Sending your wife the best my friend! Cant wait till the hospital's gets cannabis into the system or at least a hope for people like us in the cannabis community I'll be back to finish this message once I'm back home from doing family labor type stuff my friend and possibly a garden update if my mind allows me to create one. So far not to many are interested in my journal so...

Sorry to hear about your wife, Baked. I hope they figure out what's wrong and fix her up quickly and send her back home to her family.

I've told my husband he's not allowed to be hospitalized until the pandemic is over because it would drive me crazy not being able to visit him.

My cousin is currently hospitalized and because of the Covid restrictions, he's allowed no visitors not even his wife and he'll be there for 100 days so that really sucks.

I hope your wife is back home and well much faster than that. :hug:

Praying your wife gets well soon and can come home Baked.

I regards to the lighting. In terms of Lux the light can be between 8000 and 20000. I have mine set on 12500. I used the app you use and compared the readings to my Lux meter. The app showed 13500 for full spectrum LED. The fact it says to use some white paper as a diffuser can probably give different results depending on the weight of the paper. After calibrating the app to match my 12500 Lux I could verify the PPFD reading was 215.

I would say you are probably on the low side for PPFD with 113. PPFD to Lux for my LEDs is x 58. Your 113 is about 6550, below the 8000 minimum.

What's the brand of those ones you're using?
I found these on Amazon. They are EcoWitt. There are a couple other brands but the sensors are way more. The app and trending charts on some of the other brands is much better from what I have seen on the reviews. There is a little bit of finagling needed to get the app and sensor working. Once it is done though, it is pretty easy. Other than that, I would recommend them.
Sending your wife the best my friend!
Thank you Moto! Much appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your wife, Baked. I hope they figure out what's wrong and fix her up quickly and send her back home to her family.
Thank you HG! Right now, they are treating for sepsis. The antibiotics they are using seem to be working. Latest update about an hour ago was that she might be able to come home tomorrow. That is best case scenario and the only scenario I'm thinking about at this point. No more complications please!!!

Praying your wife gets well soon and can come home Baked
Thanks so much Dano. We're praying that she's back home tomorrow. My soul will feel much better having her home where we can love and spoil her while she recovers.

I found these on Amazon. They are EcoWitt. There are a couple other brands but the sensors are way more. The app and trending charts on some of the other brands is much better from what I have seen on the reviews. There is a little bit of finagling needed to get the app and sensor working. Once it is done though, it is pretty easy. Other than that, I would recommend them.

Thank you Moto! Much appreciated.

Thank you HG! Right now, they are treating for sepsis. The antibiotics they are using seem to be working. Latest update about an hour ago was that she might be able to come home tomorrow. That is best case scenario and the only scenario I'm thinking about at this point. No more complications please!!!

Thanks so much Dano. We're praying that she's back home tomorrow. My soul will feel much better having her home where we can love and spoil her while she recovers.
Sending praying I just had to research what sepsis was and man thats insane! If I could I'd be rolling a big fat one up for ya both for her return home!
Ill try and send some garden love your way once I get in their! I know this is nothing as serious as what your going threw with your wife and all but just took the bike out for a cruise get it back after dodging two dear in some back roads. We'll survived all that but when I went to open my garage door apparently my front tire was touching the door enough for it to fall slaming into some brick! now the gas tank got punched by a brick wall and looks very depressing to look at so my ass Is done for tonight! Still can't pass a joint to ya so cheers BakedARea

#5 of 6 has finally popped! For this little experiment, I went with a 3" net cup inside a solo cup filled with small lava stone to raise the net cup and act as a reservoir. I installed a cotton string to the cup to aid in capillary action. I also did NOT include any @DYNOMYCO to this one. I want to see how it compares to the rest. I know it is technically a day behind in the soil but it seemed like something I wanted to try.

At this point, is it safe to say that #6 is a dud?

What do you think @Weed Seeds Express ? I dunked them on 4/20 at 8:30pm for 24hrs. It has been in a paper towel since then.

After they break the surface of the soil, that is day 1 for them correct?

Should I put a dome over the seedlings? Or is a tent RH between 50-65% ok?

If I cover them with a dome, they would be hovering in the 80s-90s % RH most likely.

Also, should I exhausting right now? I was reading in a couple articles (probably last year and I couldn't find them again to reference them here, sorry). They mentioned that running the inline fan and filter prematurely will shorten the life span of the carbon filter. It mentioned that the air exchange is not as important during the seedling stage because they haven't developed enough foliage to take advantage of it. Is there any truth to that?

At the moment, I only have a small single fan oscillating inside. I am counting on passive intake only right now.

Also, a few quick photo updates since I was getting #5 in the tent.

Look how damn pretty #1 is already! 1st set of true leaves?! Looks like the @DYNOMYCO is breaking down nicely too. As soon as those feeder roots start expanding, they are going to find a match made in heaven!

#3 was having a small issue. I may have not packed the top of the seed tight enough to have been able to slough off the casing on its own. I manipulated the casing ever so slightly and it moved on it's own. I felt comfortable removing it the rest of the way.

Looking good, Baked. Good news about your wife's response to the antibiotics. I hope she comes home tomorrow as anticipated.

Day Two for #1 thru 4 and Day 1 for #5...kind of. Another stuck shell. It's already behind a couple days. Hopefully it sheds it on it's own by tomorrow morning. If not, I will assist again.

I think for the sake of my sanity, after tomorrow I will be referencing them all as the same day. Everyone cool with that?!

Also...wifey came home this afternoon! 2 hrs home and fever came back. Urgh...watching and caring for her closely. Praying the antibiotics do their job. Thanks for all the love y'all. Really appreciate all the well wishes and good vibes. They helped me the past couple days. Have a good night!

Day Two for #1 thru 4 and Day 1 for #5...kind of. Another stuck shell. It's already behind a couple days. Hopefully it sheds it on it's own by tomorrow morning. If not, I will assist again.

I think for the sake of my sanity, after tomorrow I will be referencing them all as the same day. Everyone cool with that?!

Also...wifey came home this afternoon! 2 hrs home and fever came back. Urgh...watching and caring for her closely. Praying the antibiotics do their job. Thanks for all the love y'all. Really appreciate all the well wishes and good vibes. They helped me the past couple days. Have a good night!
Nice start and may your wifey get well soon

A quick update on #5. Looks like another stuck helmet. I sprayed it and covered it with a dome for a while. Came back and got it off.

Technically it is 2 days behind the others. I will upload pics of the others later.

I have no idea what day to say these are on! :laugh: From the day they popped out of the seed or out of the soil? I honestly want to keep things consistent with how everyone else does it.

To me, the seedling stage is exciting and not boring. They go through quite a bit of miraculous changes in such a short time. So I'll be doing my best to get pics daily.

Unfortunately, I was a complete dope last night and knocked over the dome from #5 onto #1 and bent her stalk in half! :nervous-guy:
I put a couple supports to stand her up and here's what she looks like on her own this morning!!! I'll smoke one to that recovery! :blunt:

Have a good day everyone!

They look like they could all be called day one to keep things easy. I often wait for them to be standing tall before starting the veg clock.
They look great by the way.
I love that idea! Resetting the clock to day 1 because the Professor said so! :D I appreciate the insight.

Thinking of it this way, waiting until they have their first true leaves would be acceptable? Even if a couple of them get em a day or two before, it is not THAT big of a deal to generalize the veg clock at this early in the growth? Thoughts?

I love that idea! Resetting the clock to day 1 because the Professor said so! :D I appreciate the insight.

Thinking of it this way, waiting until they have their first true leaves would be acceptable? Even if a couple of them get em a day or two before, it is not THAT big of a deal to generalize the veg clock at this early in the growth? Thoughts?
I agree with when the true leaves are showing to start the veg clock.

Ok...knowing they are a sponsor and my fave local grow store started to carry it...I decided to pick some up. Anyone else use this? How does this affect a LOS grow? I am inclined to include this on one pot so that I can compare the GSC harvest. How does this play with the @GeoFlora Nutrients ?

Ok...knowing they are a sponsor and my fave local grow store started to carry it...I decided to pick some up. Anyone else use this? How does this affect a LOS grow? I am inclined to include this on one pot so that I can compare the GSC harvest. How does this play with the @GeoFlora Nutrients ?

I just purchased some used only once. Wait and see what happens. Maybe someone with experience using it will reply

I've had good results using it but have not done any comparisons using it with and without to see the difference. It's made by the same company as GeoFlora and is compatible with their nutes and just about any other nutrients. It's essentially a K booster. PK boosters are a pretty common MMJ supplement during flowering. This is just boosting the K, though. :Namaste:

Alright y'all!!! Exciting news! This is my introduction to the 2021 outdoor growing season. What better way than to make it part of my Official @420 & @Weed Seeds Express GSC Comparative Grow?!?

A sincere and grateful heart to all the other sponsors for this part of the grow too! @GeoFlora Nutrients , @DYNOMYCO , #earthalive #soilactivator , and @Sierra Natural Science

***This may be a long post. Nay...this IS a long post. I wanted to include a bunch of pics and explanations. You have been warned. ***

I wanted to dedicate some prime outdoor California real estate for the the Girl Scout Cookies by @Weed Seeds Express. I decided that I wanted to direct sow two seeds in my raised garden beds. No containers and no restrictions to their root depth. My garden beds are organic and compose of multiple years of amending with a variety of inputs. This will be the 4th year of growing in them but the first attempt to grow cannabis in them. The beds were amended with compost, used potting soil, composted chicken manure, and alfalfa pellets. The beds have been cooking the manure for over 4 weeks. The alfalfa meal has been cooking for just over 2 weeks. I will be approaching these plants similarly to how I grow my typical veggies and fruits. Obviously with a little more care and attention to these plant's growing habits though.

GSC O1 (Outdoor 1) will be grown using @GeoFlora Nutrients . I went with a light initial feeding to start charging the soil a little extra and give it a head start. I will be top dressing the rest of the way as they recommend based on a 20 gallon container size or just under 4 cubic feet of soil. That may change later but I'm guessing that should suffice.

Here is a look at the top of my garden soil. It looks dry and a little dull right?! Actually, I think it is beautiful. It is loaded with a lot of different inputs. Wait until you see what lies beneath!

Here it is only an inch or less below the surface! I haven't watered this section of the bed for over two weeks. Last watering was a little bit of rain a week ago. This soil is rich, fertile, and ready to grow anything!

I first mounded up a few inches of soil to give me some extra root height. I did this to roughly a 18" diameter section.

I added some @GeoFlora Nutrients "VEG" to the mound. Again, I went with a light initial feeding as suggested on there bag. 1oz per gallon of soil. So I spread 20oz (liquid oz measurement) . There is already plenty of nutrients in my soil for the seedling that will be bioavailable whenever it is ready and needs it. As it grows and requires more, the microbes will have already broken down the VEG granules and she can gorge herself on whatever nutes she needs.

Then some @DYNOMYCO was added to supercharge the soil even more than it is!

I sowed a single GSC seed and I feel confident that it will germinate. I just have faith!

I sowed some Crimsom Clover cover crop. This is an excellent nitrogen fixer. I'm not actually planning on mulching this plant with any of the clover. I will be using the cut clover in other areas instead. I want to see what the GeoFlora can do without the "green" nitrogen rich mulch. The clover roots will still bring in some nitrogen into the root zone anyway but gar less than what is found in the foliage of the clover.

I also sowed one of my go to companion plants, marigolds! These marigold seeds are a hybrid that I accidentally produced last year. These plants will suck up nutrients but not enough for me to be concerned. They are a very shallow rooted plant.

After that, I water the seeds in. I prefer to water in slowly instead of a large initial flooding. Meaning, I let my first watering soak in for a few minutes before coming back and doing it again. I go over them 2 or 3 times at each stage of the process.

I then cover my soil with straw mulch (~½ inch or so) and water that in again 2 or 3 times. I then put my humidity dome on.

After that, I finish it off with some coco chunk mulch. This will keep the top soil cooler and protected from the sun, preventing excessive evaporation.

I then did my final watering with the Earth Alive Soil Activator. This is my first time using this product. Thanks again @GeoFlora Nutrients for sending my some to sample and try in my garden. I used 5oz (liquid measuring glass) in 3 gallons of water. I used all the extra to inoculate various fruit tree containers. A little goes a long way!

I installed a tall tomato cage to support the initial growth and training. The larger supports will be done later.

On to the next one...GSC Plant O2!
To keep things interesting and comparative, I decided that I will not feed this plant any GeoFlora Nutrients. I will instead approach it like I normally would if I was growing a hungry veggie or fruit. Let's use an indeterminate tomato for example. They require a lot of nutrients in order to provide good and abundant fruit throughout the season. For me, I can harvest tomatoes as late as December. That means adding lots of extra stuff to the soil (bone meal, kelp meal, azomite, alfalfa meal, feather meal, etc.). This does mean buying a lot more stuff and a lot more thinking about how much to include of each ingredient. The simple GF VEG measurement and application for O1 took me less than a minute. My process...let's just agree that it took a LOT longer. And a lot more stuff to lug into the garden and back out again. There is something to paying for convenience folks!

I included @DYNOMYCO again for O2 though because I always use a myco product with my plants to just give them an innoculent boost.

For this one, I planted some cover crop again but utilized the 12" of space around the plant to sow some microgreens. I will be able to harvest microgreens salads throughout the season. I covered up all the seeds I sowed with worm castings, watered in, mulched, and labeled. No tomato tower for this one. I don't know why...I'll probably end up doing it. I was thinking of making a tall square tower using hog panels instead. We'll see.

This little volunteer will be getting a lot of yummy nutrients. This is growing about 6 inches away from the GSC O2. If it becomes unruly or in the way, it will have a meeting with my worms.

That's it for now. If you made it this far and didn't cheat, please give yourself a pat on the back and a gold star. I appreciate you tagging along on my growing journey.

Blessings!

Back
Top Bottom