quarter strength cal mag before putting the poor beans in there. Lil rusty ugh. Rest in peace lil baby seeds.:bong:

Got 5 beans down in a cup o perlite. Hoping at least a few pop. Will post some pics to my thread when i see life.

Oh you'll get them to pop my friend! Make sure you have water in the reservoir cause that heat pad will evaporate if quickly. I have a little spray bottle and spritz it 10 or 15 times ever other day.

A brief update for today the 14 of April. I'm going to call this past Sunday as Day 1 since all 5 were sprouted.

Today is the last day for the final four to be in their solo cups. Tomorrow I will float them out and get them planted in a new batch of my homemade soilless medium. I've been so busy I haven't had time to get it mixed up yet. But tomorrow it's supposed to rain so I'll be at home devoting time to plant care. I culled the unhappy looking seedling today as I said leaving me four. They have been out from under their domes all day today.

When I make my medium tomorrow I will be wetting it the same way I would if I were using my regular nutrients. But tomorrow I will be wetting the medium with @Prescription Blend and was hoping I could get Matthew to chime in about what to use and how much. I've done as much research as I feel like I could do on the Prescription Blend line and based on what I know I am looking at mixing 1ml of Core A and 1ml of Core B to get things started. Hopefully Matthew sees this in time to offer his suggestion.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Today is the day the four seedlings to make the final cut are transplanted into their next home. The four standing straight and tall are the chosen ones for the comparative grow. The bent over plant I'm sad to say won't be getting transplanted today. I may take her and plant her down by the boat landing for some lucky passerby to find. :rolleyes:

Let's get started. Here are photos of the plants in their hempy/perlite solo cups. I wish I had the tech skill to make a video and someone to hold the camera for me because a video showing how to remove the seedling from the perlite would be helpful. But you guys and gals are all intelligent and it's not really complicated. I just want to stress for the first time. BE GENTLE!

My next step was to prepare my soilless medium to receive these very healthy looking seedlings. Thanks once again @Weed Seeds Express for your generousity.

I mixed up about 7.5 gallons of my homemade soilless medium. Earlier in the thread I shared the ingredients and amounts of each to use to make a really good medium. So I mixed up the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite, Organic Garden Lime, and Mycorrhizae. I like to mix small batches like this for a coupe reasons. First I'm getting old and it's work mixing 30 gallons at a time. Second when I mix in smaller batches it is so much easier to stir and mix which means I do a much better and thorough job of it.

In this photo I had already poured the perlite into the tub. Mycorrhizae and Lime on the top.

Here is the final product after mixing and stirring really well. You don't want pockets of limestone or mycorrhizae in your medium. I have not moistened this yet. If you do decide to give this medium a try understand that the peat moss is really dry and till it's moistened it actually tries to resist mixing with the water. I put my hose nozzle on the fine setting adding it slowly and stirring real well as I water. I do NOT want the medium really wet. I do want it well moistened if that makes sense. I want the roots to have enough to drink but equally as importantly I want them to be able to breathe.

A brief update for today the 14 of April. I'm going to call this past Sunday as Day 1 since all 5 were sprouted.

Today is the last day for the final four to be in their solo cups. Tomorrow I will float them out and get them planted in a new batch of my homemade soilless medium. I've been so busy I haven't had time to get it mixed up yet. But tomorrow it's supposed to rain so I'll be at home devoting time to plant care. I culled the unhappy looking seedling today as I said leaving me four. They have been out from under their domes all day today.

When I make my medium tomorrow I will be wetting it the same way I would if I were using my regular nutrients. But tomorrow I will be wetting the medium with @Prescription Blend and was hoping I could get Matthew to chime in about what to use and how much. I've done as much research as I feel like I could do on the Prescription Blend line and based on what I know I am looking at mixing 1ml of Core A and 1ml of Core B to get things started. Hopefully Matthew sees this in time to offer his suggestion.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Looks like a set of healthy seedlings and that soilless mix should very good for them. As far as what to water in with like you asked, 1mL/gal of each Core A and Core B will give a very gentile first feeding, you could also use 1-2ml/gal of Kelp-Ful with it to give them a little extra.

1mL/gal of each Core A and Core B will give a very gentile first feeding, you could also use 1-2ml/gal of Kelp-Ful with it to give them a little extra.
Hey Matthew, thank you for making yourself available during this grow. I anticipate questions early on when the plants are more fragile. I am going to wait till Sunday for the medium to dry out a little even though it is only moist now. But on Monday I will mix up a gallon of water with 1ml each of Core A and Core B and 2ml of Kelp-Ful. A gentle feeding that can give them an early boost.

Back
Top Bottom