Good morning, Baked.

I'm sorry to see so much bud rot. I would be devastated, too. We've been putting our outdoor plants in the gazebo whenever it's going to rain so that the colas don't get too wet. That said, I've still had to remove bud rot from 2 places.

Are the trichomes for your outside plant? Amy Gardner discovered that harvesting outdoor plants by trichome colour is a little different than for indoor plants. @InTheShed can explain it better than me.

Ouch Baked!

It happens and you have done the right thing by removing and cleaning the infected parts. Be prepared to see more though. If the weather isn't in your favour then be especially ready. The cuts to the stems are now open to the elements and can become infected really easily.

I think that the bug is a Shield Bug. That's what it looks like but the ones we get here are bright green.

I can see some amber trichs in there.

the bug is a Shield Bug
Good call. That is exactly what it is. Thank you. Also called a stink bug.

Learned more here...

Basically, now I know these bastards can cause lots of damage too. I think they are just stopping into the garden, stopping for a munch, and then dying. I have only seen adults and they rarely move actively. Tells me the SNS209 is working on that end. Still sucks that now I have another pest to manage. At least I know now with quick visual. At first I was thinking it was a predator but it disguised itself well.

Also, I think you broke the server on that last photo bomb.

Amy Gardner discovered that harvesting outdoor plants by trichome colour is a little different than for indoor plants. @InTheShed can explain it better than me.
I actually just posted this recently:
It's not so much that trichome color generally may not be as accurate outside as much as it is that amber may not be the best gauge outside.

@Amy Gardner always told me that outside amber isn't like tent amber because of the impact of the sun on trichomes, and BeezLuiz discovered that harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber left him with very low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results.

So we are harvesting later than we have in the past to see how that goes. I've taken to letting the plant tell me when it's done, including when the smell changes and it starts drinking much more slowly, in addition to the number of cloudy/clear trichomes.

I actually just posted this recently:
It's not so much that trichome color generally may not be as accurate outside as much as it is that amber may not be the best gauge outside.

@Amy Gardner always told me that outside amber isn't like tent amber because of the impact of the sun on trichomes, and BeezLuiz discovered that harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber left him with very low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results.

So we are harvesting later than we have in the past to see how that goes. I've taken to letting the plant tell me when it's done, including when the smell changes and it starts drinking much more slowly, in addition to the number of cloudy/clear trichomes.
Hey Shed. Thanks for stopping stopping. Wisdom is always appreciated! I'm going to be letting my outside ladies go as long as I feel comfortable with it. I'm doing another thorough search and cut expedition today for botrytis. If I find that I've lost a significant amount since the last cut and treatment, then it may be coming down today sadly. Again, thanks for stopping by. I always appreciate your insight. I honestly didn't want to tag you or bug you because you're always so generous with your time with everyone.

Also, I think you broke the server on that last photo bomb.
:rofl: :passitleft:

*TENT UPDATE*
BLOOM @ 35 days since flip (5 weeks)

different angle from side window

Lights turned off while filling up the humidifier. This is with flash.

Here...I have some questions about what I should do with all of this lower canopy stuff. Should it be cut up to lollipop the main colas? Or just leave them and let them develop whatever they can?

An interesting experiment. A few weeks back I trimmed off some lower branching and decided that instead of throwing it in the compost, I would put some in a propagation bottle. I included of a gorgeous 'Manjula' pothos. Pothos are known for having incredible growth hormones. Well folks, proof is in the pudding! These little flower branches are still alive after all this time.

Here is one the craziest things to me...these leaves should be rotted by now!!! They are green and alive?!? I'm confused.

Forgot to include some information about their watering schedule. Today is day 3 since I gave them a drink. Today they are getting a big drench to get more of that GF to break down. I have a substantial amount still on the top surface, even with a mulch layer.

Using these wifi moisture meters has been a nice benefit. It is not a tool I would confident relying on to tell me whether or not to feed the plants. It does give me some general insight on their drinking patters though and visualizing it makes it much easier for me to understand. Seeing a soil moisture value in %, albeit not calibrated thoroughly YET, and watching the graph increase and decrease between waterings tells me that I can absolutely incorporate these in all my future grows.

Looking good indoors now buddy.

If you chop off that lower stuff then you'll save the plant from wasting energy trying to grow them. This in turn will allow for more energy to be distributed to the rest of the flowers. Or, if you're like me then you keep that lower stuff for making edibles or hash. I think that's the only real benefit of keeping it lol. I'll be showing you what I do with it in a couple of days after tonight's harvest.

Those cuttings could well root. I did some cloning in glass jars and I had roots in around 20 days. I still use glass jars and water now but have made some adjustments and can get a cutting to root in 10 days and sometimes even less. Once a cutting from a harvested plant took me 75 days to get roots and as soon as I planted it, it died lol.

Looking good indoors now buddy.

If you chop off that lower stuff then you'll save the plant from wasting energy trying to grow them. This in turn will allow for more energy to be distributed to the rest of the flowers. Or, if you're like me then you keep that lower stuff for making edibles or hash. I think that's the only real benefit of keeping it lol. I'll be showing you what I do with it in a couple of days after tonight's harvest.

Those cuttings could well root. I did some cloning in glass jars and I had roots in around 20 days. I still use glass jars and water now but have made some adjustments and can get a cutting to root in 10 days and sometimes even less. Once a cutting from a harvested plant took me 75 days to get roots and as soon as I planted it, it died lol.
A lot of great info! Thank you. That's cool about your cuttings. Sucks it died though. A lot of people lose plants from water propogating going into soil. Different kind of roots depending on the medium is my guess.
Looking nice and fluffy. In regards to the lower branches I try to take them off. If not, think about where they will be when the plant starts spreading her wings.
:rollit:
Thank you. Yes, I believe I have a bit too much in that canopy.
I think you know my answer on the thinning! I would have lollipopped them before I flipped them and 21 days post flip would have pulled off any buds that wouldn't connect to the top cola by harvest (but I leave the fans next to the larf).

I unquestionable recommend taking off what you outlined in red, that's for sure!
They (I) had a rough few weeks and they suffered during Veg. I decided to do minimal pruning while I got them prepped for flower. I did do some thinning but no major lollipopping. I will do some removing on really small stuff and anything else may left for making something else with it.

37 days since flip

#1, front right, was looking extra thirsty compared to the rest. They all ended up getting a drink. #1 & 9 got 3L and #3 & 7 got 2L.

Did some trimming on buds I snipped off a couple days ago from GSC #8. I left some sugar leaves on. I know they aren't pretty but it was necessary to open up all the buds and make sure there was no mold.

Speaking of trimming and nicely manicured buds. Who knows a good thread to go over the process?

Hey Baked, my hearts bent from seeing your outdoor plants botrytis pains! Ow! The indoor girls are making up though. They're looking great!
Yeah...it's been a bit heartbreaking but it was almost guaranteed to happen here. I can still do better with my preventative care. NOWHERE near as bad as it was last year. I have salvaged a lot of yield by staying on top of it and knowing what to look for early. Strip the buds there and treat with fungicide directly in that area. Also, next year I will probably use SNSDC from the beginning instead of closer to flower. I also should have been better with my foliar sprays being more consistent. Getting better and better as a gardener with my failures. I lowered the number of plants to manage as well.

INDOOR TENT UPDATE - DAY 39 Since Flip
I want to start with one of my favorite buds in the tent. It is on #7. Actually, #7 is the super model of the bunch and I can't help but stare at her and just dream.

Family pic

Hey @HashGirl #1 is starting the infamous droopy lean. :laugh: To be fair, these outer branches haven't been getting a ton of light.

Flipped August 22nd, my littles' birthday. Puts us at day 40 since flip! It has been nearly 3 days since their last watering but they are due for a top dress on Sunday. #1 looks and feels thirsty to me. I checked the soil and it feels like there is plenty of moisture there. I'm tempted to give them all 1L to hold them over until Sunday when they will get a full drench. Any thoughts? Pics of #1 below. Yes...I know...she's getting floppy. I'm getting her staked up. Or putting a cage around her and call it a day.

#7 x 4

Back
Top Bottom