Also a pic of my expensive moisture meter
Nice, I use the same. I like the 12” model to get down to the bottom of the pot. I find they are very cost effective and I can use one in each pot. :high-five:

The pictures are stunning Bakedarea! :circle-of-love:
Thanks so much WSE Team! I really appreciate the opportunity to even be a part of this. The stellar genetics make it easy to get good pics. Haaa haaa
Plants looking stellar Baked!

I'm saving up funds for one of those now!
Thanks GDB. You will be saving for a long time. Plus they are on back order. :ganjamon:
Caught up again! Great thread Baked. Can't wait to see some flowers in these pics.
:passitleft:
Thanks again PF for visiting and I'm looking forward to flower pics too!!!
Nice, I use the same. I like the 12” model to get down to the bottom of the pot. I find they are very cost effective and I can use one in each pot. :high-five:
Damn...The 12" models are for the HIGH rollers! I can only afford the 9.5" model.

Thanks everyone for stopping by and checking things out. I'll get an update out tomorrow. Just getting out of work...been a long ass day. :lot-o-toke::snowboating:

* UPDATE * NEED ADVICE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 17 (May 12th)
Above Soil April 28th / 2 wk seedling stage
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 13 (May 16th)
Above Soil May 9th / 1 wk seedling stage

I didn't get any update pics yesterday.
Not much changed though except this morning a couple of them look thirsty and droopy. They are taking in water more rapidly! The containers for 1,2,3 are definitely light. They still have some moisture but they are sucking it up quick. Means lots of root growth in the past few days.

I could use some advice please on a few of my next steps. I have multiple strategies in my head and I'm not sure which to go with.

• #1,2, & 3 are due for their 2nd top dress tomorrow. #7,8 & 9 are due for their first top dress tomorrow too (planned). The older ones are ready for new containers too though. Should I go ahead and uppot 1 & 3 tomorrow so I can get them fed and watered in one shot?

• #2 & #8 will be going outside. I'd like to start the hardening off process today since I'll be home the next few days and can monitor them well. How would you approach it? Thankfully we have mild weather the next few days too. My plan was to get them outside into the greenhouse in the morning for at least 8-12 hrs over the next week or two and bring them in before dusk. Good plan? For how long would I need to do this before I can leave them outside 24/7?

• #1 is working on pushing out node 7 from what I can see. I really want to top her or maybe even try to FIM her. My end goal is an even canopy but I am getting different growth patterns because of the different seedling containers I chose to use. Does it matter if I top them at different times? Also, #3 is pushing out node 6 so she is not too far behind. Is it wise to top during a transplant?

I also wanted to share some data over the past month in the grow tent. There are a couple outliers from having the tent open to work in there but otherwise it seems to be stable.

The only question I know the answer to is that you should not top them and transplant them on the same day. I'm running into this problem as well as I have 2 that are getting too big and need to be topped but they also need to be transplanted. If you do them both at the same time, your plants may never recover because of the shock.

You've got a lot of completing priorities, Baked.

I suggest you choose the path that's in the best interest of your plants.

Hope that helps. :laughtwo:

The only question I know the answer to is that you should not top them and transplant them on the same day. I'm running into this problem as well as I have 2 that are getting too big and need to be topped but they also need to be transplanted. If you do them both at the same time, your plants may never recover because of the shock.
Yeah...that's what I was wondering. A part of me wants to try it lol. Something tells me they would recover! Dammit...
You've got a lot of completing priorities, Baked.

I suggest you choose the path that's in the best interest of your plants.

Hope that helps. :laughtwo:
Thanks a freakin lot...NOT! :rofl: :laugh:

So these are the root pruner pots I wanted to go up to next. What do you all think? Too small of a step up?

Here is my logic for choosing these. It will create a denser root ball while still allowing plenty of space to support vertical growth. Probably would last about 2 weeks before having to move up again. My plan would be for one more uppot into a larger root pruner style container. After that, then their final 7 gal equivalent container.

20210529_212256.jpg

20210529_212312.jpg
20210529_212236.jpg

20210529_212357.jpg
20210529_212416.jpg
20210529_212256.jpg

So these are the root pruner pots I wanted to go up to next. What do you all think? Too small of a step up?

Here is my logic for choosing these. It will create a denser root ball while still allowing plenty of space to support vertical growth. Probably would last about 2 weeks before having to move up again. My plan would be for one more uppot into a larger root pruner style container. After that, then their final 7 gal equivalent container.

20210529_212256.jpg

20210529_212312.jpg
20210529_212236.jpg

20210529_212357.jpg
20210529_212416.jpg
20210529_212256.jpg
They'll do the job. I have used pond pots in the past with mixed results. They worked great but allowed an infestation of fungus gnats to get out of hand. They certainly work though and are not too dissimilar to those expensive plastic air pots.

I have used pond pots in the past with mixed results.
I have used those pond pots too but not for cannabis. I was going to jump them up to something similar but larger next. I have used them for finicky plants and hardy plants. The root ball, if allowed to develop, is definitely denser with more ramification. I did not however have an issue with the fungus gnats. I did topdress with a ½" of turface (clay chips). It doesn't explain why they didn't infest the sides though. I'll need to consider that seriously ProFessa. Thanks for that insight.
Looking good there BA :passitleft:
Thanks so much Mocha. I appreciate the visit.

* UPDATE * - Uppot & @GeoFlora Nutrients 'VEG' Topdress for all the plants
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 18 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 14 (May 16th)

I finally made up my mind on what to do. I felt the root pruning pot was too small of a jump. I decided to go with a square 6x6 (1 gallon) for #1 & #3. As for #2, I ended up going with a 9" pond basket as mentioned by @ProfessorFlora a couple comments ago. I remembered I had a couple empty ones and decided to move up to that one instead of the smaller ones I asked about earlier. They hold roughly 2 gallons of soil.

After the transplant, they all got a @GeoFlora Nutrients 'VEG' topdress too. #1 & 3 got 1oz, #2 got 2oz, #7, 8, & 9 got 1Tbs (their first topdress).

#2 & #8 got there first day outside today. They went out around noon and came in at 9pm. They were in the greenhouse.

Kind of a big photo dump. Plus a surprise at the end...

Before the transplant

And for the surprise! I originally was planning on #5 to fill this spot but #2 turned into the much better (alive) candidate. I present to you all the start of my first Cannabis Bonsai!

@Weed Seeds Express I will be sacrificing a lot of time to create this living sculpture. I hope I will be able to create something beautiful and inspiring.

She got her first bends yesterday afternoon. Very slight. Just enough to send some hormones into the trunk to strengthen it. It is amazing how quickly cannabis can respond to training. This will not be a tiny shohin sized bonsai by the way. I will introduce her final pot later in the season. I am preparing a special spot in my backyard where I plan to showcase special bonsai projects. This beauty will be the first to be showcased there all season! Until it is complete...you will have to deal with basic greenhouse pics.

* UPDATE *
ALL PLANTS POST TOP DRESS & WATER ~ 18 Hrs
#1 & 3 - TRANSPLANT ~ 18 Hrs
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 19 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 15 (May 16th)

Just wanted to give another shout out to @420 for putting this whole thing together. Appreciate the opportunity Rob!

May be time to get the older ladies their own spot in the tent so it's easier to dial in the amount of light each gets. My PPFD is ranging 850-900 for #1, 680-720 for #3, 550 for #7 & 9

This is about 18 hours after her first wiring and main bends. All the little branches and tops were already pointing up. I took #2 & 8 outside this morning at 6am. That will be my routine for them the next couple weeks. They will be brought in between 8 or 9pm.

After giving her a chance to stretch a little and bend back up, I pulled her right back down this morning! You can see how the wire in the pic above is pointing up and in the pic below, the wire is bent back around the branch. The rest of horizontal growth will be anchors most likely.

Here is one my bonsai tool wraps. Won't really be necessary for using with cannabis but those scissors are AMAZING! Hard to beat the precision of good bonsai scissors.

Looking great @BakedARea ! I was about to throw some two cents from my end but looks like your thumbs green already my friend! I'm about to top dress with more @GeoFlora Nutrients for my final weeks in veg and just keep top dressing until about a week or until ready to flip to flower. Looks to be more nitrogen in the veg nutrients than the bloom so I'm going to try and catch the stretch the first week with the remaining veg nutrients that might remain in the soil after ive re-pot into my final containers for flower. Stay green my friend!

I was about to throw some two cents
Your 2 cents are always welcome here. Anytime you want to share something, it is appreciated. Talking about the bloom, I could have sworn someone here mixed their first week of bloom with some veg. Maybe I am off base but for some reason I recall someone saying they wanted to have more nitrogen available for their bloom.

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 20 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 16 (May 16th)

I'm thinking of topping #1 tomorrow. Based on how she looks, I think she can handle it without too much stress. She still looks a little sad*ish from the transplant though. Maybe I should wait until she's clearly happy and praying? Or just do it and get it over with? Haa haaa. So indecisive...

* UPDATE *
1,2,3 - VEG DAY 20 (May 12th)
7,8,9 - VEG DAY 16 (May 16th)

I'm thinking of topping #1 tomorrow. Based on how she looks, I think she can handle it without too much stress. She still looks a little sad*ish from the transplant though. Maybe I should wait until she's clearly happy and praying? Or just do it and get it over with? Haa haaa. So indecisive...

Looking great BakedARea! I think she's golden for a topping! You could also bend her big fan leaves downward letting the lower shoots catch up for a few days before topping and see just how quickly she recovers the stress of topping. Good luck my friend!

Looking great BakedARea! I think she's golden for a topping! You could also bend her big fan leaves downward letting the lower shoots catch up for a few days before topping and see just how quickly she recovers the stress of topping. Good luck my friend!
Thanks for the nudge Moto! I'll get it done first thing in the morning. I might be up late enough to do it before lights on at 1am.

I just realized that the photo I posted this morning was from yesterday 6/1. We really need the head slap emoji...

Anyway, these are pics from this morning 6/2. Seems like this will be the routine for a while. Get pics in the morning after 4.5 hours of light and then not get to posting them until the end of the day.

#1 is looking a little more droopy today. Still planning on topping her tomorrow morning though.

#7 & 9 are blowing up after their first top dress of 'VEG' from @GeoFlora Nutrients well...they are all blowing up actually! :D

Some bonsai inspired bending continues. I have a general vision of what I want to create. She may also have her own vision of what she wants to be. My guess is that her vision did not involve contortions and bends though!

Technically speaking, the word 'bonsai' simply means 'plant in pot'. Generally speaking it refers to the practice of miniaturizing trees in smaller pots. It helps create a sense of scale and maturity. I am new to bonsai as of last year. Since then I have seen a bunch of 'cannabonsai' inspiration online. I just knew I had to try it.

But hopefully everyone will understand my 'bonsai' updates will be referring to the culture and art of bonsai.

Back
Top Bottom