Number 5 looks like it could be over-watered. I'd let it dry out a bit to see if she picks up the pace again.
Thanks PF for the input. I have her in a net pot inside that solo cup. I'm thinking of taking her out of the solo cup for a few days to see if that helps her dry out.

DAY 13 UPDATE - #1,2,& 3

#5 - Let's just say that it is currently drowning in soggy soil and doesn't look too good. Not very flattering and not so special anymore. :|

Hopefully she dries out and recovers because I really do want to do something special with her. I don't understand why this one went south in regard to over watering. I guess this is where measuring the quantity of water they receive and documenting it is important. Urgh...

DAY 2 UPDATE - #7,8, & 9

Totally spaced out this morning and didn't get this published. For a split second, I was feeling all emotional and butt hurt that nobody liked my update all damn day. Then I remembered, I'm just a baked idiot that forgot. Wait... isn't that like one of this grammatical sentences that...ehhh, never mind...to the update!

UPDATE - SEEDLING DAY 14 #1,2, & 3
#5 is officially drowned

#1 was really leaning hard this morning. I'm not sure why. I'm guessing it is my heavy hand with the water?!

They all seem to have this little twist to their first set of leaves. These may not be the best pics to show what I'm talking about. I may have to screenshot and highlight them. Anyone have any ideas what it could be that causes this? My first guess is they've got too much water in the soil. I'm not sure what else it could be.

There ya go BA, I liked your post! :laughtwo:
We all have our moments, even on the best of days lol

Those twisty leaves shouldn't be too much to worry about right now I wouldn't think. Lately I have seen a ton of people mentioning that their first couple sets of leaves are twisting. I see this a lot on even my own plants. The only thing I've been telling everyone that asks is to just ride it out. Yours don't look overwatered in the pictures, and looking at your thermometer, the temp and humidity seems to be ok. It could be a ph fluctuation that the plant is getting used to or it could be environment that causes it. Mine always seem to come out of it though.

As for the leaner, #1, is it possible that this plant is set on the outside edge of the light panel? If so, when the stalk or branches are young and bendy, they will move towards the spot with the most light if they aren't getting the amount they want. How far away is your light and what is the dimmer set at if equipped?

Oh, and sorry for the loss of #5, it happens. I have found in the past what helps for watering seedlings is a pop/water bottle with a couple of pin holes in it, or a very small drill bit. Here is what I used in a larger form for my 5 gallon containers. I too have a heavy hand with a watering can.

I hope of this info helps. You're doing a great job and the plants are looking good!

There ya go BA, I liked your post! :laughtwo:
We all have our moments, even on the best of days lol
Yaaaaayyyy!!! Ok, I feel good about myself again! Or maybe it's the Premium Jack I'm puffing on. Naahhh...I'll give the credit to Dick! Thanks man. I'm glad you found my humor.
:passitleft:
I see this a lot on even my own plants. The only thing I've been telling everyone that asks is to just ride it out.
10-4 I will wait it out. I am going to stay away from watering for at least the next 2 days. I think I sprayed enough over the past 2 weeks to take care of California's drought situation.
As for the leaner, #1, is it possible that this plant is set on the outside edge of the light panel?
#1 is directly under the middle of the light. It is 14" from the light, probably a little closer since the last time I measured (2 or 3 days ago). I used the Photone app to get a PPFD reading of ~480. I'm using the Bestva Pro1000 at approximately 25%. I haven't measured the actual wattage yet honestly.

#1 is directly under the middle of the light. It is 14" from the light, probably a little closer since the last time I measured (2 or 3 days ago). I used the Photone app to get a PPFD reading of ~480. I'm using the Bestva Pro1000 at approximately 25%. I haven't measured the actual wattage yet honestly.
Hmm, odd that it grew like that then. Im not sure what would cause that unless its just from the stretching. I have both of my p1000's in the tent running at about 40% on the seedlings. I noticed that one plant wanted to turn towards the other light as well. I just rotate them for now til they get bigger. I have not measured the wattage yet either, I forgot I had the tool for that haha

The light company provides ppfd charts at different hanging heights
I was going to respond on your journal about this statement and the pics you shared of the charts that they provided. Every company (@GrowTina ) should strive to providing that type of information to their customers. Other sponsors watching and reading should seriously consider making this a standard! It is critical information that most manufacturers are already getting anyway. Why not provide the consumers all the important data?! Just sayin...

both of my p1000's in the tent running at about 40% on the seedlings.
You think I should turn mine up some more? I was reading on the Bestva @GrowTina chart that I should be a higher distance and increased power to 60%. It would be great to see that alternative power setting at a lower height in order to save energy. I'm basing my PPFD goal off another grower's recommendation. I cannot remember the source but I managed to remember 400-600 PPFD for seedlings.

I just need to figure out when to increase the light and to how much at the right time. :hmmmm:

I haven't even hung my second Bestva P1000 yet. Haaa haaa. I will be hanging it on the rear right quadrant. It's currently in the background in a couple of my pics on the floor.

Baked, those seedling are stretched up and have fairly large leaves. That's the source of the lean. Too much water may also play a part.

You can deal with the stretch when you up-pot. For now I would fashion some sort of gadget to support the stems and keep them straightened.

Here is something used by @InTheShed:
1620903111370.png

I was going to respond on your journal about this statement and the pics you shared of the charts that they provided. Every company (@GrowTina ) should strive to providing that type of information to their customers. Other sponsors watching and reading should seriously consider making this a standard! It is critical information that most manufacturers are already getting anyway. Why not provide the consumers all the important data?! Just sayin...

You think I should turn mine up some more? I was reading on the Bestva @GrowTina chart that I should be a higher distance and increased power to 60%. It would be great to see that alternative power setting at a lower height in order to save energy. I'm basing my PPFD goal off another grower's recommendation. I cannot remember the source but I managed to remember 400-600 PPFD for seedlings.

I just need to figure out when to increase the light and to how much at the right time. :hmmmm:

I haven't even hung my second Bestva P1000 yet. Haaa haaa. I will be hanging it on the rear right quadrant. It's currently in the background in a couple of my pics on the floor.
Light hanging heights and intensity recommendations are just that, recommendations. It's more of an average of what plants like, but every strain could be a bit different. The 400-600 ppfd is a good number to be at, I read that somewhere as well, but seems like your plants want a little more. I'd turn it up some to slow down the stretching on your plants.

I'd turn it up some to slow down the stretching on your plants.
Thanks and I agree. I turned them up this morning to roughly 40% on the dial and didn't change the height. They do seem to be stretching huh. I honestly thought it was bright enough. One of the joys of growing under the sun...no need to worry about that!

Now I need to figure out my next move regarding @GeoFlora Nutrients . My seedlings are officially past the 2 week seedlings stage. I'm counting today as Day 1 of veg for #1,2, & 3. Unfortunately, I have had a heavy hand with the sprayer. They are not due for more water for at least a few more days is my guess. Which means my 2 week top dress feeding is being delayed right now. I know it is likely not a horrible thing nor do I feel that I need to be too worried. But what should my game plan be right now?

I am open to any and all opinions on what your approach would be in my situation. I am learning here and even if you have no experience like me but have an idea, please feel encouraged to offer it up here. No judgements here amigos! There are no bad ideas!

Just wanted to also take a quick minute of your time to say, Thank you! Thanks to everyone that has visited, watched, chimed in, liked, or disliked this journal. Y'all are appreciated! I know I have said it before but I had a couple disastrous grows the past couple years. It was a good and bad learning experience.

Obligatory Picture of some badass products I am fortunate enough to try! Thanks again to @GeoFlora Nutrients @DYNOMYCO & Earth Alive Soil Activator for the sponsored products!

All of these products are all currently cooking/charging in my soil mix (organic garden soil, earth worm castings, coco coir, pumice, turface, perlite, and vermiculite). It will be approximately 2-3 weeks of charging that soil. I made this mix specifically for only using the GF nutrients from start to finish! The base garden soil does have some amendments for nutrients. Not enough in my opinion to affect the GF results. The near future transplants will be into containers that will air prune the roots. I am sure I will get some raised eyebrows when I transplant them. Going out on a limb and testing something that I think may be new to this forum (container). Maybe not though! Stay tuned and be surprised or not.

For now I would fashion some sort of gadget to support the stems and keep them straightened.
Yes, I did that last night. I didn't get a pic though. I used a piece of wire tie that came with a power supply from one of the lights. Dug it into the soil and wrapped it up a little to keep it stable. I also snapped that little branch last week. I think it may still be a weak joint and not strong enough to hold the weight of the leaves like you mentioned.

I supported it and boosted the light intensity! Let's cross our fingers that is enough. I'm sure she'll be fine though.

UPDATE - #1,2, & 3 - VEG - Day 1
I decided to change my veg clock. Instead of using the first set of true leaves, I went with @Dano999 's method of counting 14 seedlings days (above ground) before starting the veg clock.

You can see my horrible wiring job to keep #1 supported. It worked though. I will try something a little better I think.

UPDATE - #7,8, & 9 - SEEDLING - Day 4
I will be going with @Emilya 's method of giving them 7 days of seedling growth before starting the veg clock.

I wanted to share some good vibes and encouragement to all the members that might read this. I really sincerely appreciate all the love that our sponsors have shared with me and all the growers for this grow. I am a firm believer in returning the favor when someone, a business, company, etc. does something nice for you. I feel like it is an opportunity for us to show our appreciation by referring their business and/or product(s) to others, especially if they are good quality products you can believe in. Another way to return the favor is by spending your hard earned $ (or "free" $ from the stimulus checks) and buy their products. Today, I had the opportunity to purchase some @GeoFlora Nutrients at a local grow store. It supports our grow shops and our sponsors! Really want to express how grateful I am for these companies and their support of this online community. I really hope we as members are able to make a difference in your success.

They had some @DYNOMYCO stickers! I had to grab some and put one on my brand new behemoth of a cup! I also purchased some @DYNOMYCO but through Amazon. They didn't have any at my local shop :( I encouraged their manager to get on it and order some. They were familiar with it and one of the guys has even used it. Then why not carry it?! I'm going to be honest, I love seeing the big ass granules of mycos! Watching it slowly break down and continually inoculate the soil just makes me believe it is working wonders. I have used and still have some other very good mycos products. This one is my favorite to use this far. It seems like I waste so much less!

So...another topic I wanted to share is smart technology!

I honestly love it! I knew exactly when my humidifier ran out of water. Luckily I was home and could get on it to fill it up. If I wasn't home, I could ask one of the kids to do it. Nahhhh... I'll just wait until I come home and fill it up! I have been watching it everyday anyway but I think this is something else I do NOT have to monitor closely or worry about. Let the tech help me and my brain stay less cluttered. I have a 6L capacity unit and it is very efficient for this 5x5 tent. It is rated for a 500+ sq ft room so it doesn't have to work too hard to keep my tent within the range I want.

The first time I filled it was with filtered water from my fridge. That was about a week ago. Unfortunately, it was still high in minerals and has been putting out a white residue on all the surfaces. Not something I will continue doing. In a pinch I will but I plan to be proactive and keep a good supply of RO water on hand for the humidifier, watering the plants, foliar sprays, etc.

I did get some of these demineralization bags but they didn't do a damn thing in my opinion to help. Maybe my water is just too hard. Anyone else try these? Your thoughts?

I decided to fill up some jugs with some RO water. Unfortunately, that RO source is specifically for the water utility. They use it to blend with the regular distribution water. Anyway, that RO has a TDS range between 100-500. That value changes depending on the cleanliness of the RO membranes and the last time they were cleaned by the utility.

Anywaaaaaay...
I will be using RO water from now on in the humidifier! I am tempted to pick up one of these systems for my home. This seems like the most practical for my family because we can use the RO water for many other things. I would like your thoughts if you have experience with a system like this.

Wow! How did I miss that you were in the GSC comparative grow! Sorry to be so late to the party, :eek: but glad I made it!
I’m caught up on the first page, and the last few pages, will go back and finish the middle when I can.

Hey Tommy! No worries man. Haven't missed too much. Other than killing one with not enough water and another one with too much water. You know...the normal! :laugh:

I'm too pissed at myself at this point that all I can do is laugh! LOL Glad you're joining in on the rollercoaster.

SUPER STOKED UPDATE!!!

O1 - Seedling Day 1 !!!

I was so excited to see this sight while I was out in the garden this afternoon! I had given up hope y'all. I thought for sure they were toast. I planted them directly in the soil on 4/28 (16 days ago). Well O1 decided to sprout! Looks like I officially have one of the @Weed Seeds Express Girl Scout Cookies growing outside now! I have never grown them from seed outdoors. If anyone has any wisdom they want to share so I don't kill her, please share. I'm now worried about too much sun, moisture, drying out, bugs, etc.

Nutrients by @GeoFlora Nutrients were amended into the soil at the time of planting the seed.
So excited!!! :ganjamon:

UPDATE
#1,2, & 3 - VEG DAY 3
#7,8, & 9 - SEEDLING DAY 6

They all still have some water weight to them. I haven't sprayed them for a few days now. They don't look stressed to me and are growing. In keeping with a routine, I got myself a paper desktop calendar. Something I can use for misc notes that may or may not end up here. I would like to get a little more detail oriented so that if something goes awry, I can include as many details as needed to get the proper help from everyone here.

I am adding the @GeoFlora Nutrients 'VEG' to the edges of #1,2, & 3 only and watering it in SLOWLY. I will be taking notes to the quantity as well. The other three already have some of the GF 'Veg' in the soil. So I will simply be watering the edges and a little around the root zone. I went with a 1/4 the recommended amount of GF 'Veg' in my seedling soil.

UPDATE
#1,2, & 3 - VEG DAY 4
#7,8, & 9 - SEEDLING DAY 7
O1 - Seedling Day 2

Not much has changed. I decided to NOT water or feed yesterday. I wanted to give them another 12+ hours and just take my time this morning. This will be a long entry with a lot of...blah blah blah...mixed with some pictures here and there...then a little more blah. Thanks for reading!

They all still looked super happy this morning. Other than #1 having slightly droopy leaves. What do you think?

Check out the picture of seedling #8! She's so damn cute and happy! Praying hard!

I wanted to wait until this morning to water and to give 1,2, & 3 their first @GeoFlora Nutrients 'VEG' top dress. I am using 3 different sized containers (testing as always). I split 1 oz between the three with #1 getting the most, then #2, and finally #3.

For my water, I mixed up some mosquito bits yesterday in a one gallon container. This morning, I strained some of that into a measuring cup where I mixed it with 0.33 mL (1/16 tsp)/cup of @Terpinator , and 0.5 mL/cup of the @Sierra Natural Science SNS209. In total, I mixed 1000 mL or just over 4 cups of solution. I did not end up using all of it for the GSC plants.

My goal with the watering was to go slow! With that said, I still went too fast at first. Haaa haaa. The soil was dry enough that along the edges it was pulling away from the containers. The water just went straight down and out the bottom. I stepped back and decided to add 1 Tb (15 mL) around the edges but literally only a few drops at a time allowing it to slowly saturate it. After doing that a few times spread out over 5-10 minutes, then one cycle was complete with one plant. Documented the total for that round and moved on to the next plant. A couple times, I could hear the water bubbling down through the soil.

Here is how much water I gave them all and the interval quantities. Each interval took a few minutes. So by the time I got to each plant, then I would come back and start again. My goal was to take my sweet ass time and not be in such a damn hurry. Document and understand what and why I am doing this!

#1 - 100 mL, 100 mL, & 60 mL (got runoff and stopped)

#2 - 100 mL, 50 mL (too fast and got runoff), & 50 mL and got less runoff than the previous interval - this is a seedling fabric bag. I allowed it to sit directly in my tray as I water so the fabric and soil could absorb some of the excess liquid. In hindsight, I should not have done this because I have no way of knowing how much of that was absorbed.

#3 - 50 mL, 50 mL to slight runoff, 30 mL and slight runoff

#7, 8, & 9 (same sized containers) - 50 mL, 30 mL, 30 mL to slight runoff

After that, they all got tilted to roughly 45° to reduce/eliminate the perched water table. They all got rid of more liquid which means I over watered. Urgh...
It's ok though! I am starting the learning process of being more precise with my watering methods.

O1 - Received 100 mL around the base of the stem and surrounding it for about 3 inches.

Are you still reading?! Ok fine...here are some more pictures for you then.

#1 is working on node 3 with 4 following closely behind

Roots are starting to poke through for #2!

O1 looks like the cotyledons are showing signs of stress or nute burn. Not sure but it seems to be growing slowly at the moment.

I did a little digging and found O2. I don't think there is any hope for this one. I buried it again anyway so we'll see.

Also, fungus life pushing through my mulch layer near O1

Happy Sunday everyone and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom