That's awesome info! Thank you. My biggest thing this season is being more consistent with the preventative side of their care. The 209 look like it will be an awesome way to keep them protected. I was going to spray/slightly drench the seedling soil with it but I'm not sure that would have been ok. So I'm going to wait until there is good foliage growth.

I have a bunch of pics and updates to post. I passed out last night...
I sprayed my soil very lightly with the light blue at very low strength in order to start fresh. I think I found my bug issue around my place and it will start by taking care of my rental homes yard first in oder for me to be able to attack them full on here indoors. So honestly I might be using the red SNS until I move or get a handle on my pest problems out side, it's hard when houses near are collapsing due to termites and ants!!!

Before I get into the seed update, I wanted to share a new seedling mix I made. I love playing/experimenting with different soil mixes for various plants and their needs.

Unfortunately, I don't do a good job of documenting the ratios. I honestly go by feel. I understand that does not help much but here is the estimated ratio based on what my brain is telling me to tell you.

Ingredients: Whitney Farms Organic Planting Soil (2 parts), E.B Stone Organics Worm Castings (2 parts), Sunshine Mix 4 (1 part), and Turface MVP (1 part)

I would greatly appreciate your insight about the ingredients, the consistency, and anything else you like or dislike about it.

Whitney Farms ingredients and nutrients, I feel it is a very good soil. I recently found it at Costco of all places. I tried one bag a few months ago on some basic annual flowers. They flourished! I decided to buy a bunch more and they have been "cooking" on my driveway for the past month and half. They do amend their soil with very little organic nutrients. I feel that little bit of chow for the microbes will assist the seedlings whenever they are ready to eat and I don't have to intervene or worry about them getting hungry until the @GeoFlora Nutrients gets broken down.

Anybody else use gloves like me?!

*read their warning...:rofl::blunt:oops*

Sifting ingredients with a 4mm plate. I try not to waste too much time breaking up ingredients with my hands. I break up larger pieces and that's it. The rest gets sifted and then thrown into a tub for my "all-in-one" mix. Basically, it's a mashup of a bunch of ingredients that I will use for landscaping transplanting or for whatever the hell I feel like using it for. :smokin:

Also, I'm sure some of you may not be familiar with the product but I use Turface MVP for added drainage for bonsai and houseplants. It is a calcined clay product that assists with moisture retention as well as provide drainage. I have never tried it with cannabis so I figured I would give it a try at their most vulnerable stage in life. I will also be trying some DE (diatomaceous earth) granules in the future. Another very good soil amendment in my opinion!

I always pre-moisten my seedling soil mix too! Do yourself the favor of doing this folks!

I want the dampness of a well rung out sponge. I can squeeze it as hard as I can and nearly nothing comes out. A drop or two at most. I try to get it moist enough that I can squeeze and get nothing out. Again, I go by feel but I "know" it is moist enough to accept water easily when it comes time to water in the seeds. It is important to remember that some ingredients (coco and peat particularly) can become hydrophobic when they are dry. I store my promix in a large tub and it is bone dry. Last thing you want is a seed in a dry mix that won't accept water easily. So pre-moisten your soil mix!

You can see in one of the pictures where I scraped off the top 1/2 or so of the soil. Underneath it, it was almost completely dry. I use my hose on the mist function and give it a good amount at first (no exact amount...sorry). Then I mix it up with my non-gloved hands. Then I spray again and mix again. Then I spray some more and mix again. I keep doing that until I get the right consistency. Something which I can't really get a feel for with gloves on!

Seed update on the next post!

Ok! Seed update! So this was supposed to get posted yesterday. Life is life and will get in the way of just about anything. I am a full-time working family man (wife, kids, and pets). You can rest assured that one of those three will typically throw a wrench into my damn plans at least once per pay! If anyone is looking for some kids to take care of, let me know. And NO! You cannot have my dogs.

Oh, yeah...seed update! 4 of 6 seeds popped so far. Wifey took a pic for me around the 60ish hrs mark. Then I took some pics later when I got home, putting them around 70 hrs. Amazing to see the difference in growth already.

The rest of the pics speak for themselves but this pic in particular is important to me. I know I have been saying it a lot but I am sincerely grateful to @420 and his crew for letting me be a part of this! I am not a successful grower. Far from it. The past two outdoor seasons (my first by the way) have been horrid. This being my first indoor grow I felt would be a good opportunity to show how good genetics are vital to success. Our input into the process can ruin it though! That's where all of you come into the scene...you inadvertently became/become mentors so to speak. I want to be reminded everytime I walk into my tent who made it possible for me to have this opportunity. Again, gracias amigo @420 for taking a chance on this green indoor grower. Heee heee, see what I did there...green grower...hee hee..ok never mind.

Enough gabbing already...geez...

I'll be trying four different containers for these babies. Three with my seedling soil and one in a peat pellet.

Ready to get these babies moved! Scratched in some @DYNOMYCO into the top surface before moving the seeds in.

Ok, they are all moved in at this point. I have sensors monitoring the bottom of the containers as well as just above the soil surface. So now we wait for them to break the surface!

I wanted to share a little bit about my humble growing space. I bought most of it last year, and I just never got around to actually using it. Set it all up and for the better part of a year it has sat empty and forgotten about. I was intimidated and nervous. I didn't want to fail again.

I'm using a @Mars Hydro 5x5 in my garage as you can see. You can see it is a little cramped but that's all I have to work with at the moment. I have plans to make more room but that is well into the future.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! Count your blessings and accept this slap on your ass to get you up and going about your day! Until next time!

Before I get into the seed update, I wanted to share a new seedling mix I made. I love playing/experimenting with different soil mixes for various plants and their needs.

Unfortunately, I don't do a good job of documenting the ratios. I honestly go by feel. I understand that does not help much but here is the estimated ratio based on what my brain is telling me to tell you.

Ingredients: Whitney Farms Organic Planting Soil (2 parts), E.B Stone Organics Worm Castings (2 parts), Sunshine Mix 4 (1 part), and Turface MVP (1 part)

I would greatly appreciate your insight about the ingredients, the consistency, and anything else you like or dislike about it.

Whitney Farms ingredients and nutrients, I feel it is a very good soil. I recently found it at Costco of all places. I tried one bag a few months ago on some basic annual flowers. They flourished! I decided to buy a bunch more and they have been "cooking" on my driveway for the past month and half. They do amend their soil with very little organic nutrients. I feel that little bit of chow for the microbes will assist the seedlings whenever they are ready to eat and I don't have to intervene or worry about them getting hungry until the @GeoFlora Nutrients gets broken down.

Sifting ingredients with a 4mm plate. I try not to waste too much time breaking up ingredients with my hands. I break up larger pieces and that's it. The rest gets sifted and then thrown into a tub for my "all-in-one" mix. Basically, it's a mashup of a bunch of ingredients that I will use for landscaping transplanting or for whatever the hell I feel like using it for. :smokin:

Also, I'm sure some of you may not be familiar with the product but I use Turface MVP for added drainage for bonsai and houseplants. It is a calcined clay product that assists with moisture retention as well as provide drainage. I have never tried it with cannabis so I figured I would give it a try at their most vulnerable stage in life. I will also be trying some DE (diatomaceous earth) granules in the future. Another very good soil amendment in my opinion!

I always pre-moisten my seedling soil mix too! Do yourself the favor of doing this folks!

I want the dampness of a well rung out sponge. I can squeeze it as hard as I can and nearly nothing comes out. A drop or two at most. I try to get it moist enough that I can squeeze and get nothing out. Again, I go by feel but I "know" it is moist enough to accept water easily when it comes time to water in the seeds. It is important to remember that some ingredients (coco and peat particularly) can become hydrophobic when they are dry. I store my promix in a large tub and it is bone dry. Last thing you want is a seed in a dry mix that won't accept water easily. So pre-moisten your soil mix!

You can see in one of the pictures where I scraped off the top 1/2 or so of the soil. Underneath it, it was almost completely dry. I use my hose on the mist function and give it a good amount at first (no exact amount...sorry). Then I mix it up with my non-gloved hands. Then I spray again and mix again. Then I spray some more and mix again. I keep doing that until I get the right consistency. Something which I can't really get a feel for with gloves on!

Ohh no your In trouble now haha I've been smothering my skin in all sorts of nasty chemicals my entire life in lawncare. I'm still standing aahhhha ha! Thanks for this info though BakedARea I'm actually going to consider using this if you wouldn't mind. I started a compost pile outside a couple years ago but my direction in life tells me I won't be living here much longer to enjoy the pleasures so I've been actually just getting rid of the mess I started so that I can prepare the soil else where. Cheers my friend

Thanks for this info though BakedARea I'm actually going to consider using this if you wouldn't mind.

Of course! Which part are you considering?
If I can help, let me know.
I started a compost pile outside a couple years ago but my direction in life tells me I won't be living here much longer to enjoy the pleasures
Much longer? :( You say that because you have an expiration date or generally speaking?! I would prefer to read the latter of course because I could say the same. It will eventually happen for us all. Don't give up on your pile. You can speed it up by adding more nitrogen sources. You could potentially have some compost ready in a few months.

Nice write up Baked. I've been growing in hydro since it became legal here. I am going to grow in soil for my next grow. I may use your mix as a start and throw in a few of my own ingredients which is the fun part.

Of course! Which part are you considering?
If I can help, let me know.

Much longer? :( You say that because you have an expiration date or generally speaking?! I would prefer to read the latter of course because I could say the same. It will eventually happen for us all. Don't give up on your pile. You can speed it up by adding more nitrogen sources. You could potentially have some compost ready in a few months.
I'm going to have to build a soil or grab some from a local Hydro store. But you have a pretty nice list down that looks like a healthy start to building one so I just might start with your blend.

Ignore my downward spiral this comparison is going on during times of struggle and understanding for me. Town here has me on edge starting to think about where I'm from originally and corn fields seem much more settling than the brown River I've been connected with lately.

But I'm enjoying your grow so I'll stick around here at least. Cheers

I may use your mix as a start and throw in a few of my own ingredients which is the fun part.
That's the fun part of mixing soils. Adding and removing components as you see fit.
you have a pretty nice list down that looks like a healthy start to building one so I just might start with your blend.
It should be a good soil. The planting soil can be easily subbed out with other comparable readily available options at grow shops or big box stores. Everything can be easily subbed out EXCEPT the worm castings! Always use high quality castings.

That's the fun part of mixing soils. Adding and removing components as you see fit.

It should be a good soil. The planting soil can be easily subbed out with other comparable readily available options at grow shops or big box stores. Everything can be easily subbed out EXCEPT the worm castings! Always use high quality castings.
I'm going to be a complete noob using Geoflora nutrients so I'm planning on winging it and hope for the best but from what I've read everyones using it already so I'm in for a big challenge coming up! I have to read on the soil activator still that I got but I'm serious about taking your stuff to notes now so I don't plan on going large scale sale on ya haha. I've always used fox farm ocean forest and local Hydro store in house blends. I guess I have been lazy lol lost 55 pounds tho due to Jane so I guess I'm in for the mix a challenge.

I can already see a 420 Magazine calendar with a bunch of old dudes that are sweaty and dirty while mixing some soils! HOT & SEXY!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I sure hope this includes some older ladies as well lmao then I'd actually pay money to have this 420 Magazine calendar in my cave alongside old torn off calendar dream girls that signed for me but never went home with me haha!

Probably just a bunch of old guys with plumber's ass cracks.
Well I can line up the photo shoot with some great characters but I'll leave the alone time with the camera for the brave and willing to try new things type of people haha. Sorry BakedARea I dont want to steal the show stay green Dano999 an BakedARea much love can't wait to watch these gscs come to life in flower. I believe I have a cookie pheno about to start flowering soon but I won't know 100% until I find something to give me a good strain detail.

Sorry BakedARea I dont want to steal the show
Haa haa...nah man. I wouldn't take it that way. I would definently hope we get a calendar with some lady growers instead! My imagination is going wild thinking what your centerfold pic would look like. Quick question...are you a thong wearing kind of dude or speedo kind of guy?!
I believe I have a cookie pheno about to start flowering soon but I won't know 100% until I find something to give me a good strain detail.
That is exciting! I hope it turns out for you.

Sorry for the late reply. Remember I told you all about spoiled plans...well I spent most of the afternoon and last night at the hospital with my wife. They ended up keeping her for the night, kicked me to the curb (covid protocol), and now I am just waiting until I can go back during their visiting hours. Sorry for venting the personal crap y'all...just worried and sad. Nothing I can do but wait. I just woke up and I'll be heading into the tent soon. Update pics coming soon.

Sorry to be late, @BakedARea. I got here as soon as I could though, and I'm all caught up. I'll be here for a while. Mind if I take a seat near the buffet table?

Great intro to your grow! You covered all the basics. And congrats on all the sponsor's goodies.

I too have a 5x5 tent and I'm also using GeoFlora, so I'll be keenly interested in how this goes. (I also use the SNS 209.)

While catching up, I saw a few things where I could provide a little (very little) input:

I will be breaking down the 5x5 growing space into either 4 or 6 zones/quadrants. I am leaning toward 4 plants in 4 zones. Each in a 7 gallon fabric pot. Thoughts?!
Four plants in 7gals is ideal for a 5x5 tent. (Six plants, if in 7gal pots would be super-crowded.) I just grew 6 in 4gal pots and it was a good fit, and I've already decided that my next 5x5 grow will be four 7gals.
I envision my canopy all the way to the damn top of the tent because I have no idea when to stop
LOL. You won't let that happen. Just be mindful of the height of the tops of the plants in flower and the amount of space they can grow before reaching the light(s). Once the plant height is at or near the halfway point between the top of the plant and the light you probably want to flip. That way, if it doubles in height after the flip you still won't reach the light. (But in that scenario, you'd be very close!)
You can see it is a little cramped but that's all I have to work with at the moment.
And I see from the tent pic that the side openings are not going to be much help for maintaining the plants. Be prepared for some contortions. :laughtwo:
I can already see a 420 Magazine calendar with a bunch of old dudes that are sweaty and dirty while mixing some soils! HOT & SEXY!
That might make for a good consolation prize for OTM contest losers!
Probably just a bunch of old guys with plumber's ass cracks.
Then again, maybe not! :rofl:

Happy growing, @BakedARea!
Smell you later!

Edit: Oops, I meant to show you the fit of the 6 plants in 4gal pots in my 5x5.

Photo Tent 4-12-21.JPG

Mind if I take a seat near the buffet table?
Stoked to have you here GDB!
Four plants in 7gals is ideal for a 5x5 tent.
Thank you for confirmation on that. Much appreciated. I will focus on just 4 in the tent.
Once the plant height is at or near the halfway point between the top of the plant and the light you probably want to flip. That way, if it doubles in height after the flip you still won't reach the light. (But in that scenario, you'd be very close!)
10-4
That might make for a good consolation prize for OTM contest losers!
Absolutely!!! Haaa haaa haaaa

Haa haa...nah man. I wouldn't take it that way. I would definently hope we get a calendar with some lady growers instead! My imagination is going wild thinking what your centerfold pic would look like. Quick question...are you a thong wearing kind of dude or speedo kind of guy?!

That is exciting! I hope it turns out for you.

Sorry for the late reply. Remember I told you all about spoiled plans...well I spent most of the afternoon and last night at the hospital with my wife. They ended up keeping her for the night, kicked me to the curb (covid protocol), and now I am just waiting until I can go back during their visiting hours. Sorry for venting the personal crap y'all...just worried and sad. Nothing I can do but wait. I just woke up and I'll be heading into the tent soon. Update pics coming soon.
Just so we're clear I laugh reacted at the first part of this response before I even read the 2nd half.

I hope your wife is doing OK and it's nothing too serious. That's the worst part about this covid bullshit. You can have a single person over to your home (in my area) because of mental health a person shouldn't be alone, but can't go in the dam hospital with your loved one or child at times of need if something happened. The world is so turned upside down and backwards at the moment.

I'm going to be honest with everyone...my mind is not on the grow right now. Going through quite the emotional rollercoaster right now. Wife is in the hospital and I can't do anything about not being hy her bedside. Damn covid regulations kept me home away from her last night and still can't go until later this afternoon. Anyway...just felt the need to vent. If I don't respond back right away, please understand why.

Figured I needed to check in on the @Weed Seeds Express GSC babies though! Try my best to keep myself busy and bring my heart and mind some peace. Guess what...4 of 4 have breached!!!

What setting should I put my light on for now? These are two @ViparSpectra P1500. I have them both set at 5%. They are at 20" from the seedlings. I am getting ~200 ppfd from the Photone App. Is this enough light for them? Or maybe too much? At what rate should I increase the light while they are growing?

Is it better to maintain the same distance and dial up the dimmer? Not really sure which method to pursue right now.

Light at 20 inches & ~ 200+ PPFD
Light at 30 inches & ~ 100+ PPFD

I also wanted to share some of the technology I will be utilizing for this grow. I will be monitoring the temperature, humidity, and soil moisture via wifi sensors. I will also be calibrating the sensors to how I monitor my indoor plants...wooden sticks! It is a wonderful way to get deep inside and know how the moisture is beyond the finger sticking method which is not normally helpful.

In the pics below you will see how wet the stick is after a week since I last watered that Alocasia. I will have a sensor in each of the 4 plants in the tent. First I need to calibrate each sensor with fully saturated soil.

Some of the data screens I will be able to see and keep track of during the grow.

Have a good weekend everyone and know your blessings! If you don't feel like you have any then rest assured that I just sent you some blessings so now you can't argue with me. You ARE blessed!

Just so we're clear I laugh reacted at the first part of this response before I even read the 2nd half.
It is all good Dick. I didn't take it the wrong way at all. I hide my stress and anxiety with humor. I would prefer you laughing with me versus being sad with me if that makes sense. I appreciate the kind words. My heart and soul are with her right now...just trying to keep my sanity for the sake of my kiddos. All we know is that she is battling some nasty bacteria in her blood most likely. Her blood pressure dropped to unsafe levels last night.

Plus...had I taken it the wrong way, I would have said to myself..."what a DICK!" and then shrugged it off because I'm normally a dick too. :laugh: :passitleft:

I think it is time for the other half of that j...peace y'all

I've been looking at getting some sort of sensors and a camera to monitor my grow room at some point. With summer coming ya never know when I could be gone for a couple days or a weekend. What's the brand of those ones you're using? I need to get searching up some of these things.

I know exactly what you mean by using humor to hide other emotions and battles, happens to me to. I'm always joking around even when I likely shouldn't be. I try to make the best of situations in my own way, I get how you feel. Keep your head high and a smile on for those kids, they will feel your energy good or bad, mine do. I wish the best for your wife and hope for a speedy recovery to get her home.

Yeah I dunno if they call me dick cause I am one, or cause it my nickname... :rofl:
Having a puff for ya now my firend!

Back
Top Bottom